Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

300 sized brushed motors and 400 motors+gearboxes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Thomas Gooderham07/04/2019 01:11:19
23 forum posts
2 photos

HI all, I have acquired a West Wings Toucan to build, and also have a mosquito to build. West Wing suggests either 300 sized motor for slow flying, or 400 size for fast flying, whereas the Mosquito calls for 2 x 400 size motor. Now I know there is an equivalent Quantum brushless motor for 400 size brushless, but is there actually a manufacturer/supplier of 300/400 sized brushed motors (for those that want to stick as close to the original plans?)

Piers Bowlan07/04/2019 06:53:45
1769 forum posts
42 photos

John Swain of Fanfare used to sell brushed motors and controllers, back in the day, you could try calling him if he is still trading (website is still there).

The real question is, why would you want to fit a speed 400 motor? These models were designed when there were no alternative, or early BL motors cost a king's ransom. BL motors are, as I am sure you know, much lighter and more efficient giving more performance and greater duration. They will last longer too with no commutator to blacken and erode. What is not to like? You may also have trouble sourcing brushed speed controllers.

Just my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 06:59:02

Percy Verance07/04/2019 07:16:18
8065 forum posts
155 photos

Thomas

A further option could be to contact George Worley at 4Max. He usually has brushless direct replacements/equivalents for most 400 and 600 sized brushed motors. He also has all the other items too such as speed controllers etc.

Just do a Google search for 4Max, also sometimes referred to as Purple Power........

And as Piers mentioned, why would you bother with a brushed motor these days when brushless is infinately superior? You may be able to find small brushed motors still being offered Thomas, but these will probably be intended for non modelling applications, and may not suit model aircraft use. And a gearbox? It must be years since I saw a gearbox being used in an electric model. Go brushless Thomas, no gearbox needed.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/04/2019 07:30:30

Piers Bowlan07/04/2019 08:31:55
1769 forum posts
42 photos

Yes, a phone call to George would be a good call Percy. A BL in-runner might be a drop-in solution but the kv is usually rather high with these in-runners (2000+) and a better solution might be a small out-runner. A speed 400 motor is 28mm in dia. so if Thomas doesn't want to modify the cowling, an out-runner with a smaller dia. would be required. I used one of these in an MPX Merlin and I think it will also work well in the 34in span Toucan, which should only weigh about 14oz. all up. (this motor dia is 22mm and should be good for 90W).

Alternatively fit one of these for more lively performance on 200W, but you will need to modify the cowl slightly. 

If you google 'Westwings Toucan' you will find several threads on this forum Thomas.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 08:35:33

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/04/2019 08:50:03

Simon Chaddock07/04/2019 09:44:31
5390 forum posts
2818 photos

As Piers says you would only fit a brushed motor set up if you positively wished to keep exactly to a old plan.

If you go brushless be aware that a 'like for like' swap using Watts will give the plane a substantial improvement in full power performance - less weight, more thrust and more torque - so be aware of that with the maiden!

Steve J07/04/2019 10:01:35
1151 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Thomas Gooderham on 07/04/2019 01:11:19:

a manufacturer/supplier of 300/400 sized brushed motors

If you really want to go brushed, then I would suggest trying model boat suppliers, e.g. Cornwall Model Boats.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Slec
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us