Forum sponsored by CML

Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance

2019 Mass Build - Renaissance

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Walby24/03/2019 21:14:21
952 forum posts
228 photos

Update time, not a lot of visible progress as I am working at the back end and things I have missed!

Following the wing measuring I was measuring and measuring, but not doing anything productive as I was not sure the dotted line is the horizontal stabiliser centre or not.

20190324_155455.jpg Well lets hope it is as I eventually go the glue out and got stuck in, frown

20190324_161523.jpg

Daft question, do I have to use my own wing and fuselage sheeting balsa or am I missing some from the wood pack?

Edited By Chris Walby on 24/03/2019 21:23:02

Low pass Pete25/03/2019 06:53:55
214 forum posts
121 photos

I have taken the dotted line as centre point Chris

Chris Walby25/03/2019 07:47:19
952 forum posts
228 photos

Cheers Pete, was the wing and fuselage sheeting in the wood pack or do I need to acquire from else where?

I just though when they say wood pack it means all the wood you need?

tony oneill 125/03/2019 09:09:32
69 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Chris, i went with that as the center line as well but the build article and the pictures seem different. So i glued in a little packing piece to increase the width a little to ensure clearance for the movement of the rudder and elevators. the wood pack i received does not have any 1.5mm in it either. i ordered it from ebay should arrive today i hope. I thought the same that the wood pack would have everything needed in it. I also seem to have loads of 6 x 6 mm stringers left.

Regards

Tony.

Ramblin gruntfuttock25/03/2019 12:05:52
29 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Chris. I have 2 sheets of 3mm in my pack which I'm assuming is for the fuselage. There is no 1.5mm. I am buying some 2mm to replace the 3mm as comments already expressed are that the 3mm is a little thick and that 2mm would have been better. I could feather it but as a total beginner my thoughts are to keep it as simple as i can . I will get the 1.5mm at the samee time

Cheers

Jim

Chris Walby25/03/2019 12:38:37
952 forum posts
228 photos

Hi RG, I am with you and will get some 1.5 mm and 2 mm for the respective areas.

I spotted the snakes go through the rear fuselage sheets so I'll have to move them about to get them into the right place before anymore sheeting.

I have reread the article and its a bit confusing so I am going with pinning the wings down the right way up with wingtip blocks + the washout ones and sheet the top surface.

Not sure if or how much I need to sheet the underside as I can't find a photo for that.

Low pass Pete26/03/2019 18:50:32
214 forum posts
121 photos

Chris if you look at the plan area that shows a cross section of the wing it shows 1.5mm sheeting all round the wing but also note that the upperview of the wing shows a fairly typical sheeted front and rear area and therefore the ribs would have cap strips about 1/4 in or so. The sheeted areas (inboard and outboard)have circular finish. Also you need webs between each rib from top spar to lower spars.

I also have had no 1.5mm in my wood pack and will have to purchase that. I am not impressed with the wood pack as it is no where near complete and requires much stripping for 1/4 X 1/2 for the rear tails etc.

The pre-cut parts have been generally ok ish but the cores for the elevators were too wide by 1/2 in and I have simply trimmed these to suit the plan.

Ramblin gruntfuttock26/03/2019 20:01:13
29 forum posts
16 photos

I am still waiting for some wood that is out of stock. I believe it is the leading edge but not sure if this is all.

Chris Walby26/03/2019 20:08:01
952 forum posts
228 photos

Doh, Just realised that I have mounted the elevator and rudder servos upside down + aligned the snakes to suit. Well the Gruffalo is just going to have to sit on the servo arms and lump it! Only ting I noticed is the 3mm lite ply the servos sit in is very flexible + not much "meat" on the front edge so beefing up will be needed.

I'll put a false floor/seat for him + it will allow me to adjust the servo arms/clevis with the wing in place!

I am working out what needs to be sanded in preparation for sheeting the fuselage and wing

Pete, thanks for the info

Chris Walby26/03/2019 20:08:02
952 forum posts
228 photos

Doh, Just realised that I have mounted the elevator and rudder servos upside down + aligned the snakes to suit. Well the Gruffalo is just going to have to sit on the servo arms and lump it! Only ting I noticed is the 3mm lite ply the servos sit in is very flexible + not much "meat" on the front edge so beefing up will be needed.

I'll put a false floor/seat for him + it will allow me to adjust the servo arms/clevis with the wing in place!

I am working out what needs to be sanded in preparation for sheeting the fuselage and wing

Pete, thanks for the info

Low pass Pete27/03/2019 06:22:12
214 forum posts
121 photos

Chris please see my reply on the general build ref some of your issues.

Peter

Martin Harris27/03/2019 16:52:16
8728 forum posts
214 photos

Just an observation but do the tail components come pre-cut?

I would always prefer to make the parts that go across the middle (and I'd agree that's the centre line on the plan going by the long-short-long-short dash format) from single pieces and I'd suggest that might have been the designer's intention? There is no edge shown on the plan for the component marked "6mm medium balsa" along that centre line.

Although modern glues are pretty strong, it's normally good practice to make scarf joints if load bearing components need to be joined to avoid weakening the components with stress raisers...witness reported tailplane failures on ARTFs where people have scored the wood when cutting through covering along the fuselage line for glueing.

Edit: Maybe the trailing edge is one piece?  I can't see from the photo but if it is it will certainly improve the situation.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/03/2019 17:02:11

Chris Walby01/05/2019 21:02:03
952 forum posts
228 photos

After distracting myself I am now back on the building board, well the Renaissance is and I am making a bit of progress.

Horizontal stab remade and upper wings sheeted. All blocked up and the dihedral/washout have stayed put so a result...I might be able to mess that up when I cover them.

20190428_181655.jpg Before anyone says anything the hoz/vert stab are not fixed..yet I'll follow others an cover it first, then fix in place.

Might even be a good idea to cover the fuselage as well then fix them as trying to get an iron around curves will be hell (for me!)

I am struggling to see the point of cutting holes in the wings across only some of the ribs...yes do all to save weight, but like 5 bays around the C of G won't change anything will it?

Still loads to do like sheeting the underside of the wing and sorting the nose/cowl out, but its coming along.

I think I am going for the "Acrowot" U/C fixing type where I use a spacer and Nylon screws should it get lumped down (not me honest, but I don't have a trainer anymore!).

Better book the fly-in tickets wink

tony oneill 102/05/2019 08:40:35
69 forum posts
49 photos

coming along nicely. i am doing the same with the under carriage but i forgot to fit the captive nuts! so will have to look at retro fit somehow.

Matt Storey 102/05/2019 12:11:33
25 forum posts
23 photos

Looking good, Chris.

What motor/battery setup have you gone for?

Nigel R02/05/2019 13:38:52
2968 forum posts
471 photos

She's looking good Chris

"I am struggling to see the point of cutting holes in the wings across only some of the ribs...yes do all to save weight, but like 5 bays around the C of G won't change anything will it?"

Ribs are usually a small percentage (about 10%) of overall wing weight, the star player is the sheeting with the co-star role going to any solid lumps like strip ailerons, spars and LE/TE. Cutting a couple of holes in the ribs makes very little difference to anything. Choosing good sheet is the first thing to attend to!

In a similar vein, spar webs weigh next to nothing, but stiffen up a wing structure immeasurably.

Chris Walby02/05/2019 14:03:03
952 forum posts
228 photos

Nigel,

I am using my kit from my BH Speed Air Overlander 900KV 710W 3548/05 3 to 6S 11 x 8 prop 80A ESC, but might prop down as the BH SA was larger.

I have some 4S5000 I could use, but if they don't physically fit some 4S3300 instead.

Hope that helps

Chris Walby04/05/2019 22:18:23
952 forum posts
228 photos

Wing now fully sheeted and about to be covered!

Advice please as to how to deal with the wing tips!

I have seen the Solarfilm video on covering, but I can't get my head around the TE bit.

20190504_192028.jpg

Should I cover as is or put a little tapered rib so I can wrap the covering in towards the inside edge (bottom right photo corner?

Working on the U/C next and the fuselage unless I have a mad moment, tidy up, Hoover around and get the covering out!

Martin Harris04/05/2019 22:50:42
8728 forum posts
214 photos

Not being familiar with the model, the picture doesn't make much sense to me - any chance of a photo from a different angle?

Nigel R05/05/2019 04:46:36
2968 forum posts
471 photos

Need to provide some shape and structure to get the covering on to. So yes to the tapered rib at TE.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us