Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

World Models Cub Rebuild

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Freeman 316/04/2019 06:16:51
194 forum posts
264 photos

I was given 2 1/3 Cub airframes that were in very bad condition. I was told that I must throw them away if not usable. I started stripping the covering of the worst aiframe and found that it had never been flown. The Cubs had been used by a companny a numer of years ago to assist with anti Rhino poaching operations. They were used in a very humid area tht affected the wood and glue joints. The plastic covering was stripped off and the wooden structure was painted with a 2k paint. The structures had been badly sanded and then covered with a fabric which was also badly done. I needed a large airframe to test motors and I had quite a lot of covering which is like Sig coverall that needed to be tested so this was a good oppotunity. I am also a person who does not like to throw airframes away and enjoy bringing them back to life.cub fuselage.jpgcub left wing.jpgcub tail surfaces.jpgcub wing.jpg

Dwain Dibley.16/04/2019 16:51:26
1265 forum posts
1254 photos

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out Chris.

D.D.

Chris Freeman 330/04/2019 06:39:22
194 forum posts
264 photos

When I started on the airframe I made a number of changes to make it a little more Piper Cub like! The ailerons were made shorter, the tips repositioned as they were too high, shaped the fuselage wing mount and made new tailsurfaces as the originals were very badly sanded. The covering was a lot of work as this is a large aircraft, the covering tends to frye when it is cut so I used a combination of dope and meduim cyno on the edges then cut the covering. the cyno is rubbed through with the finger tips and gives a strong edge that can be sanded. Many coats of dope later (Nitrate Dope) the covering was nice and taught and seemed to be filled. Dummy rib stitch was done with cotton thread glued to paper then cut too the width required. The tapes are just torn Solartex as we do not have any local supplies for pinked tapes. The Silver is a fullsize aircraft product that gives the covering a good uniform color and UV protection. It is also very good for adheasion. The white paint is a 2k paint and covers very well. Spraying was done outside so it was not the best finish as it was windy and rain was also a problem. Takes a lot of time to spray this size airframe.wm10.jpg wm12.jpg

Chris Freeman 330/04/2019 06:40:38
194 forum posts
264 photos

More pictureswmc2.jpgwm13.jpgwm14.jpg

Piers Bowlan30/04/2019 06:59:38
1772 forum posts
42 photos

Wow, she is a big girl! Nice work Chris, how did you do the rib stitching as I can't make out what the red stuff is? Where did you get the Ceconite covering from by the way, if that is what you used?

Chris Freeman 330/04/2019 09:58:14
194 forum posts
264 photos

The Covering is made by a local company in South Africa and is called Loomstrate for the micro light industry. You can only get it in 20 meter rolls and it is 1.5 meters wide so it is a lot of covering. I got half a roll from a mate who bought a roll to split amongst his mates. THe rib tapes are just torn Solartex, if you nick an end you can tear the covering quite easily. I tend to use my bits of rolls left as it is surprising how much covering is actually used. The red covering is actually about 20 years old, survived a house burning down and then was left outside in the rain and sonwm1.jpg for 2 weeks and still works well but smells a bit off when heated! This is what a torn tape looks like compared to a laser cut tape to 1/3 scale and tex cut with pinking sissors

wm6.jpgwm7.jpg

Chris Freeman 306/05/2019 05:35:06
194 forum posts
264 photos

My son and I sprayed the red and are quite happy with the results. Masking off the airframe was very time consuming with lots of masks, newspaper, tape and patience was used. Having 2 to do the work does make it a lot easier and having my son 6 houses down the road is great.wm15.jpgwm18.jpgwm17.jpg

Percy Verance06/05/2019 07:48:09
8103 forum posts
155 photos

A nice tidy job there Chris. You obviously put quite a bit of work into the preparation and it appears to have paid off. It's unfortunate that Solartex is no longer available now that production has ceased here in the UK. Mick Reeves used to sell pre cut rib tapes in several scales, which made life a little easier... I did once see some rib tapes from a US based supplier, and these had stitching already in place. Stupidy I didn't bookmark the site, and I've not been able to find it since!

Keep up the good work Chris. You've saved an airframe from landfill there......

Nice colour scheme by the way Chris. It actually takes me back 20 years or more, when I flew a Cub in a Swiss scheme similar to yours at our Scale Weekend at Old Warden.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/05/2019 07:50:59

Chris Freeman 313/05/2019 09:24:14
194 forum posts
264 photos

We did the test flight yesterday and I am very happy with the way it flew. We had 2 flights and nothing fell off so it was good. The motor is a ST 45 cc and I am very impressed by the power and reliability, this motor will be used in a composite 1/5 Mustang that is being built as a prototype.

Takeoffs are at 1/2 throttle, not sure how a 80cc motor is recommended, some even use larger motors and prop hang the poor aircraft.. Landings are gentle but it floats a lot further than expected.wc7.jpg wc8.jpgwc1.jpg

Braddock, VC13/05/2019 10:13:38
1600 forum posts
68 photos

I just love cubs, don't know if I could get one this size past her indoors, she threw a wobbly when I brought my 1/4 scale clipped wing one in.

I've run out of white solartex and still have to cover the tail feathers and ailerons, cleft stick catching me here.

sad

Dwain Dibley.13/05/2019 10:23:32
1265 forum posts
1254 photos

Outstanding result Chris, what a beauty...

Congrats on a great job...

D.D.

Braddock, I am going with Oratex as a direct replacement for Solartex. If you are interested I will let you know how close it is.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us