Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull Hurricane Laser

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Walby28/02/2019 17:28:44
952 forum posts
228 photos

Update time

Following the club inspectors checks which picked up a few valuable errors by myself the hurricane proceeded to fail its first noise test (wood 18 x 8 and APC 17 x 6) being just over the club limit.

Still not quite there with the C of G so a little more lead needed to be added + the flaps are binding a bit and needed the hinge line fixing.

Second go with noise testing today with Martin kindly bring a spare 18 x 10 prop and Inwoods posting a APC wide 18 x 8 prop that turned up the next day + me making an exhaust deflector.

Good news is it passed before the rain set in without the exhaust deflector or 18 x 10 prop needed.

Bad news when unpacking the model a club member noticed the flap push rod nuts were loose (in fact slid down to meet the other nut) and on closer inspection found I could just pull the nut down the thread !!

Its not very good and I'll either change the nuts/measure the threads or replace them with stainless studding.

Other than that its getting very close to maiden time!

20190224_145643.jpg

PS photo was last Sunday!

Edited By Chris Walby on 28/02/2019 17:29:17

Tim Flyer28/02/2019 19:34:19
1008 forum posts
169 photos

Good progress Chris! I hadn’t seen your updates . It’s a shame you have all that noise regulation to contend with too. The laser 180 is a very quiet engine in my view. Regarding weight, I used Lead struck on engine mount and just a little bit at the front of cowl stuck round the driveshaft cutout with gorilla glue. Gorilla glue works well sticking things in fibreglass cowls e.g baffles as it’s foam it also dampens noise. On my planes I tend to epoxy all the threads on clevises before flying. (Apart from rudder pull pull systems as wire can stretch) . Epoxy can be easily loosened with heat , but after getting all the servos and surfaces neutral I tend to glue the threads as just like you found the threads poor. i look forward to hear about a successful maiden flight. However be careful if you have grass as no point nosing over if it’s too soft on the runway . I’m probably waiting a couple of months to take my Hurricane up again

Edited By Tim Flyer on 28/02/2019 19:36:46

Chris Walby28/02/2019 21:19:56
952 forum posts
228 photos

Thanks for the comments Tim, I must admit I have used most of your and others suggestions for improvement and issues with the standard kit.

Quite surprising how quick it went together, the Mosquito seemed to take a lot longer , but then again the cowls were a far bigger pain to do due to their poor fit.

I have put the lead on top of engine mount as the cowl is not fixed by much and I have 900g up there, having said that I think its very close to 17.8 lbs.

Weather and especially wind can be a bit of an odd one as some of my models land quite fast so a bit of a wind (constant breeze) helps rather than if its dead calm.

I got bittern (my fault) by an electric Mosquito where I just did not appreciate it needed nearly 1/2 throttle to overcome the drag of the flap + U/C and tip stalled it. The Laser powered Mosquito flies quite slowly without flap, but talking to Jon I was using the wrong technique for a warbird so I need to practice the correct approach.

Our grass has already been cut and once it dries it can become quite low drag which means the roll out can be quite exciting as you approach the Armco/boundary !

The worst of the noise was from the front so I don't think it was the engine, but more the prop at WOT (probably the few times it will ever be in that position).

PS - I changed the nuts for some decent supplied by Model Fixings and they have nipped up a tread, once its bedded in I'll Loctite them in place.

Tim Flyer28/02/2019 21:57:48
1008 forum posts
169 photos

Good ideas ! I use and re use lots of model fixings hardware too. On some of these ARTFs I have also found myself annealing the push rods So I can then re cut the threads, as the nuts slip... The model fixings nuts and bolts are so much better. I definitely agree regarding wind. I avoid total calm with my Warbirds. I do find it helps to have wind on landings. My P47 is very happy in a 15mph wind. I also leave strong crosswinds out . For those days I’m happier flying sport planes. I flew my LA7 last weekend and it was great but really could have done with a bit more wind. I like to use flaps and throttle for landing but certainly am no ace !! Your Mosquito sounds great ! Jon is a great teacher on Warbird Flying technique. 😊

Tim Flyer05/03/2019 11:22:53
1008 forum posts
169 photos

Regarding wheel covers . I fitted them with home made aluminium brackets as per my photo album. The covers are slightly proud of the wing (a few mm)just at the rear due to u/c angle adjustment, but that makes minimal Flying difference. The massive radiator scoop adds loads more drag than those !

Chris Walby05/03/2019 12:52:13
952 forum posts
228 photos

Tim,

I'll do the same as you with the brackets and see what it looks like.

The original concern was that the wheel cover was raised on LE and TE (of the cover) and might flutter causing issues. Although that was before I fitted the engine and oil rad cooler cowls.

Did you remove the strip down the middle of the door cover?

Tim Flyer05/03/2019 13:28:20
1008 forum posts
169 photos

No I don’t think I needed to take that out as my HK electric retracts sit fairly deep in the wells . I cut the brackets with tin snips from thin aluminium sheet . They grip a lot better than the zip ties supplied and really stop the covers twisting. When I put them on I did use a zip tie just to hold them so I could put the small m2 retaining bolts in and accurately drill the hole in the covers .

neil martin 122/03/2019 13:44:03
26 forum posts
9 photos

Chris - has this hurricane maidened yet? How was it?

Im due to maiden mine soon and keen to know your opinion on CoG. As you said, there seems to be a difference of opinions, some other online groups swear by 120mm, some others say as per manual.

Chris Walby22/03/2019 14:14:48
952 forum posts
228 photos

No not yet, I was waiting for the better weather..oh its here!

Plus I had a kind offer of someone (with more experience than me) to do the maiden.

I'll chase him up.

PS the conscious is 130mm as pointed out further forwards means a faster landing and I would rather avoid that!

neil martin 122/03/2019 14:33:48
26 forum posts
9 photos

Yes I suppose its somewhere in the middle when considering the general consensus. I have a fairly heavy petrol engine in mine and have been aiming for 120mm, so I am probably already at 130mm now as I was intending to add some nose weight. Similar to yourself I am waiting for better weather and a mowed strip before taking the plunge! Good luck on the maiden, try to get someone to film it as there's barely any videos of this plane flying!

Jon - Laser Engines22/03/2019 23:17:17
4765 forum posts
179 photos

10mm on the c/g will make next to naff all difference. The fuel consumed during the flight will make more difference than that. Its all about the rates with this one.

neil martin 117/04/2019 08:32:19
26 forum posts
9 photos

Any update Chris, did she maiden? What was COG set at? Mine is all set to go...so maybe the weekend if weather remains good. CoG is set at 130mm and elevator rates reduced to 8mm. AUW is 18 1/2 lb

Chris Walby17/04/2019 10:22:30
952 forum posts
228 photos

Neil,

Update, due to poor weather, pilot availability and a couple other projects that have distracted me + I want more practice with a less costly model regarding full flap landing approach it has not been out of the hanger.

My COG is 130mm and AUG is around the 18 lbs (need to reweigh it as I can't find my previous note) so you are very close to mine and others.

Good luck with yours and double check your elevator is inline with the tail plane & Loctite all the U/C screws

Tim Flyer19/04/2019 20:20:58
1008 forum posts
169 photos

My Hurricane is sadly no more ! I took if for a fly today in perfect conditions. I had added some up elevator mix when the gear is down to prevent pitching down on landing. I also moved the elevator from third servo hole to second making it about 1cm from the servo centre. The plane felt good in the air on take off which went perfectly. I retracted the gear and started a circuit . I noticed the plane was pitching up after the gear was retracted and put in quite a bit of down trim . Anyway the circuit continued and all felt good and I did a nice barrel roll. I then came downwind and gently turned back into wind at about 3/4 throttle the turn response was a but slow so I added more rudder. Anyway the plane went into a gentle descent and I just didn’t have enough rudder to pull it up. It wasn’t stalling as it still had speed in the gentle turn . The plane slowly descended and hit the ground flat . It seems the new mix and reduced deflection and down trim caused me to run out of elevator. The plane broke in two in the centre and probably isn’t repairable unless I make a massive effort . Lucky the engine is fine

Tim Flyer19/04/2019 20:23:49
1008 forum posts
169 photos

This isn’t where it crashed it just shows it snapped in half . The main damage was all in the centre of fuselage . Tha impact was all under the plane as it hit the ground flat. c36f9d71-dcfd-49b0-b72d-2aefc6676d8f.jpeg

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/04/2019 20:26:24

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/04/2019 20:28:06

Paul Marsh19/04/2019 20:33:11
3665 forum posts
1038 photos

Such a shame - It could be repairable. Don't bin it yet, you never know. I've brought back models from the dead before.

With Warbirds, you have to fly them with care, remembering to keep the speed up or have plenty of height. I reckon you had too little power - you said it wasn't stalling, true, but the wing wasn't producing enough lift either.

On downwind legs, always add more power, to keep the wing in lift, due to the airspeed being lower.

GrahamWh19/04/2019 20:35:47
356 forum posts
53 photos

Unlucky Tim - that's a real shame.

I've found that if you put the parts away for a while after a crash then come back to them later it all seems much more mendable than it does on the day.

Jon - Laser Engines19/04/2019 21:11:33
4765 forum posts
179 photos

thats a pretty sad looking Hurricane. Ill give you a call tomorrow but in the meanwhile i agree with the other guys, dont bin it. From here the damage looks very repairable

Tim Flyer19/04/2019 21:29:55
1008 forum posts
169 photos

Cheers Chaps . 😊. Silly thing was that my rates switch after I looked at the transmitter was on middle setting. I thought I had it on full rates... never mind . I’m not going to bin it as there are also quite a few good spares .

ASH.19/04/2019 21:31:45
298 forum posts

Oh Tim, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It saddened me to read that. She was a beautiful model and I know you put a lot of time and effort into her.. Commiserations.

On the positve side - You have many other beautiful models to fly - you're a lucky guy! As has been suggested put her away - for a few days, then strip and then access the damage. I know your dab hand with the fibreglass and epoxy so you never know. See how you feel then.

Good flying weather the next couple of days.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us