Keil Kraft Outlaw

Looking for plan kit or info

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PatMc26/05/2019 22:28:32
4124 forum posts
518 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/05/2019 20:44:58:

Mention was made of Outlaw picture one wing tip being warped or less dihedral.

It was the done thing in those days of FF models to have less dihedral on one tip, then the plane naturally flew in a circle due to slightly less lift on the higher cranked wing tip.

Never heard of anyone using less dihedral on one wingtip. However it was common to tilt the tailplane off horizontal or slight warp of one wing tip in order to induce a safe circular flight pattern.

Tom Sharp 226/05/2019 22:34:56
3348 forum posts
17 photos

It was a black art in those days, no instant, guaranteed to fly, models available.

Thank the Lord for modern times.

PatMc26/05/2019 22:54:45
4124 forum posts
518 photos

It certainly wasn't a "black art" to anyone who understood what they were doing',the purpose behind the action & took the time to trim models properly. Those who didn't had problems with poor performing models. Which is exactly the same today with a lot of RC flyers.

brokenenglish27/05/2019 06:17:00
409 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by PatMc on 26/05/2019 22:28:32:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/05/2019 20:44:58:

Mention was made of Outlaw picture one wing tip being warped or less dihedral.

It was the done thing in those days of FF models to have less dihedral on one tip, then the plane naturally flew in a circle due to slightly less lift on the higher cranked wing tip.

Never heard of anyone using less dihedral on one wingtip. However it was common to tilt the tailplane off horizontal or slight warp of one wing tip in order to induce a safe circular flight pattern.

Pat, I think he means wash-out... or the wash-in used on the RH inner panel for the flight pattern. Either way, it's true that slight wing warps were and still are used for FF trimming but, apart from slight wash-out on both tips, they are totally unrelated to RC flying, unless you want a plane that only flies in circles and in one direction only.

Edited By brokenenglish on 27/05/2019 06:26:15

Tom Sharp 227/05/2019 17:18:37
3348 forum posts
17 photos

Broken English

I did not mean wash out, or warping, I meant a variance in the angle of the two wing tip panels.

brokenenglish27/05/2019 20:04:50
409 forum posts
28 photos

Tom, I flew FF competitions for 20 years, a long time ago. One of my designs won at the Nationals (for someone else!), and I've never heard of different polyhedral angles between the two wings. If anyone can quote one example of a successful FF flier doing that, I'd be extremely surprised.

To suggest that it may be a good idea on a KK Outlaw is (pardon me) ridiculous.

Apologies Tom, but I think there's a mix-up somewhere...

Tom Sharp 227/05/2019 22:22:16
3348 forum posts
17 photos

Well it worked for me 70 odd years ago. Perhaps you could give it a try sometime.

Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us