Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which petrol engine

Looking for an engine for a Wots Wot XL

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Rivers07/04/2019 20:42:07
34 forum posts

I am looking for a 30-35cc petrol engine for a Wots wot XL.

For reasons of cost, I am looking at Chinese made engines.

what are the pros and cons of the different makes. I have looked at RCGF, DLE, EME and NGH. are there any others? Which is the best

i did fancy a twin, but it will not guide fit in the cowl.

I would appreciate any views you may have on the subject.

Paul Marsh07/04/2019 21:09:53
3603 forum posts
1006 photos

AGM, I have a 30cc and so far seems ok. Evolution make petrol engines, as do OS.

Percy Verance07/04/2019 21:11:14
7918 forum posts
152 photos

Any views David? Ok then. Perhaps the foremost issue here is that although the engine itself will be priced aggressively, you'll probably need to spend just as much again on an effective silencer to stand any hope of getting the decibels down to acceptable levels. Unfortunately, these Chinese made engines are not normally noted for their effective silencing. Good luck with whichever one you go for.

I think I'd be tempted to push the boat out a tad further and go for an Evolution engine. These are ( or at least the larger sizes over 30cc were) made by MVVS, and are good reliable performers from a long established model engine company.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/04/2019 21:21:01

Tony Richardson08/04/2019 06:13:24
588 forum posts
25 photos

I have had both DLE and RCGF good power for their size and reliable, no matter which engine you purchase chances are very high an after market muffler will be required to bring the decibels down, never owned an evolution but others in our club have and said they tend to be a little under powered for their size, I have an NGH 39 four stroke on a scale Curtis P6E not a speed king but lots of grunt with a 20x8 prop.

Tony.....

Percy Verance08/04/2019 06:48:47
7918 forum posts
152 photos

And that's pretty much it Tony. Something like a Krumsheid (very effective if they do one for your engine) or else it's a bespoke job from such as Weston UK or Just Engines. Either way you're into three figures.......

That's always been the big downside to model specific two stroke petrol engines. Cheap as chips to run, but noisy. In other applications - strimmers, leaf bowers etc - it isn't as critical to squeeze every last bit of power from them, so decent (albeit power sapping) mufflers are usuallt fitted. The more efficient silencers for model petrol engines, such as the Krumsheid, do actually give a slight increase in power I believe. 

So that's about it really. Cheapie Chinese petrol engine, but fork out the same again for a decent silencer to make it usable and keep your club happy. Or go all out and wait just a little while for Jon to release the Laser 180 petrol?

Answers on a postcard please........... smiley

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/04/2019 07:00:07

Rich too08/04/2019 07:21:22
2876 forum posts
1046 photos

DLE’s would be my budget motor of choice. That airframe may be able to handle the 40 twin but I would stick with the 35ra single. I have had plenty of success with cheaper HK mufflers.. good luck 👍

Itisme08/04/2019 07:26:34
33 forum posts
20 photos

I have a EME35 in my WotsWots XL no problems with it so far.

Percy Verance08/04/2019 17:10:45
7918 forum posts
152 photos

But have you got it down to 82db?  Some clubs insist on it. Yours of course may not.

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/04/2019 17:13:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Motion RC
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us