Forum sponsored by CML

Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance

Mass Build 2019 - Low pass Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Low pass Pete02/03/2019 07:21:17
217 forum posts
122 photos

Just a placeholder for now. Who else is joining the build this year?

Low pass Pete02/03/2019 10:19:41
217 forum posts
122 photos

Just a few photos to show where I am on this journey. I have bought the pre-cut parts etc. from Sarik models by the way. Not finally sure if I will invert the engine yet or stay with 90 deg as per plan.

Photo 1 Shows General view of fuz formers.

Photo 2 Shows some of the ribs. Cut from lite ply.

Photo 3 Shows the engine that will power her. It is an OS62V (same type as in my Skywriter). Looking as if to keep prop driver as per plan then F1 will need to be repositioned about 1/4 to 1/2 in rearwards.  The 62 is a tad longer that a 52 surpass which was what I understand Lindsey Todd used on the prototype

img_6360.jpg

img_6361.jpg

img_6362.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 02/03/2019 10:22:10

Low pass Pete02/03/2019 11:41:54
217 forum posts
122 photos

Here is the fuz side layout. sarik have a novel answer to depth of fuz. In 3 parts plus a 3mm doubler. Looks neat but confused initially with shapes.

img_6364.jpg

Low pass Pete02/03/2019 11:46:27
217 forum posts
122 photos

Quick dry fit to work out Engine and fuel tank layout.

Inverted engine layout seem favourite for me with a SLEC yellow tank which should give a long duration in the air. F2 moves back about 1/2 in and will need a very small infill at base to maintain driver position and cowl shape to plan.

Probably will not have a top hatch which will make front Fuz stronger.

img_6367.jpg

Low pass Pete02/03/2019 11:46:28
217 forum posts
122 photos

I probably will not have a top hatch over tank as access is fine from inside Fuz.  Again will made front fuz stronger.

img_6365.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 02/03/2019 11:49:50

Edited By Low pass Pete on 02/03/2019 11:52:07

Percy Verance02/03/2019 13:11:31
8108 forum posts
155 photos

The curvy bits on the added on parts of the fuselage increase the glueing area though Pete, so the bond will be stronger. Mmm, not sure about the Slec tank though. I much prefer Dubro or Sullivan tanks. The Sullivan tanks have a moulded in tag on the rear with a hole in so you can hook a bit of wire on and pull them out more easily should the need arise...and the Dubro tanks have the lower part of the tank projecting forward past the filler neck, which virtually eliminates the chance of trapping the tank tubing as it passes through the engine bulkhead. The Slec tanks have a similar design, but use those awful plastic outlets which can get oily, at which point the pipes slip off.........

I'm pleased to see the quality of the lazer cutting looks good. I ordered a set of parts for the Ohmen a couple of weeks back, but they have still to arrive. I did read that Sarik have quite a number of back orders for parts sets though, so it may be a while yet. It's good to see/hear building is gaining popularity once more......

P.S. Adding a floor to the tank bay will make tank extraction easier too. A bit of 1/8 sheet balsa or liteply with holes in it for lightness might do it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 13:29:38

Low pass Pete02/03/2019 14:55:04
217 forum posts
122 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 13:11:31:

The curvy bits on the added on parts of the fuselage increase the glueing area though Pete, so the bond will be stronger. Mmm, not sure about the Slec tank though. I much prefer Dubro or Sullivan tanks. The Sullivan tanks have a moulded in tag on the rear with a hole in so you can hook a bit of wire on and pull them out more easily should the need arise...and the Dubro tanks have the lower part of the tank projecting forward past the filler neck, which virtually eliminates the chance of trapping the tank tubing as it passes through the engine bulkhead. The Slec tanks have a similar design, but use those awful plastic outlets which can get oily, at which point the pipes slip off.........

I'm pleased to see the quality of the lazer cutting looks good. I ordered a set of parts for the Ohmen a couple of weeks back, but they have still to arrive. I did read that Sarik have quite a number of back orders for parts sets though, so it may be a while yet. It's good to see/hear building is gaining popularity once more......

P.S. Adding a floor to the tank bay will make tank extraction easier too. A bit of 1/8 sheet balsa or liteply with holes in it for lightness might do it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 13:29:38

Agree on the idea of a Dubro Tank Percy. I have just used one in my 80 in Seagull Chipmunk. One good thing with a Dubro tank is that you can add a second Clunk pick-up for refuel/defuel which is very useful.

The Sarik parts are pretty nice as well as you have commented. There is a tank floor included in the precut parts as well. My set of parts did take a while from Sarik and when I asked them they seemed to be very busy. Good to hear as we need the plans service to survive and not to be lost.

Cheers

Peter

Percy Verance02/03/2019 15:13:42
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I like Dubro tanks and use them a lot Pete. The Slec tanks are fine in theory, but I just don't like those plastic outlets or that threaded nipple into the very same plastic. It didn't fill me with confidence the first time I assembled one, and once it began to give me trouble - it leaked - I binned it.....

And yes a second clunk is a good idea, although you have to be wary of flooding the carb when filling. Good when it comes to emptying though.......

Your model looks to have a fairly wide fuselage, and would probably have hidden most of the engine if you went side mounted I'd have thought? Will undobtedly have a more streamlined look with inverted installation though.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 15:22:51

Low pass Pete04/03/2019 07:32:44
217 forum posts
122 photos

Fuz sides under way.

img_6369.jpg

Low pass Pete04/03/2019 07:33:31
217 forum posts
122 photos

But no idea where this bit is intended to fit.

img_6368.jpg

Ramblin gruntfuttock04/03/2019 13:44:06
29 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Pete. As I've said previously I'm a total novice. My kit should be at home when I get back Wednesday so can make a start. I will start on the fuselage so your photos and those of the others will be real help. Please forgive the daft questions that will no doubt be fired off in the coming months

Cheers

Jim

Nigel R04/03/2019 14:01:18
3156 forum posts
479 photos

Horizontal bits to help form the tail end of the fuselage? They might also make a tailplane seat?

Build looks good. Parts look nicely cut from what I can see.

I find a bit of string tied around the tank facilitates easy removal back through the former at wing front.

Percy Verance04/03/2019 14:05:32
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Jim

Be aware that a lazer cut parts set isn't a full kit. It's basically the main parts and the fiddly bits cut out. You'll need some stripwood for wing spars and fuselage longerons etc....

Pete

It's a guess without looking at the plan, but it looks like it fits right at the rear of the fuselage on the underside where a tailwheel might be fitted. The other similar but shorter bit goes in a similar position, but on the top of the fuselage where the tailplane glues on...... If the bits are grouped with other fuselage pieces on the plan Pete, then chances are they'll be for the fuselage too.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/03/2019 14:11:29

Ramblin gruntfuttock04/03/2019 14:11:01
29 forum posts
16 photos

I've bought the laser cut and the wood pack. I know there will be other things to sort but I'm thinking I will be able to get those as I watch every one else build. My intention is electric so will need all of the paraphernalia that will go with that but as I say I hope it will be watch and learn

Thanks

Jim

Nigel R04/03/2019 14:12:04
3156 forum posts
479 photos

"but I just don't like those plastic outlets or that threaded nipple into the very same plastic"

New tube, IPA to wipe clean the plastic outlets, dash of silicon sealant to stick the tubes on. They can be wired on as well if more security is desired.

Threaded nipple, light touch required.

Holes in the firewall, make a loose fit with the tubes, then a bit more sealant when the tank is finally installed.

I have heard they can crack around the join, but I've not experienced that problem.

They make good use of the available space, and they've always been reliable for me.

As always, YMMV.

Percy Verance04/03/2019 14:14:22
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Ah right JIm, you got the wood as well. You ought to have more than enough to get it built then.

Any questions, just ask away.......

Nigel

I'd rather not fiddle and fettle, preferring instead to use a better tank (Dubro) to begin with! Fit it, connect it up, forget it yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/03/2019 14:20:11

Low pass Pete04/03/2019 19:25:10
217 forum posts
122 photos

Progress so far.

Basic side fuz underway. I have decided to revert to engine as per plan i.e. 90 deg. F1 is moving about 1cm rearwards. Therefore the tank floor has bee trimmed to suit. The servo floor will be trimmed to allow fuel tank to be fitted/removed to the rear and not via top hatch. which will be made permenant fit and non removable.  I feel that will add strength to the fuz and with a 4 stroke that is no bad thing.

Trial run to see how this works shown below.

img_6371.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:27:16

Low pass Pete14/03/2019 17:18:21
217 forum posts
122 photos

Progress is going well on the Fus. No real issues noted so far. Instrument panel has been mounted. I have used some dials that came yonks ago free on a copy of RCM&E. I'm running out so come on mag how about some more please. As you can see I have gone for 90deg engine mount as per plan.

img_6376.jpg

img_6377.jpg

Low pass Pete14/03/2019 17:21:31
217 forum posts
122 photos

A couple of shots to give an idea of the engine layout. Work in progress. The throttle linkage posed a couple of head scratching moments but all should be well. The Silencer area needs more work however.

img_6378.jpg

img_6379.jpg

Ramblin gruntfuttock14/03/2019 17:25:08
29 forum posts
16 photos

Looking good Pete. Thanks to you and Tony for putting out the photos of the instrument panel. There is no way i would have thought to prepare it this early. Just finished painting and gluing mine on the dining room table before swmbo came home from work and caught me.😇

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us