Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Range of a Gypsy Moth?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Den Moran29/03/2019 10:47:55
141 forum posts
18 photos

Hi,everyone -this is really for 'everything flying'! I'm reading about Amy Johnson, and her epic trips, and I wondered - does anyone have any idea of the range of a DH Gypsy Moth, please? Cheers, Den, Llangyfelach.

Former Member29/03/2019 11:10:43

[This posting has been removed]

Geoff Sleath29/03/2019 11:32:25
3298 forum posts
251 photos

Francis Chichester flew his across the Tasman Sea from New Zealand to Australia with a refuelling stop on Lord Howe Island. Really a feat of navigation as much as aviation. He did have floats fitted but I doubt landing (seaing?) in the middle of the ocean would have helped much

Geoff

PatMc29/03/2019 12:35:38
4191 forum posts
520 photos

Amy's aircraft had, as you would expect, long range tanks fitted. Here's a link with some details of the flight to Australia. The link is to a pdf file from East Riding museums. there may be a security caution when downloading. 
AFAICS first two legs were the longest at about 780 miles, average distance of 16 legs was about 600 miles but wind speed & direction would have made a a big difference.

Edited By PatMc on 29/03/2019 13:14:16

Simon Chaddock29/03/2019 14:09:56
5416 forum posts
2831 photos

I believe a special prop was also used being set for max cruise efficiency rather than the standard set for best all round performance..I understand such a prop makes a significant difference in the order of 10% better mpg.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us