Forum sponsored by CML

Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg

when adds were interesting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jeff2wings06/03/2019 20:22:31
778 forum posts
1826 photos

So just another 'all our yesterdays' thread for GOG's on here devil ! Think the world was better in black&white laugh

001 (8).jpg

001 (7).jpg

one of those 'if only' (I had the money) models

001 (15).jpg

any one remember this firm?

Feel free to dive in with your own 'back in the day '

Bob Cotsford06/03/2019 20:29:03
7871 forum posts
433 photos

I remember all three of those ads. Who wouldn't want a handily sized P6-E or the exotic MB5? The CAP kits were hard work though.

Colin Leighfield06/03/2019 20:33:55
5886 forum posts
2457 photos

Great memories. Most of them just as viable flyers now as they were then. Commercial reality probably limits market potential but hopefully we will see something come out of all this interest.

Cuban806/03/2019 20:48:50
2561 forum posts
12 photos

Not forgetting Bowman Models, just up the A12 from me in Ipswich. And keeping the East Anglia connection, Galaxy models Ipswich and Norwich.

Percy Verance06/03/2019 20:55:32
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Bob the CAP kits were a nightmare to put together. The die cutting was worse than abysmal. I got the Gladiator half built and gave up through sheer frustration.

Paul Marsh06/03/2019 20:58:44
3645 forum posts
1017 photos

img024.jpgHave loads of old Radio Modeler and RCM&E, have kept them all since the early 90's Have some RCMF later on.

Two here: PJ Models is where we used to live when my dad was stationed at RAF Benson. I bought a J3 Cub a few years ago from him, he still lived on the same road and remembered my dad!

img025.jpg

Alan Gorham_06/03/2019 20:59:31
864 forum posts
95 photos

I had several Bowmans models kits: Mini Skyman, Spatman and Simpleton. Good, honest simple models that were tough and I did lots of flying with them all!

I believe I'm right in saying that Chris Golds designed the Flywel Models kits.

And I'm just building a Howard Metcalfe models Focke Wulf Ta-152H.

Nostalgia...ahh. It's the future.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 06/03/2019 21:00:49

Robert Parker06/03/2019 21:13:47
885 forum posts
1135 photos

epson074.jpg

I started working in September 1978, the cost of the Avro 504 was a week and a halves wages before tax was deducted.

I got this last year

avro 504 a.jpg

May start building it later this year.

epson076.jpg

I would love to find a copy of this concord, used to see it in the plans guide years ago, gone now.

I once built the Howard Metcalfe Crossfire fibre glass fuselage, never got past the maiden aileron flutter rolled over and in like a rocket. The joys.

Regards

Robert

Frank Skilbeck06/03/2019 21:15:14
4418 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 06/03/2019 20:55:32:

Bob the CAP kits were a nightmare to put together. The die cutting was worse than abysmal. I got the Gladiator half built and gave up through sheer frustration.

I finally finished a CAP Jungmeister last year after starting it over 25 years ago! glad I did it's a cracking flier.

jeff2wings06/03/2019 22:08:06
778 forum posts
1826 photos

That's a coincidence Robert,I have a Veron 504 under my bench ! and I have just purchased that issue of rcm&e off e-bay !! And I have the plans and cowl for the CAP jungmeister

Any one ever build one of these ?

001 (5).jpg

got a feeling I know of one person wink Mr D.D.

Percy Verance07/03/2019 05:51:08
8109 forum posts
155 photos

I built the Telemaster 1800 from that very kit back in the early 80's Jeff. A superbly relaxing flyer, I had it for years before I sold it on. I did build another from the plan at a later date, but went and sold that before I even flew it!

I bought a new copy of the plan for the built up wing version from DD a couple of years back. While I was at it I also got the 8 footer plan too! Lord knows if I'll actually build that, but someone else had one back in the days I flew my 6ft version and it wasn't half nice......

There are a number of plans out there for the Telemaster, including one on Outerzone, which I think is the original by the German designer..... DD used to import kits from the US, but due to some technical difficulty he gave up I think.

SIMON CRAGG07/03/2019 07:06:20
373 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by jeff2wings on 06/03/2019 22:08:06:

That's a coincidence Robert,I have a Veron 504 under my bench ! and I have just purchased that issue of rcm&e off e-bay !! And I have the plans and cowl for the CAP jungmeister

Any one ever build one of these ?

001 (5).jpg

got a feeling I know of one person wink Mr D.D.

Oddly enough, I have just resurected a big Telemaster that was "found" in somebodies attic. Makes a good camera platform. Dave Smith Models, Galaxy, Balsacraft, Pilot Models, Cambrian Models, Veron, the list goes on!.

Edited By SIMON CRAGG on 07/03/2019 07:08:38

David Davis07/03/2019 07:16:38
3346 forum posts
577 photos

Yes I used to have a little hobby business called Telemaster Sales UK, I imported kits from the USA. Initially I made a modest profit on every sale because I paid wholesale rates for the kits plus shipping from America. The six and eight-foot models were the most popular but I did sell a few twelve-foot Giant Telemasters too. Then the management of my supplier changed and they wanted ridiculous amounts of money to cover the shipping costs. They also objected to my having the name "Telemaster" in my business title.Simultaneously they changed the method of construction from the traditional kit to a slot-together arrangement and at a much higher price. So much for the much vaunted American business acumen. Their loss. I had sold over fifty kits to enthusiasts from as far afield as Serbia, Ireland, Germany and South Africa.

I still get enquiries for plans. My first Telemaster, pictured below, powered by a Merco 61, was an eight-foot Senior Telemaster with the original German wing with inset so-called "Barn Door " ailerons. I had a clubmate draw up a plan of this wing in cad so that it's available to builders who want to make a model with the original wing as opposed to the later strip aileron version.

I've never actually built a Telemaster 1800 aka Telemaster 40, Sparks built it for me, third from the left in the picture below, but I've flown the entire Telemaster range and the T40 is my favourite. I flew it frequently until the wings fell off one day when I was demonstrating it to a potential buyer! I still have the wing and if other projects will permit and I live long enough, I may build another fuselage and tailplane for it one day.

Team Telemaster

senior telemaster merco 61 up.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 07/03/2019 07:26:18

Brett Jones07/03/2019 08:51:02
82 forum posts
283 photos
Posted by Robert Parker on 06/03/2019 21:13:47:

epson074.jpg

I started working in September 1978, the cost of the Avro 504 was a week and a halves wages before tax was deducted.

I got this last year

avro 504 a.jpg

May start building it later this year.

epson076.jpg

I would love to find a copy of this concord, used to see it in the plans guide years ago, gone now.

I once built the Howard Metcalfe Crossfire fibre glass fuselage, never got past the maiden aileron flutter rolled over and in like a rocket. The joys.

Regards

Robert

The plans for the Concorde are on outerzone’s website to downlaod

Concorde

Edited By Brett Jones on 07/03/2019 08:51:32

sharpy107107/03/2019 09:00:11
105 forum posts
26 photos

fullsizeoutput_50.jpegI have several of these posters, I reckon they were printed in the early 60's. Every time I show one to friends they say "I built one of those!"

Cuban807/03/2019 09:49:32
2561 forum posts
12 photos

It's staggering to consider the sheer volume of British model kits that were available back in the day, and of course, that's without the considerable output of the US and Europeans. I suppose the modern phenomenon of the ARTF foamy, but almost exclusively from the Far East now, mirrors the volumes of the old kits, so the flyers are still out there, but just a different breed with different requirements.

However, do I detect a degree of ARTF 'fatigue' setting in. I bought a couple of ready to go models just for the buzz of instant gratification, but I doubt if I'd be inclined to spend again on yet another small, 3S warbird. Even the larger and very nice FMS examples are nowhere near as common on the fields that I use, compared to three or four years ago. Might be different elsewhere? A number of chaps in my club who have been down the ARTF fixed wing/Heli/drone route recently, are now enamoured with of all things..........autogyros!

Goodness knows where we'll be in say five years time.

Alan Gorham_07/03/2019 10:11:22
864 forum posts
95 photos

Personally I never found far-eastern ARTFs very satisfactory. Wrinkly covering, no fuelproofer applied in tank/engine bays, poor gluing especially around U/C mounts and frequently cheap rubbish hardware.

It always meant extra work for me putting one together which defeats the object of buying an ARTF in the first place.

Plus I've never found them very durable, looking tatty or even falling apart after 2 or 3 years flying.

Contrast that with most of my British made built-up kits that are tougher and have lasted many years (I had a DB Barnstormer 63 that flew regularly for 32 years - only recovered twice in that time).

I did buy 3 or 4 ARTFs as "quick-fix, get me flying models" a few years ago but I would now not bother, especially as ARTF prices have risen so much in the last few years. It's definitely made good kits and plan building more attractive.

Cuban807/03/2019 11:25:09
2561 forum posts
12 photos

I think it was the novelty factor that drove the early ARTFs, certainly, as Alan says above, it wasn't for the outstanding quality. The Vietnamese manufactured VMARs were shocking for build and finish, but at around, IIRC, eighty quid for a 60" span Extra or CAP, they served a purpose and gave a season or two's flying before the covering fell off or you'd got sick of repairing the undercart mounts. To be fair, they did improve quite a bit over time, and the likes of Hanger 9, Black Horse etc aren't too bad at all now.............but the prices are nowhere near like they were and I think that's been a factor in dropping sales.

To get back to kits and building (what I think most of us would like to see become really popular and mainstream again) we're seeing big adverts from Sarik and Tony Nijhuis in the magazine and that's excellent. A few others as well like Cambrian and DB Sport and Scale etc are all surviving the lean times and hopefully, will enjoy better business in the coming years.

extra slim07/03/2019 11:34:03
443 forum posts
48 photos

The old man used to say that ARTC (Almost ready to cover) would have been much better, so you could see all the poor joints, reinforce where you wanted and cover with your own scheme... I think some companies did dabble in this but it looks to have dropped right off..... I guess that is where some of the foam deck, foam wing, sometimes pre built fus (DSM) were leading the way.. way back... !

Braddock, VC07/03/2019 11:41:59
1618 forum posts
76 photos

MicroMold kits, I bought the kawasaki hien and liked it so much I bought another "just in case" I sold the second at the 2004 nats for a bit more than I gave for it and two weeks or so later, just in case happened and an oak tree trunk v balsa proved the old saying a good big un will always beat a good little un.

Always wanted the spit mk 24 I think. Ho Hum, don't have the reflexes now to keep up with it though.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us