Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Spektrum Radio repairs ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cuban821/03/2019 09:48:27
2563 forum posts
12 photos

Re the now defunct UK Horizon service centre. I used to work in Harlow and Horizon's premises were only a couple of minutes drive away in Ployters Road. I popped into them after work a couple of times and quite out of the blue. On the first time with a small helicopter that had a failed tail rotor motor and on the second occasion with a receiver that I'd bought new but I'd noticed a small solder splash on the servo connector that I was unhappy about.

Both items were replaced FoC while I waited so I can only say that my experience of them was very good indeed.

David Davis21/03/2019 11:27:33
3348 forum posts
580 photos

My experience is the contrary of yours Digger. Excellent service from Horizon Hobby when they were located in Harlow, kept waiting for six weeks, if memory serves, by the workshop in Barsbuttel when my DX9 transmitter packed up. They refused to answer any emails or even phone calls at the time and I can speak German pretty well. That's why I sent my transmitter to Logic RC.

In my view the reason for moving all of the service and repair work to one single location in Europe is to make more profit for the owners. By moving to one place you don't have to pay multiple rents and you can employ fewer staff. Customer service can suffer in the process. I hope that Horizon Hobbies in Germany have now recruited an adequate number of technicians to deal with the demand for repairs and servicing but after my experience I won't be giving them any more trade. In fact, if I have any further trouble with my Spektrum equipment, I'm thinking of going over to Multiplex.

PS. I never had any problems with Sanwa and Futaba FM stuff in over twenty years.

Nigel R21/03/2019 15:22:46
2923 forum posts
470 photos

"In my view the reason for moving all of the service and repair work to one single location in Europe is to make more profit for the owners."

Do you know this, or is it assumption?

David Davis21/03/2019 15:41:51
3348 forum posts
580 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 21/03/2019 15:22:46:

"In my view the reason for moving all of the service and repair work to one single location in Europe is to make more profit for the owners."

It's an assumption based on what has happened in other areas of modern industrial practice.

Stephen Smith 1421/03/2019 18:23:34
148 forum posts
Posted by David Davis on 21/03/2019 15:41:51:
Posted by Nigel R on 21/03/2019 15:22:46:

It's an assumption based on what has happened in other areas of modern industrial practice.

Doubt they did it for any other reason, that's what businesses do, at the end of the day the only thing that counts is bottom line, and if you think any different try running a business.

Lima Hotel Foxtrot21/03/2019 19:25:59
344 forum posts
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 19/03/2019 20:26:17:

Sorry, not familiar with that particular Rx and did not realise that it uses extended coax unlike the JR/Spektrum/Orange etc that I often use and have replaced aerials on. You could always buy say, a FrSky Rx one and solder the end to the Rx. after cutting off the micro connector. This part can be as long as you like.

Out of interest, how is the range on the RX's you did this to? I'm curious because all 2.4 aerials work the same way. 😒

Martin McIntosh21/03/2019 20:02:13
2871 forum posts
1058 photos

As far as I am aware it is only the last 26mm of unshielded coax which matters.

I_AM_MARKEVANS22/03/2019 01:24:45
117 forum posts

I'm seeing posts dated yesterday and talk of still sending Spektrum gear to Germany for service. This is no longer the case, Logic RC handles all service and repairs now, they have ex Spektrum/HH guys working there and they are pretty quick to respond to emails.

I'm sure most of you know, but after seeing the above posts I just thought I'd post.

Mark

DIGGER22/03/2019 04:50:38
132 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by I_AM_MARKEVANS on 22/03/2019 01:24:45:

I'm seeing posts dated yesterday and talk of still sending Spektrum gear to Germany for service. This is no longer the case, Logic RC handles all service and repairs now, they have ex Spektrum/HH guys working there and they are pretty quick to respond to emails.

I'm sure most of you know, but after seeing the above posts I just thought I'd post.

Mark

Yes , but the big question is does Logic RC do repairs for free, probably not, I live in Cyprus so Germany is my nearest and so far trouble free., but if Logic will do repairs for free I might use them.

Chris

David Davis22/03/2019 08:57:57
3348 forum posts
580 photos
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 21/03/2019 18:23:34:

Doubt they did it for any other reason, that's what businesses do, at the end of the day the only thing that counts is bottom line, and if you think any different try running a business.

The bottom line will be adversely affected if customers stop using the product in sufficient numbers owing to inadequate customer service.

As for Logic RC I paid them £76 to service my DX9 and to send it back to me at my home in France. So far I've only used it in the workshop. I plan to use it at the flying field over the weekend.

Nigel R22/03/2019 11:14:21
2923 forum posts
470 photos

indeed it will, I suppose I was questioning whether you thought it was a pure money grab move or whether it might represent a consolidation to improve the central repair effectiveness whilst farming out the simpler repairs to a 'franchise' (as it were).

another question or two if I may, do you believe multiplex take a different approach?

or is your potential switch more to do with the reliability of kit?

PS not trying to be awkward or provocative, although realise my earlier post could have come across a bit blunt

David Davis22/03/2019 18:59:20
3348 forum posts
580 photos

Nigel, I thought it was a rationalisation which could have worked if Barsbuttel had recruited more technicians to deal with the inevitable increase in demand which should have been predicted. By not employing more staff as the other service centres were closed down, Barsbuttel was swamped with work. By not responding to my calls and emails after they had kept my transmitter for an unacceptably long time, they certainly alienated this Spektrum user.

I intend to carry on using my DX9 as long as it proves reliable. I've had no problems with my DX6i other than a broken rudder trim which was a common fault. This was replaced foc by Harlow and sent back to me by return of post.

I shall only invest in Multiplex equipment if my DX9 proves unreliable. My reasons for considering Multiplex include experience of the reliability of German products and the fact that at least some of their stuff is made in Germany and has "Made In Germany" printed on it!

Nigel R25/03/2019 10:26:09
2923 forum posts
470 photos

David, fair points, thanks for explaining

Colin Leighfield02/04/2019 22:47:40
5889 forum posts
2459 photos

After several years use both of my old Dx6i transmitters developed problems. With one the response to the roller when adjusting settings became unreliable. The other developed an intermittent signal loss which I first thought was my lousy flying but eventually proved to be the tx after all. I contacted Als Hobbies on Friday, posted them on Saturday morning and they came back fixed this morning (Tuesday). Thanks to Garry Brace, this really is exemplary service. Cost a total of £50 for the two plus postage. 

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 02/04/2019 22:48:56

Chris Walby03/04/2019 06:20:25
943 forum posts
226 photos

Gary has been busy! dropped my two DX8 g1's off last week (usual aerial issues + one display back light not working).

Parts ordered and fitted Monday followed with a call from Gary to arrange delivery and parcel arrived yesterday with a couple AR410's to save me picking them up else where. Result!

Plus he doubled checked the software versions and product recalls were up to date.

Good product support has returned wink

Paul Marsh08/05/2019 20:25:40
3645 forum posts
1017 photos

I had a corrupted DX6 from a club member I sent to Logic RC (bought from SWM in 2015)

Just saying that seems Spektrum repairs are ok again, and thanks to Logic RC for fixing the fault and sending it back FOC. Trust in Spektrum service agents have been improved after the problems last year and before then,

I'm thinking of having my DX18QQ service, as it's a few years old and worth having it done. Will send it to Logic at the end of the year, as I reckon the models will be wiped, although got backup, just not looking forward to rebinding 150 plus models on that tx!!!

Maybe get the new IX12 at Weston Park...?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 08/05/2019 20:26:55

conrad taggart08/05/2019 22:49:09
71 forum posts

Its the sort of thing that generally happens when venture capitalists become involved - endless cost cutting (consolidation) and lack of investment ...

**LINK**

David Davis18/07/2019 11:36:03
3348 forum posts
580 photos

I was having a great afternoon at the club yesterday, my trainee is coming on in leaps and bounds and I managed to get the OS 48 Surpass functioning beautifully in my Baron, a simple three channel French trainer with which I shall compete in a light-hearted competition in September. Then the throttle trim packed up on my DX9. It would allow you to reduce the tickover but when I tried to advance it nothing happened. Further investigation revealed that it had failed mechanically. The trim lever is sprung in both directions but the upper spring is u/s.

I phoned John at Logic R/C and he said that he could replace it for £14.99 plus postage,which I think is pretty fair. Spare parts are not sole to the general public it would appear? Good job I've kept my DX6i I can use that while the DX9 is being repaired.

Will the charger supplied with the DX9 charge my DX6i or are the polarities different?

Edited By David Davis on 18/07/2019 11:49:24

Ray Bull 320/07/2019 07:50:20
4 forum posts
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/03/2019 18:40:43:

I've heard separately that Logic RC and Nexus models handle Spectrum repairs. I'd give them both a call and see what they have to say.

I agree with Chris , Logic rc is the place, I had my ix12 for a week and the screen went blank, under guarantee , sent to Logicrc and within 10 days had my tranny back fully servieable, so hats of to Logic rc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us