Forum sponsored by CML

Sticky throttle

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MattyB15/04/2019 14:21:24
1910 forum posts
29 photos

Posted by IanR on 15/04/2019 13:47:42:

Would it be possible to cut the throttle by flicking a switch 3 times making it go through zero 3 times within, say, 1 second, or so - similar to the way in which the self-test is initiated with the S6R and S8R?

This would not be too onerous when cutting the throttle on purpose but would be unlikely to happen accidentally whilst flying or any other time.

I take the point about accidentally knocking the switch whilst flying. I am using switch SF as the sticky throttle cut switch but have reversed it so that when towards me the throttle is off and when away from me it is on. This maintains a larger gap between it and the adjacent SE switch so that my fat fingers are less likely to inadvertently cut the throttle. Also, when putting the TX down on its back, the switch is already in the "towards me" position and the throttle is off. If it was the other way round, then putting the TX down on its back might inadvertently flick the switch and enable the throttle.

However, I still think the 3-way flick would be the ultimate safe way of not accidentally cutting the throttle.

Anybody know how to do this?

See my post about an unknockable safety switches earlier in the thread - that is essentially a variant on what you are are suggesting. I'm certain you could achieve what you are looking for using delays and nested ANDs, but it would probably take more logical switches...

Posted by MattyB on 14/04/2019 13:28:41:

...PS - I actually designed an “unknockable” safety switch for my Dad’s IC models that addresses your concerns with the sticky throttle cut. It uses a three position switch and requires a sequence of movements that include a change of direction within a given timeframe in order to activate and deactivate between two states (for instance ignition off and ignition on).

It’s more complex to setup but works very nicely - downloadable example and documentation here.

Edited By MattyB on 15/04/2019 14:25:35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us