Forum sponsored by CML

Wing servo connections

Advice or suggestions please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Baker 310/02/2019 00:14:32
24 forum posts
15 photos
I have a 2 m glider with centre section and 2 wing tips which have the ailerons and are unplugged for transport. I want to wire the servos to plugs and sockets that mate when the wing tips are plugged in. I am considering 6 pin multiplex plugs but not sure if my wing tip root ribs are thick enough to contain them. Any other suggestions for suitable plugs and sockets?
Ikura10/02/2019 06:40:52
272 forum posts

Hi Philip,

If the mating ribs are ply you can do it by route out a recess and then epoxy them in but it is a bit of a fraught affair to make sure the epoxy doesnt seep into the connector and glue them together. If the mating ribs are balsa they will probably break over time due to the force required to plug in and unplug the Mpx connectors.

I used plenty of Vaseline on the front faces and it worked ok but to be honest I can't say it was worth all the messing about.

I opted to just have a flying servo lead on my next three part glider wing and it has worked fine. Yes it takes a bit of fiddling to assemble it but it's only a few seconds and at least it does the job.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Philip Baker 310/02/2019 15:00:42
24 forum posts
15 photos
Thank you for your experience Ikura, I have decided to follow your advice and stick with normal plugs. I have found a cf tube that exactly allows the female socket to slide inside when the wings join.
Ikura10/02/2019 15:14:37
272 forum posts

That sounds like a plan.

All the best.

Dodger10/02/2019 15:40:19
3 forum posts

Mick Reeves Models sell a servo plug holder kit that I have used on occasion that holds the female half of the plug. It's illustrated about half way down this page they may be of interest to you.

Tom Satinet11/02/2019 10:21:10
516 forum posts

4 pin deans connector

Alan Gorham_11/02/2019 10:50:22
657 forum posts
88 photos

If your wing roots are too thin to hold a "pluggable" connector then you could consider Ashlok or Maxlok type connectors available in 1, 2 3 or 4 way versions here:

**LINK**

or here:

**LINK**

Philip Baker 312/02/2019 16:46:48
24 forum posts
15 photos
Hmm interesting ideas thanks. I'll keep these in mind for the next project. I can't find 4 pin deans in this country. Any ideas for a supplier?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Overlander
Slec
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us