Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Scammer alert Darren Rowden

New kid on the block

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Smith 1417/03/2019 18:05:17
154 forum posts

Pretty sure no one falls for these idiots anymore but just in case advertised on BMFA and got a reply from Darren Rowden. Normal thing will send cheque then send his shipper you know the score.

Sent him the following reply

Name to be written on cheque
Michael Mouse
Address to send cheque to and pick up
Walt Disney World Resort,
Orlando,
FL 32830,
USA
Phone number
0800 169 0749
PS Your grammar and spelling need desperate improvement
Alan Gorham_17/03/2019 18:09:46
1069 forum posts
129 photos

I thought BMFA advised you not to put your email or phone number into the classifieds ads so that scammers can't find your details and only bona fide BMFA members can get in touch via the internal messaging system?

That should stop this from happening at all.

Stephen Smith 1417/03/2019 19:18:57
154 forum posts
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 17/03/2019 18:09:46:

I thought BMFA advised you not to put your email or phone number into the classifieds ads so that scammers can't find your details and only bona fide BMFA members can get in touch via the internal messaging system?

That should stop this from happening at all.

Yes they do but I'm sure I can weed out the scammers and thought I would help others. If your unsure of your ability to spot them, and it's not hard, don't put your details but accept you may be reducing your market. I know a few modellers that look but aren't registered and don't understand how to put can pick up a phone and make a call, and not forgetting modellers that aren't BMFA members, and yes there are some.

Alan Gorham_17/03/2019 19:28:30
1069 forum posts
129 photos

I think I'd settle for advertising to a market of genuine modellers and not have my email address on public view!

MaL18/03/2019 11:30:20
140 forum posts
13 photos

I think I would go get a new email address just for the advert and have the best of both worlds.....

fly boy318/03/2019 15:12:21
3535 forum posts
18 photos

I think Stephen is only trying to let us know this scammer problem will always be with us, and we should never be complacent about hackers etc. I for one thank him. Cheers

Alan Gorham_18/03/2019 16:24:02
1069 forum posts
129 photos

But scammers can only get your email address to attempt to scam you with if you ignore the BMFAs advice and put it in your classified advert, so if you follow the advice given you won't get any of these messages.

So if you want to avoid complacency do as the BMFA say and the scammers are stuffed QED.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us