Forum sponsored by CML

Prostate Cancer

getting checked is better than dying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Joyce07/06/2019 19:56:27
36 forum posts
9 photos

Think there must be a carcinogenic in the fuel we all use. Booked in for my MRI next week following a slightly elevated blood test result. Rule must be don’t lick your fingers after flying or was it after the hospital visit.

Malcolm Fisher07/06/2019 20:12:04
601 forum posts
7 photos

After being diagnosed with this in 2006 I was told of the three possible treatments at that time - brachytherapy, chemo therapy or surgery (if my memory isn't playing tricks).

I asked my GP and the consultant which they would opt for given the same degree of the problem as I had. Both said surgery so that it the route I took even following the caveat that incontinence and impotence were possibilities. Fortunately I am not incontinent and at 80 my days of lust are coming to an end anyway.

Since the surgery I have had annual PSA tests and to date the level is non existent.

All in all I feel very fortunate that it was discovered and dealt with.

Malcolm

Martian08/06/2019 10:33:27
2171 forum posts
1058 photos

Good to hear Malcolm

Old Geezer09/06/2019 06:03:37
588 forum posts

Mike - had the same invite, informed that I was "pre-diabetic" and would benefit from their course.

Mine started earlier in the year, and I am now 2/3 the way through the course. The course has been very helpful in a number of ways, well worth the time spent.

Mike Etheridge 109/06/2019 12:19:21
1499 forum posts
408 photos

Thanks OG, presumably the course relates to exercise and diet and physical shape ?

Linds.W09/06/2019 16:19:07
17 forum posts

I have been following this thread with interest. As just finished four weeks of radio therapy at the local hosp. Every day for four weeks was pretty intense. The after/side effects are not much fun best described as chronic jet-lag with gastro-enteritis. Can't muster the urge to go flying or play golf! Still I think I am getting better (I hope).

Linds.W09/06/2019 16:24:37
17 forum posts

Oh I forgot my best wishes to all fellow flyers who are going down this path. Watched my Step-Father ignore the symptoms and not a pleasant way to go. As the sign in the Docs. says:- Get your "Walnut" checked.

Martian09/06/2019 17:30:30
2171 forum posts
1058 photos

Best wishes for your recovery Linds

PatMc11/06/2019 22:55:23
4145 forum posts
518 photos
Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 09/06/2019 12:19:21:

Thanks OG, presumably the course relates to exercise and diet and physical shape ?

Is that the "Healthier You" programme ?

I had routine blood samples taken recently by our practice nurse, one submitted for the HbA1c test came up on the lowest figure within the prediabetes range. I was then offered the option of the "Healthier You" programme.
After talking it over with the nurse & reading their booklet I reckoned that I am lacking in regular physical activities but OK in the other respects. I decided not to join the programme at this time but will follow their advice on recommended activities.

fly-navy12/06/2019 20:44:24
390 forum posts
11 photos

Had my MRI two weeks ago, today received a letter asking me to attend for a prostrate biopsy on the 21st. Got me a bit concerned now, after seeing the consultant and having a DRE with him saying all appears fine with the prostrate nice and smooth!!

Of course as usual we go on holiday tomorrow so had to phone re he appointment. Changed it there and then for the 27th with go and enjoy your holiday and we will see you when you return.

Must say brilliant NHS service for us again.yes

Phil Brooks14/06/2019 08:45:32
461 forum posts
148 photos

It's almost exactly seven years since I started this thread. My PSA began to creep up four years ago, but a course of radiotherapy soon put a stop to it. I now have it checked every six months, due to get the result of the latest test tomorrow, but I'm still here and enjoying life. I've even started flying again! The moral is, get it diagnosed early. Don't die of embarrassment!

Bruce Collinson14/06/2019 09:42:08
361 forum posts

Great original post PB, good to keep a sense of humour.

Plus ca change, n'est pas?

BTC

Piers Bowlan14/06/2019 11:44:05
1769 forum posts
42 photos

fly-navy, it seems pretty routine to do the prostate biopsy after the MRI so I wouldn't assume that the MRI scan revealed anything untoward. I was told from the outset that I would get an MRI scan and biopsy - but all clear fortunately.

Enjoy your holiday.

Phil Brooks15/06/2019 12:07:59
461 forum posts
148 photos

Double joy! Went to hospital this morning for my latest PSA result. Undetectable, "see you next year" and we were in and out so quickly (<20mins.) we didn't have to pay for parking! Just can't help thinking it could have all been very different if not for catching it early. If you're in any doubt at all, GET IT TESTED.

Richard Ashworth15/06/2019 15:09:30
68 forum posts
61 photos

MRI and Biopsy. When I went for the prostate MRI at Leeds I was told that 50% or MRI scans were ‘inconclusive’ and needed a biopsy follow up. That was only a year ago and they recently said they were trialing a new MRI test, things keep changing and improving.

The MRI is less invasive so was the first choice course of action.

Glad that this thread is demystifying the prostate, over 60, make sure you are getting a regular PSA blood test!

Mike Etheridge 115/06/2019 22:49:01
1499 forum posts
408 photos

Met up with some old school friends last week. One had had a prostate removal and looked as fit as a fiddle having exercised regularly including time spent in the gym . My twin brother used to work with his oldest son in IT . However my friend's son got bored with IT and after three attempts got accepted top train as an airline pilot even though he was over 40. He appeared on the TV some months back in a series about training airline pilots , he was filmed doing his first landing. He passed the course and now flies short haul - great, I watched the programs but did not realise it was him !.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/06/2019 22:50:46

Andy Joyce18/06/2019 19:17:52
36 forum posts
9 photos

Have my biopsy on Friday. Any recommendations as to full or spinal anaesthetic?

Must say the NHS work very quick on this problem. MRI last week and biopsy a week latter. 

Edited By Andy Joyce on 18/06/2019 19:22:28

Bruce Collinson18/06/2019 19:41:26
361 forum posts

Of course the other common ailment we’re all at risk of is skin cancer in all its guises. Any appetite to compare notes on keratosis, Efudix and factor 50? Vitiligo?

BTC

Malcolm Fisher18/06/2019 19:52:44
601 forum posts
7 photos

Andy - go for either - they both work and probably spinal could be the better option as I believe you would be in and out more quickly and wouldn't have to go without food as for a general anaesthetic. I had biopsies on two occasions. The first was while under some sort of investigation in hospital. This was done without any anaesthetic and I found it very painful and nearly passed out. When it came to the second time I insisted on a general as I wasn't given the option of a spinal. It was done as a "day case" at St James in Leeds.

HTH Malcolm

stu knowles18/06/2019 20:45:22
547 forum posts
44 photos

On the other hand.... I just had a local anaesthetic and thought it a pretty painless process. In and out within the hour. No discomfort. Job done. You'll know better after the first sample is taken.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us