Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Handley Page Heyford.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Barclay15/04/2019 13:23:14
19 forum posts
13 photos

My next build will be 66" Handley Page Heyford in Depron. Modified plan scaled up from Aerofred. I am wondering if anyone has experience of building this design.

The wing incidence shown on the plans is 5 degrees relative to the horizonal stabilize. As this is to be stand off scale I am more concerned with flight characteristics than true scale. My previous bi-plane builds are SE5A and DH2, both of which flew very well with 1 1/2 degrees.

What do forum members think? Thanks in advance. Mike.

J D 815/04/2019 16:41:39
1058 forum posts
65 photos

Seen a H P Heyford on the youtube. Electric built by Alexander Meek.

Michael Barclay16/04/2019 22:57:35
19 forum posts
13 photos

Yes. I have seen the one built by Alexander.

Keith Simmons17/04/2019 07:12:10
443 forum posts
6 photos

I think the idea of 5 degs is for ground clearance for that model, as you don't want to have the lower wingtip touch the ground during take off and landing causing a ground loop and having possible damage as a result due to a wind gust. It will give more stability for the flight.

J D 817/04/2019 08:47:15
1058 forum posts
65 photos

Five degrees does seem a lot but may well be right for a depron model ment to fly slowly without sticking it's nose up in the air.

Michael Barclay17/04/2019 09:58:05
19 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Keith Simmons on 17/04/2019 07:12:10:

I think the idea of 5 degs is for ground clearance for that model, as you don't want to have the lower wingtip touch the ground during take off and landing causing a ground loop and having possible damage as a result due to a wind gust. It will give more stability for the flight.

Hi Keith. Thanks for your reply but I was refering to incidence not dihedral. The 5 degrees dihedral will not be altered but I am considering reducing the 5 deg incidence as I read that most biplanes fly better with around 2 degrees.

Michael Barclay17/04/2019 10:00:28
19 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by J D 8 on 17/04/2019 08:47:15:

Five degrees does seem a lot but may well be right for a depron model ment to fly slowly without sticking it's nose up in the air.

Hi JD. Thanks for your input. Will keep that in mind when making the final decision on the incidence.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us