By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Mercury Tiger Moth 33

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lowandslow24/02/2019 18:10:01
15 forum posts

Hi I have recently purchased a vintage Tiger Moth kit from eBay and would like to convert it to electric power and 3 channel radio. I am recently retired and am looking forward to the build no matter how long it takes. The last time I dabbled was in the 60s with a Matador with a Frog 1.5cc diesel and rudder only control with a single channel McGregor tx/rx and rubber band actuator. I still have these apart from the deceased Matador. I have been trying to catch up a bit on line to see what I should be installing in terms of type and weight of servos, batteries and engine so I am now sending out a plea for any guidance the forum members could give to me. Many thanks.

Denis Watkins24/02/2019 19:03:53
3808 forum posts
52 photos

Hiya Philip, nice project

From a twitchy 3 foot span point of view, are you 3 channel to save weight?

As these days, ailerons for a 4th channel, could be added for less than 10grm

And if you used a Rx block, contains receiver and servos, you can save even more weight

But

If 3 channel is to maintain the vintage flavour, then forgive me.

As a flyer, ailerons would be an essential addition for myself

Lowandslow24/02/2019 19:26:42
15 forum posts

Thanks for the reply Denis. Currently I’m just wanting to get airborne again with a few circuits low and slow so weight is a big thing for me. From what I have gleaned from this forum is that the Moths wing may part company if I add ailerons without some drastic design changes. I’d like to keep it simple at the moment but maybe consider ailerons for the next project. Just an aside my nearest Model Shop was Gee Dee in Nottingham but they have now closed so no advice from them you see. I’d have to travel to Leeds for that now I think so buying online seems the way forward.

Denis Watkins24/02/2019 21:17:20
3808 forum posts
52 photos

Philip

Leeds Model Shop is very prolific Online, and easy to use with quick delivery

Ray Wood 424/02/2019 21:42:34
66 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Philip,

You will need to learn to fly something more robust, before you contemplate such a small and fragile model I think 😯

Regards Ray

Lowandslow24/02/2019 21:56:10
15 forum posts

Ray,

thanks for the tip but the original model was designed for free flight and all I’m aspiring to do is recreate this with some kind of minimal r/c guidance using lightweight gear.

Best regards Phil

Lowandslow11/03/2019 20:23:17
15 forum posts

Hello again,

Having now recovered from the mild depression caused by Rays posting I can now report that the balsa bashing is well under way. Having recently seen the postings regarding Solarfim, ie buy some quick, just wondering if I should jump in and get some. Can any of you experienced builders recommend what I should be covering this little Moth with for the best results? Somebody out there must have successfully finished one with electric/3channel conversion.

Peter Miller11/03/2019 21:09:54
10070 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Ah! A lovely little model. Flew a couple of them over the years.

One of those memories that stick in the mind for ever.

New Years Day in the 70s, flat calm, sunny and cold. Flew on the water meadows with some friends..

My little Tiger Moth with a Mills .75. floating round and on the glide came in across the meadow virtually beside us and you could here the longer stands of grass going "tick, tick, tick" as they hit the leading edge on the glide.

PURE MAGIC!!!

Ray Wood 411/03/2019 21:17:56
66 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Phillip,

Sorry if my last post sent you into depression, advice given in good faith I did build one of these 50 years ago and it was tissue covered, I imagine as Peter's was ? I don't think the structure will take heat shrink plastic film, Litespan would do the job better if it's still available ?

Regards Ray

Lowandslow11/03/2019 21:33:56
15 forum posts

Thanks for the encouragement and tips gents greatly appreciated. I’ll follow up on the Litespan Ray many thanks. Only joking about the depression. wink

Cliff 195912/03/2019 20:48:07
242 forum posts
54 photos

I've got the same kit to build so I'll be watching this thread with great interest, if you can post pictures as well that would be great, keep the build going smiley

Cliff 195912/03/2019 20:48:08
242 forum posts
54 photos

I've got the same kit to build so I'll be watching this thread with great interest, if you can post pictures as well that would be great, keep the build going smiley

Cliff 195912/03/2019 20:48:44
242 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Cliff 1959 on 12/03/2019 20:48:08:

Lowandslow12/03/2019 21:26:04
15 forum posts

I’m very pleased there is somebody else out there Cliff with an interest in this little Mercury Moth we will be able to compare notes along the way. I’ll post some photos when I get my head around it. Are you going install 3 channel as well.

Cliff 195912/03/2019 22:12:43
242 forum posts
54 photos

Absolutely, I've got the little Bangood Tiger Moth, three channel, and she's a little beauty although half the size! As for building it I've not got much time at the moment, perhaps you'll inspire me to try and make time.

Cliff 195912/03/2019 22:42:18
242 forum posts
54 photos

Here's the little Moth, advance to 1:55 to see her in action.

David Davis13/03/2019 08:15:18
3375 forum posts
592 photos

Lowandslow, a bit of unsolicited advice from me.

I understand the attraction of the Tiger Moth but I fear that as an inexperienced r/c pilot you may crash it on the first flight and that might make you "depressed!" I think that you should learn to fly first on something more robust. To this end I would recommend the following steps.

1. Join a club. Most clubs have qualified instructors and club trainers and you can find out which clubs are near you by visiting this site: **LINK** You'll also be insured once you've joined the club.
  2. These days there are Almost Ready to Fly trainers which you can assemble in a week. You could learn to fly on one of these wiithout the emotional involvement which is integral to building your own model.
  3. If you feel that you want to build a trainer try something from the Ben Buckle range. **LINK** I learned to fly on a Junior 60 but the Super 60 is a better r/c trainer.

In other words, you could learn to fly while building the Tiger Moth.

Just my two pennoth. I am not a great r/c pilot myself but I am a qualified club-level instructor in two countries and I've been flying radio controlled models since 1988 but it would take all of my limited skill to land such a fragile three channel biplane as the one you're considering. Those lower wings on bi-planes are quite close to the ground you know!

The models being flown in the video are being flown by experienced pilots.

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2019 08:16:00

J D 813/03/2019 08:54:18
1228 forum posts
74 photos

With this sort of model if possible fly over long grass. It's ability absorb the arrival of a small model with little or no damage is well known.

In days gone bye model build articals often finished with the statment "test fly over long grass".

Lowandslow13/03/2019 09:01:13
15 forum posts

David thanks you have confirmed my own train of thought really. I have contacted a local club two weeks ago which is only 6 miles away which is great. I have arranged to meet a really helpful guy there next time the weather is good and they are flying. They have Super 60s and Junior 60s there as well along with instructors of course. In the meantime I’ll continue enjoying building the Moth probably to 85% complete and hang it on the ceiling until I’m proficient enough to fly it with reasonable safety. I’m probably going to get a trainer aircraft first now though.

Lowandslow13/03/2019 09:18:53
15 forum posts

I like the long grass idea but the club is in the Peak District along with 147,000 miles of dry stone wall. Those sheep keep eating the grass as well!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us