Forum sponsored by CML

Prostate Cancer

getting checked is better than dying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Ovenden25/06/2020 21:16:23
362 forum posts
17 photos

Brian, like Martian I am so sorry that you have suffered with delayed diagnosis of prostate cancer. I can sympathise as this was also my experience. I even managed to get a PSA test which showed 10 but my doctor told me not to worry as it really didn't believe it was cancer. I had to wait 6 months to see a consultant who then v quickly diagnosed a very agressive cancer that had started to spread beyond the prostate.

However after 14 months of hormone treatment and 8 weeks of radiotherapy I now have a PSA of 0.07 and today my consultant told me he didn't need to see me again until March 2021.My life is almost back to normal again.

So we have to all keep alert and make sure we insist on regular checks. If in doubt get a second opinion. I now wish I had insisted on seeing a cancer consultant earlier. Due to my unfortunate experience I have done a lot of reading and am much better informed now. I try to make sure I ask all the questions possible when I get to see a doctor. That said, my consultant has been excellent and I can't fault the treatment I have received once it started.

Keep positive, there are so many treatments now available and research is ongoing so outcomes are improving all the time. I trust that the scans don't reveal anything negative. God bless.

Martian25/06/2020 21:29:57
2545 forum posts
1169 photos

Dave yes there are still to many GPs who do not or will not rely on a PSA test but he guys have right to get checked and taken seriously even see another GP ,with an aggressive cancer 6 weeks is to long never mind 6 months

Andy Joyce26/06/2020 09:01:48
266 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 24/06/2020 22:38:53:

HI Andy,

Largely on account of reading this thread and a having displayed a few of the usual symptoms, I went for a check up. Fortunately all clear on the PSA front. It's easy to be complacent until its too late though, so I would encourage everyone on here to get tested.

To all those that have posted so far, keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Robin

Glad to hear all is OK, at least you can strike that problem of the old age list!

Andy Joyce26/06/2020 09:08:24
266 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by FlyinBrian on 25/06/2020 08:15:26:

I am a late comer here but was diagnosed April 2019 after a long wait to see a consultant. I am actually very disappointed with my local NHS as I had had urinary problems for a while before anyone suggested I have my prostrate checked. I am 72 and started having trouble in mid 2018 which was treated with antibiotics but did not fully go away.

Anyway bottom line is I have just had another scan as it seems it may have spread to my bones and Lymph nodes, possibly to my bowels too. - SCARY

I am waiting for the results and an appointment with an oncologist - hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear that this diagnosis has come late Brian. My cancer was only picked up be shear chance in my attempts to get a scan for my bad back.

Think this of what comes of the UK not having a national screening policy for Prostrate Cancer.

My wife has friends husband in a similar position to yourself so assume they will now put you on hormone injections to lower your testosterone.

Good luck with your treatment.

FlyinBrian26/06/2020 16:01:06
645 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Andy Joyce on 26/06/2020 09:08:24:
Posted by FlyinBrian on 25/06/2020 08:15:26:

I am a late comer here but was diagnosed April 2019 after a long wait to see a consultant. I am actually very disappointed with my local NHS as I had had urinary problems for a while before anyone suggested I have my prostrate checked. I am 72 and started having trouble in mid 2018 which was treated with antibiotics but did not fully go away.

Anyway bottom line is I have just had another scan as it seems it may have spread to my bones and Lymph nodes, possibly to my bowels too. - SCARY

I am waiting for the results and an appointment with an oncologist - hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear that this diagnosis has come late Brian. My cancer was only picked up be shear chance in my attempts to get a scan for my bad back.

Think this of what comes of the UK not having a national screening policy for Prostrate Cancer.

My wife has friends husband in a similar position to yourself so assume they will now put you on hormone injections to lower your testosterone.

Good luck with your treatment.

I am already on hormone treatment, since May last year but no further tests were done till November and my PSA was still 10. Since then I have had a phone apt with a consultant who referred me to Oncology, that was mid may and the Oncology consultant rang me last Tuesday and set up another scan which has now been done. Awaiting further news.

Hope your treatment is going well.

Edited By FlyinBrian on 26/06/2020 16:01:51

Andy Joyce02/07/2020 09:42:41
266 forum posts
54 photos

See my oncologist this month Brian so will know more then. My initial PSA score was 16 but did fall significantly after starting the hormone injections.

Have you had a biopsy taken yet?

Keith Berriman25/07/2020 10:10:56
756 forum posts
11 photos

Good morning followers of this topic and would like to advise of my situation although not as serious as some people. I had to have neck and chest CT scan on Monday for some other problems and was advised later they had gone further down the body to check prostate area. I was advised my gland was a little over sized and was able to tell them I had the digits test 5 years ago and was noted slightly enlarged then. So during various blood test taken in the week an extra sample taken for the PSA levels this has come back as level 2 and thankfully no further action required for now. All the best to other followers

Andy Joyce31/07/2020 10:21:42
266 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Keith Berriman on 25/07/2020 10:10:56:

Good morning followers of this topic and would like to advise of my situation although not as serious as some people. I had to have neck and chest CT scan on Monday for some other problems and was advised later they had gone further down the body to check prostate area. I was advised my gland was a little over sized and was able to tell them I had the digits test 5 years ago and was noted slightly enlarged then. So during various blood test taken in the week an extra sample taken for the PSA levels this has come back as level 2 and thankfully no further action required for now. All the best to other followers

Had my 3 month blood test last week Keith and the result came back as 0.35. Thought it should have been lower but a Google search suggested there is no normal PSA reading and anything below 4 was acceptable, so your reading is possibly ok. Has your consultant suggested a biopsy? Have heard several people being put on observation of the PSA reading over time but their outcome never seems good.

Trust all this COVID issue is not delaying your other treatment. I was lucky having started my treatment just as the problem emerged in the far east.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!