Forum sponsored by CML

Buying a Spektrum DX7

Helpful advice please...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allan Bowker30/10/2008 00:59:00
1641 forum posts
228 photos

Well I have saved up my pennies and I can finally afford to fork out £239.99 on a new Spektrum DX7.

So what's the problem you may ask? What are you waiting for?

Well I do have a few questions and would welcome any helpful comments from you.

1) Why can the DX7 not be altered between Mode1 and Mode2 (throttle stick config).
This is usually just a spring and ratchet to be moved.

2) Should I go Mode1 or Mode2 (I can fly both but have mode1 on my old plane radio and mode2 on my heli)

3) Any other comments, hints or tips when buying this radio?

Thanks everyone

Always broke30/10/2008 07:21:00
103 forum posts
4 photos

I have no idea why you can't change it but I do no that If I learnt to fly again I would have learnt on mode 1 .

Just think its mutch better . Been trying to teach myself on the sim but the poor old grey matter wont have it.

Tim Mackey30/10/2008 08:05:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

1) Because they didnt make it that way - god knows why.

2)  Doesnt matter - each have their share of excellent pilots and rubbish pilots.

3) Ensure the retailer can guarantee that the supplied Rx is QC enabled ( firmware ver 1.6 or higher )

Your welcome

Alan B30/10/2008 08:52:00
680 forum posts
92 photos

Hi Allan

Good choice - However have a good look around on pricing - I've even seen them as low as £185 for the complete set.   However that was Al's Hobbies at the last Nats.

Al

Ultymate30/10/2008 11:04:00
1703 forum posts
62 photos

Allan,

How well do you fly both modes? Whichever way you go I would'nt reccomend continually swapping a trannie over between modes so you're either going to have to run two T/X's one on mode 1 for fixed wing and the other for your heli(s) on mode 2. I would suggest that if you've only just started out on the helis to switch to mode 1 on your heli also. At the end of the day it's your decision, I personally would'nt want to be flying two modes sooner or later I think you'd make an "instictive error" which could cost you a model (or worse). Just my two penneth FWIW, and I do fly both fixed wing and helis by the way

Allan Bowker30/10/2008 12:03:00
1641 forum posts
228 photos
Thanks everyone for the comments so far, Timbo's comment regarding the firmware is handy to know
Peter Budd31/10/2008 18:09:00
50 forum posts

Inwoods are doing them for £217 full set.

May be going that route if they can bring one up to the Yorkshire show in November.

Tim Mackey31/10/2008 20:21:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Inwoods did the best deal for me at the nats on a DX6i for wifey - £45 !
Allan Bowker01/11/2008 00:51:00
1641 forum posts
228 photos

Inwoods price sounds good, just checked their website but don't see ANY Spektrum sets listed (weird!).
They have some on the front page, but nothing in the online shop (JR/Spektrum section).

The mid November Yorkshire show sounds good but would cost me when travelling from the West Midlands, so cancelling out the savings.

Peter Budd01/11/2008 07:57:00
50 forum posts
When I spoke to them they said that for some reason it did not come up on their listings.  Do a search and it comes up ok. Or give them a ring.  Tx and Rx £187 if I remember right.
Allan Bowker04/12/2008 11:49:00
1641 forum posts
228 photos

Just as an update and maybe some closure to this thread...

I purchased my DX7 set (TX,RX,Servos, battery, etc) from Penn Models (West Midlands) as I like to support my local model shops. Cost me £239  

I'm very happy with it and look forward to Summer 2009

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post a reply above

Oh, and I went with Mode2 in the end. Looks like it's both Heli's and Planes for me in the future.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!