Forum sponsored by CML

Identification required

40 sized engine ( no photo)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Evans 301/03/2019 10:10:09
371 forum posts
81 photos

A friend of mine is trying to identify an engine he recently acquired .Unfortunately I have no photograph .It has a gold/bronze anodised cylinder head and prop driver .There is a silencer that is fixed to the main casting with two hex headed bolts from the silencer side . And as well as an exhaust nipple for pressurising the tank there is a screwed in bronze /gold button with a hole in it .Any thoughts ?

David Davis01/03/2019 11:30:22
3377 forum posts
592 photos

There was a Chinese company called MUTUNUC if I remember correctly, which built a 10cc two stroke answering to that description in the Nineties.

Percy Verance01/03/2019 13:52:30
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi David

I think Mutunic were one of the many (at the time) engine manufacturers whom would knock out thousands of engines to any particular shape/design/colour if you paid their price. I never actually saw one myself, but I'm given to understand they were crap of questionable quality........ if it is a Mutunic it should say so on the side of the cylinder.

The timing could be more mid eighties David....... I think Sussex Model Centre sold them at one time, but it's a long time ago and we won't hold it against them.

There was also PROFI the (then) West German engine maker. Their engines had a somewhat unconventional appearance with a gold coloured cylinder head and prop driver. These were quite high performance engines, comparable to,say, HP or Webra. I owned a .40 for a while.

Any chance of a photo of the engine Keith?

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/03/2019 14:08:45

gangster01/03/2019 14:17:39
941 forum posts
16 photos

There was also an OS with a gold head in the 70s. Not sure about the prop driver though

Percy Verance01/03/2019 14:28:59
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Unlikely to be an OS gangster. Even back in the 70's OS engines had the familiar OS logo on them, plus the word Japan in a fairly obvious place. Some early OS's did have the silencer bolts going in from the silencer side though.

extra slim01/03/2019 15:02:46
443 forum posts
48 photos

I've also seen some MDS with gold heads and drivers.. no other markings on it.. probably trying to put lipstick on their pig!!

Nigel Dell01/03/2019 15:07:04
367 forum posts
27 photos

Sounds very much like a MDS in fact I am sure it is.

Alan Gorham_01/03/2019 15:08:14
924 forum posts
98 photos

Yes it's a very early MDS. The identifier for me is the way the silencer attaches.

Keith Evans 303/03/2019 10:36:59
371 forum posts
81 photos

Hi thank you all for your inputs. Checked it out on the web and it is a MDS/MAC 61 .I still have no idea however what the additional bronze bush in the silencer is for .!

Keith

Percy Verance03/03/2019 10:47:29
8109 forum posts
155 photos

It almost certainly will not be an MAC Keith. The MAC engines a.k.a Master engines, although still of Russian manufacture, were of much higher quality than the "cooking" MDS engines. The two makes were in no way related. When Russian modellers took part in International competitions, the engines they used were specifically manufactured for them, and were of the highest possible - for Russia - quality.

The MAC engines were a sort of mass production version of these higher quality engines. Needless to say, although they were offered to most markets - including the UK - the inbuilt distrust of Russian made goods meant they didn't sell inlarge numbers.

There is a video on YouTube of an MAC engine in an aerobatic model, complete with tuned pipe. Do a search for MAC model engine.

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/03/2019 10:50:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us