New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Ballinger29/11/2019 11:30:24
774 forum posts
282 photos

Dave,

Can’t beat a bit of bling !
just cutting out the bits for my gnat. Sounds like we will eventually have more model gnats flying than the RAF ever had.

Was worried about orientation problems with a single colour be red or yellow so decided on the gnat that went to RAE Bedford experimental flight which has large parts of blue underneath . I ordered my two pilots then realised the Bedford gnat was converted to a single seat! Keeping the two seats though so my will have to be from its transition phase ; must have had one I reckon.

Tim

Dave Chatterton29/11/2019 12:34:05
50 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Tim

sounds like you’ve got it all sorted. Did you read my post about fitting the wing in two halves as I found the easier.
regards Dave

Dave Chatterton29/11/2019 12:40:06
50 forum posts
5 photos

Tim

i fitted the anhedral brace to one wing half and then sanded the root of the othe half to account for the anhedral then slid the half with the brace attached into the fus and then added epoxy the the other half and slid into place. Hope that makes sense.

Dave

Tim Ballinger03/12/2019 12:51:58
774 forum posts
282 photos

Thanks Dave,

yes I saw your alternative . I have not joined my wing halves yet so will see which looks best when I get the fuselage together. I have been deliberately dragging my feet waiting for the fan to arrive from Banggood, which it did today. Looks really nice. I note the fan LE ring is not firmly attached to the fan duct. Is that normal? Looks like a drop of cyno is needed. Is that what others have done ?

Tim

Ray Wood 403/12/2019 15:23:22
201 forum posts
44 photos

Hi Tim,

Yes that's what I did with Cyano, and used a hot glue gun for the first time to install the fan, go easy when put the second part of the bulkhead in as the fan shroud distorts easily

Regards Ray

Tim Ballinger03/12/2019 16:58:18
774 forum posts
282 photos

My first time with a hot glue gun as well, seems to be the goto tool I’ve never found a need for before!

Tim

Tim Ballinger04/12/2019 09:34:07
774 forum posts
282 photos

Fan installation went well as did the acetate jet pipe. I did find that a piece of foam pipe insulation was exactly the right size for holding the acetate tube tight against the inside of the former thereby leaving two hands free to apply tape and glue.

1cba9d8b-1a40-4ad5-a8f8-c2d76ba91ebc.jpeg

David P Williams04/12/2019 11:24:38
901 forum posts
309 photos

Good tip with the pipe insulation Tim. Bit of a three-handed job isn't it?

Steve Jones 204/12/2019 12:07:36
562 forum posts
400 photos

Something to think about chaps for the elevators.. they are only held by the outer 3mm sheeting at the back of the intake duct and I thought it was a little weak for vertical bending.

I added some extra reinforcement strips the inner fuse as shown in Tims pic. This allowed me to glue the root of the elevators to something..

I used hot glue on the fan of my Provost but it broke free on the maiden as a blade shed !! I re-glued with epoxy after roughing the fan cowl. On my Gnat I epoxyed from the start (its not coming out !!) and if i have a fan motor issue i can remove them and leave cowl in place..

Tim Ballinger04/12/2019 12:53:55
774 forum posts
282 photos

Test run the EDF. Certainly makes a potent desk fan!

Thanks for the thoughts Steve, I’ll certainly have a look at the tailplane mounting. I must admit I used more than the recommended number of blobs of hot glue to hold the fan in so I’m fairly confident it will stay in place🤞
Tim

alan barnstable04/12/2019 13:03:44
16 forum posts
2 photos

I initially only glued the motor in with a few blobs of hot glue and it broke loose after a hard landing. I have now glued it in more comprehensively.

Tim Ballinger04/12/2019 13:11:22
774 forum posts
282 photos

Perhaps even a few more blobs then......

Tim

Tim Ballinger04/12/2019 14:07:39
774 forum posts
282 photos

Steve,

see what you mean about the tailplane attachment relying on the intake skin . Got to be careful not to build a battleship but I think you are right, it is probably worth an extra gram of balsa each side.

Tim

Dave Chatterton04/12/2019 14:35:33
50 forum posts
5 photos

Hi guys. Just thought that I would let you know that I used mirror ply for the tube and therefore had more glueing area . Dave

Tim Ballinger04/12/2019 15:04:47
774 forum posts
282 photos

A handy byproduct of changing from the acetate Dave. I still have the cut outs from the inner fuselage sides which provide a handy template to insert an inner tailplane seat so I’ll just trim a piece out of those for each side.

Tim

Steve Jones 206/12/2019 13:31:33
562 forum posts
400 photos

Yes Tim,

If I build another... really would like to do the Red Arrows version before they changed to Hawks.. then I would not cut such a large rear hole in the inner fuselage sides - using this as the inner elevator mount. There is no air flow there and the additional wood weight would be insignificant.

Steve

Tim Ballinger06/12/2019 16:34:32
774 forum posts
282 photos

Steve,

here’s what I did. I left a gap so I could still key in with the triangular section at the top. Bit more of a jigsaw but it seemed to finish up the same.

1628a9c1-2fd3-4797-a810-874e73fd39dd.jpeg

9b9ccd59-2c6c-474e-b76b-f7f79cc3d03c.jpeg

Steve Nash 109/12/2019 21:18:58
48 forum posts
11 photos

Anyone weighed their Jet Provosts yet?

tried maiden flight at the weekend but seemed a little heavy. My hand launcher didn't quite give it enough oomph and it didn't fly off, just settled onto the grass.

have done bit of work to it to try and lighten it. I've cut some lightening holes in the underside rear fuselage and changed a few things. I've taken out about 1.5 oz.

mine now weighs in at 26.5 oz with a 2200 lipo but needs additional 1.3 - 1.5 oz of lead in the nose to achieve the C of G, making a total of just under 28 oz. I might try a 2700 lipo as that should come out the same but no lead needed. This time I will make sure lipo is at room temp to make sure it gives proper power.

if I was to build another I would cut lightening holes all round the rear fuselage and also the tailplane and fin. None of this would be seen after covering and would help take away a bit of the tail heavyness.

any thoughts ?

Steve Jones 210/12/2019 12:18:52
562 forum posts
400 photos

Hi Tim,

Looks better and the elevator would be in double shear... curious you have left the top right corner open as the hinge line is at the rear so I would have made the triangle go the other way - I am sure it will be fine though

Steve, Not sure on the weight of my Provost with its 2200. Will measure tonight and post.. It does need a hefty shove to launch, a coupe of times in low wind it failed to get away and belly flopped.. The Gnat on the other had goes away like a missile ..... Will check its weight and maybe its a less draggy frontal area.. It needs much less power to cruise too.

Steve

Tim Ballinger10/12/2019 14:00:48
774 forum posts
282 photos

Steve,

I did to start with then decided I wanted the Triangular fillet to locate the rear intake side securely. seems solid and the half’s fitted squarely without any fettling.

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!