Forum sponsored by CML

Chris Foss Phase 6 Build

Step by step build of a Phase 6 Slope Soaring Glider

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Hampshire11/03/2019 13:34:45
27 forum posts
27 photos

I am not a builder and have spent years flying pre-owned models or models that other people have built for me.

I started last year with a build of a free RCM & E glider plan of a Highside Glider: **LINK**

It flies a little like a brick but in a breeze with good lift the Highside Glider it is very stable and fun to fly.

This year it was time for something else. I have flown 4 Phase 6 gliders over the years and each one I have really enjoyed. My father (Tim Hampshire) built a very nice Phase 6 but with landing flaps. This gave the model really good landing control in tight spaces and this is what I wanted to replicate.

Well I started the Phase 6 build blog about 4 weeks ago and progress is coming along well with the model not far from being covered. The build blog wasn't posted to promote my building skills but maybe to highlight the area's that I have struggled with and how I managed to get over these issues.

I have made some great 'School Boy Errors' along the way and if I ever built another one then I would do so many things differently. This may help others not fall into the traps I have.

Anyway, here is the link to my Phase 6 build blog. It includes lots of text, pictures as well as a few videos.

**LINK**

Cheers

Paul Hampshire

Slope Soaring Sussex Club

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 11/03/2019 13:40:36

Paul Hampshire14/03/2019 14:46:12
27 forum posts
27 photos

Here is a video of me flying my dads Phase 6 with landing flaps. It was so stable and with very effective ailerons when full landing flap deployed.

**LINK**

Stephen Belshaw15/03/2019 09:39:06
73 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks for posting that, I had a Phase 6 many years ago so enjoyed reading the build blog and watching it fly - seems with the flaps you can hover it in to a landing!

Paul Hampshire15/03/2019 10:12:00
27 forum posts
27 photos

Thanks Steve.

Glad you enjoyed the build blog. I think I just wanted to show that you can build one of these classic slopers with minimal building experience.

As and when she gets her maiden then I will post up a video.

What did you think of our slope soaring blog?

Its all about sharing the love of our sport really.

Paul

Jonathan M16/03/2019 08:36:51
604 forum posts
267 photos

Well done Paul!

Very reminiscent of the Middle Phase (aileron wing version) build I completed a year ago as my first proper balsa kit - hugely enjoyable process (both the build and blogging it on here) and a very good soarer despite its semi-symmetrical wing limitations. I did briefly consider a Phase 6 as a follow-on build, or even a Phase 5 from plans, but decided in the end on a Quark 2 slow aerobatic (for which I'll do a build blog on here once I start later in the Spring).

Enjoy maidening the fruit of your own labours!

Wihtgar16/03/2019 10:22:42
59 forum posts

Hi Paul, are the servo cable connectors buried in the the wing slots that were carved out? I'm planning to start building a middle phase and wondering what to do with them.

Paul Hampshire16/03/2019 10:40:00
27 forum posts
27 photos

Slots cut into wing. Cables laid in and the balsa strips fill in the slots and then sanded smooth.

img_3746.jpg

Paul Hampshire16/03/2019 10:42:30
27 forum posts
27 photos

img_3741.jpg

Paul Hampshire16/03/2019 10:48:04
27 forum posts
27 photos

img_3771.jpgLanding Flaps before and after covering

img_3792.jpg

Paul Hampshire16/03/2019 10:51:11
27 forum posts
27 photos

Basic covering done in dark blue and fluorescent orange. Waiting on Solartrim vinyl for contrasting colours

935d61b1-edca-412d-94c6-681074965e18.jpg

1694bfc7-8f90-4b1f-979e-8ffcd5023ed5.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us