Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Matt's renaissance build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Piers Bowlan12/04/2019 15:51:28
1825 forum posts
44 photos

Martin, I can think of many examples of both light aircraft and jet transports that can droop their ailerons when flaps are lowered to facilitate a lower approach and landing speed. I believe all these aircraft have separate ailerons and flaps not flaperons (correct me if I am wrong). Also, with a full size aircraft the pilot has accurate airspeed information, not so a model aircraft. Consequently just because a transmitter can mix flap and aileron functions it is not necessarily desirable, hence my comments in my previous posts. However it is a free country so if that floats your boat, then try it. What can possibly go wrong? devil

Martin Harris12/04/2019 18:14:35
8736 forum posts
214 photos

I wasn't meaning to suggest drooping ailerons Piers - in fact, just the opposite. I would certainly concur that using strip ailerons or inset ones as flaperons is a recipe for a nasty tip stally model! I have improved the behaviour of models prone to tip stalling by setting small amounts of upward deflection to both ailerons and I'm quite sure that doing the opposite would be a very bad idea indeed!

I have used ailerons for approach control in the opposite sense with great success - on a 4m glider that I acquired which came without flaps, spoilers or airbrakes, I created a slider controlled mix so that the ailerons could be deflected upwards to well over 45 degrees - roll control still being adequate on finals by reducing the total movement on the appropriate side with the aileron stick.

The full sized ASW20 which was the flapped glider I was most familiar with for example, mixes ailerons with flaps for roll control such that the trailing edges of flaps and ailerons are synchronised in the neutral and higher speed settings (negative) but in the landing configuration it set the neutral position of the ailerons at -8 degrees with the flaps at +55 degrees.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/04/2019 18:22:06

Piers Bowlan13/04/2019 08:43:36
1825 forum posts
44 photos

Martin, sorry if I misunderstood your post. Yes absolutely, reflexed ailerons are an excellent way of glide path control rather like using spoilers on the approach. The full sized Lockheed Tristar did this very thing. I believe they called it 'active ailerons', long before the advent of 'fly by wire'.

Using reflexed ailerons mixed with flap (crow braking) can have the added bonus of eliminating the trim change too.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/04/2019 08:45:00

Matt Storey 117/04/2019 15:01:32
25 forum posts
23 photos

Ready for covering now - will get in progress pics up tomorrow.

Also tested with dummy weight to simulate the motor and a 4S battery, right against the firewall - was nose heavy! Will neeed to dry fit everything and test the CG point again, although it looks like the battery placement can be used to balance rather than add weights.

Also sent myself the goal of using the extended weekend to finish the airframe, install all radio gear and carry out thrust tests.

The maiden flight is not far away!

Matt Storey 118/04/2019 19:56:22
25 forum posts
23 photos

7bfbfeda-f403-4f0a-9839-95254fd2ade4.jpegAll covered up!

Motor mount and radio gear tomorrow..8e0c867e-ea64-40d3-ae9d-9fe6b49895b6.jpeg

Chris Bates18/04/2019 22:28:03
35 forum posts
122 photos

Looking good. I still have a long way to go.

Matt Storey 106/05/2019 11:33:35
25 forum posts
23 photos

da9231e8-06a4-4220-bf2d-6b23490f9493.jpegAnd it flies!!!

Went to my club fly in yesterday. Not ideal with gusting conditions and busy air space, but went well.

Got up twice - one test flight to check handling and then a second with some light aerobatics.

Now working on increasing the throws and getting used to it.db415cbd-0a9a-449b-9a22-7f5c03e6164e.jpeg

Matt Storey 109/05/2019 11:34:29
25 forum posts
23 photos

Looked at a couple of pics from the maiden flight, specifically one where i was banked round for a pass, and thought the wing looked a bit too narrow...

Now have new wingtips added. Will be sanding flush tonight and recovered.

Then had another thought... The wing is quite far back in the fuselage. It almost looks like the placement for a lower wing on a biplane. Further (possibly ridiculous) thought, what if it was a biplane? Just build a new one with the cockpit set back against Former 4 and cabane struts between F2 and F3. A second top wing would have no dihedral and likely a cut out at the back around the cockpit - that would look really good...

Now browsing SLEC and debating whether or not it's worth the 'spousal tension'....

Lindsay Todd12/05/2019 21:21:49
1694 forum posts
1699 photos

Nice one, it struck me that a biplane version would work well. Lindsay

Low pass Pete27/05/2019 09:14:30
214 forum posts
121 photos
Posted by Lindsay Todd on 12/05/2019 21:21:49:

Nice one, it struck me that a biplane version would work well. Lindsay

I agree Lindsay and it flew as well as my Skywriter it would be ace.

Cheers
Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 27/05/2019 09:14:47

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us