Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve 122/08/2019 21:13:34
62 forum posts
61 photos

Today I managed do the maiden on my jet provost, a little windy but no problems, just need a couple of pilots now.

T.N provost

Thanks Tony.

Steve

Steve Nash 112/09/2019 21:38:33
52 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Tony, love the Jet Provost. Im building one from the free plan and cant wait to finish it.

where did you get the small stickers for this jet i.e. the ejection seat ones and rescue ones etc?

i'm ok for registration numbers as I can cut them with my vinyl cutter.

Incidentally, did you know that the reg number XH558 is a Vulcan?

thanks mate, keep up the good work. I will probably make the Gnat too.

Tony Nijhuis16/09/2019 22:16:54
609 forum posts
233 photos

Steve,

I found all the small sticker on ebay...they come as a sheet....and yes the reg is from the Vulcan......could be bothered to cut a set of bespoke reg numbers...lol

Steve Nash 116/09/2019 23:37:14
52 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks Tony, will have a look on ebay. Hope mine looks/flies as well as yours

Steve Jones 202/10/2019 12:22:03
586 forum posts
431 photos

Mine is all done, rather happy with result and great build, thanks Tony (onto the Gnat !!)

Front

UndersideCockpit

Rear

Steve

Steve Nash 102/10/2019 13:16:04
52 forum posts
11 photos

Stunning JP, looks awesome. My build is going well, can’t wait to get it finished. The Gnat is also my next choice, I’ve got the FMS fan already for it.

Btw, what did you stick the air intakes on with?

Steve Jones 202/10/2019 19:09:01
586 forum posts
431 photos

I decided to cover the fus in film first then stick the intakes on after. I used canopy glue which seems to have an etch quality to the film but keyed the film with grip paper first. After I applied a fillet of glue on the inside

steve

Steve Nash 102/10/2019 19:38:22
52 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks Steve. Ive just come in from the shed after shaping the wings with a razor plane ready for sanding. Covered in shavings and dust now, just letting the dust settle.

alan barnstable02/10/2019 20:11:50
19 forum posts
2 photos

Also finished mine, nice build, but first flight was hairy (tail heavy). Have added 70g in nose, and waiting for right conditions for second flight.

img_1423.jpg

Steve Nash 102/10/2019 20:58:51
52 forum posts
11 photos

Another nice JP looking ace. I must say that so far this build has been the most I've used my razor plane for ages !!

Steve Jones 202/10/2019 22:10:43
586 forum posts
431 photos

Great looking model Alan, love the reverse roundels

steve

Stephen Jones02/10/2019 22:23:09
2859 forum posts
1628 photos

They look Good Chaps.

Would probably be ok on the slopes too.

Steve.

Steve Jones 223/10/2019 22:24:09
586 forum posts
431 photos

So an update .. maiden was interesting and short .. a good launch resulted in a bang !! 2 secs after take off and a glide to ground

Fan unit pulled out of former and a blade missing !!!not good

rebuild and a new unit and try again .. flight ok this time but pitchy and not comfortable . Power good though.. more weight up front and wow ..on rails and a blast !!!

steve

Steve Jones 223/10/2019 22:24:10
586 forum posts
431 photos

So an update .. maiden was interesting and short .. a good launch resulted in a bang !! 2 secs after take off and a glide to ground

Fan unit pulled out of former and a blade missing !!!not good

rebuild and a new unit and try again .. flight ok this time but pitchy and not comfortable . Power good though.. more weight up front and wow ..on rails and a blast !!!

steve

Geoff Parkes29/10/2019 16:34:17
112 forum posts

just back from the field , maidened my JP- well Boby Bloor did actually, superb flyer , we all thought that it might be marginal on the 3 s FMS fan, also it ended up being 2 ozs overweight, balance as the plan, today was windy, but the little plane coped amazingly well, only comment from Bob was that downwind ( and the plane was really fast ) he got the impression that the ailerons were blowing back - not surprising looking at the speed and ammount of sky the little plane was eating up, after 5 mins flight the battery had 27% left, all in all a good maiden, well done Tony.

David P Williams29/10/2019 17:05:23
914 forum posts
318 photos

Geoff - not sure what you mean by 'ailerons blowing back', and what difference would it make whether it was flying downwind or upwind?

Graham R29/10/2019 17:30:00
364 forum posts
26 photos

Would like to know how you get the black so neat around the curves of the nose without creases in.

Edited By Graham R on 29/10/2019 17:30:27

leccyflyer29/10/2019 19:19:24
1518 forum posts
327 photos

Saw one of my flying pals' scaled up JP at the field today - she looked lovely in the air and flew very well indeed. He has a surfeit of 64mm fans and no 50mm fans and so he scaled up the plant to fit, making for a larger model, with a built up wing and quite a large amount of the upper and lower fuselage sheeting removed to save weight.

Geoff Parkes30/10/2019 09:00:11
112 forum posts

David, we flew the plane yesterday in approx.20 mph plus winds, so there was an appreciable speed difference going into wind and with the wind behind the plane, at a guess it was 50% faster with the wind behind the plane, this being so there was more wind pressure on the ailerons - the aileron servos are only small because they project from the underside of the fuselage and they dont develop much power, we think on the downwind leg the excess speed was overpowering the servos, upwind and reduced speed on the downwind leg caused no problems, I installed a larger servo on the elevator and did not have any problems, as an afterthought it was way to windy for a test flight, but we all know what temptation can make us do ! I forgot to mention that I have made a removable hatch on the top of the fus.it goes from just in front of the canopy to just behind the canopy, it makes fitting and changing the battery much easier and gives access to the radio, speed controller etc. any one want photos send me your mobile no. and i will send.

Cliff 195930/10/2019 10:18:26
525 forum posts
77 photos
Posted by Geoff Parkes on 30/10/2019 09:00:11:

David, we flew the plane yesterday in approx.20 mph plus winds, so there was an appreciable speed difference going into wind and with the wind behind the plane, at a guess it was 50% faster with the wind behind the plane, this being so there was more wind pressure on the ailerons - the aileron servos are only small because they project from the underside of the fuselage and they dont develop much power, we think on the downwind leg the excess speed was overpowering the servos, upwind and reduced speed on the downwind leg caused no problems, I installed a larger servo on the elevator and did not have any problems, as an afterthought it was way to windy for a test flight, but we all know what temptation can make us do ! I forgot to mention that I have made a removable hatch on the top of the fus.it goes from just in front of the canopy to just behind the canopy, it makes fitting and changing the battery much easier and gives access to the radio, speed controller etc. any one want photos send me your mobile no. and i will send.

Surely the faster downwind leg was ground speed, the air going over the wings is the same speed?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!