By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Where can I buy Profilm (Oracover) by the metre?

I'll only be using half a metre off a standard 2mtr roll!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Freeman26/04/2019 07:38:18
83 forum posts
60 photos

Hi All,

I'm building a little model which I fancy dressing in three shades of blue Profilm. I have one shade and need to buy the other two. The thing is, I only need a small amount and two standard 2 metre rolls would be a very expensive proposition!!

My local model shop used to sell Profilm by the metre off a 10mtr roll but they have sadly closed down.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells Profilm by the metre?

Many thanks,

Mike

Attilio Rausse26/04/2019 08:03:36
106 forum posts

Leeds Model Shopsmiley

Mike Freeman26/04/2019 08:21:01
83 forum posts
60 photos

Thanks Attilio,

Looking at their website they only list the standard 2 mtr rolls. I'll give them a call later and find out.  I'm hoping to find someone who will mail cut lengths.  I live in Oxfordshire and Leeds is a bit far! 

Cheers,

Mike

Edited By Mike Freeman on 26/04/2019 08:23:27

Paul C.26/04/2019 08:31:30
609 forum posts
150 photos

Hi mike , not profilm but I get all of my film covering from Rapid models. I find it better than profilm and solarfilm, service for Rapid has always been great for me it comes in various lengths you just select between 1 and 5 meters. Worth taking a look for future reference 👍

Paul.

Gordon Tarling26/04/2019 09:06:43
235 forum posts
4 photos

Try West London Models, near Heathrow.

Alan Gorham_26/04/2019 09:16:40
1149 forum posts
133 photos

BalsaMart (The old Blackburn Models that was...) definitely sell Oracover by the metre. I have bought it that way from them many times and the mail order service is second to none.

**LINK**

Mike Freeman26/04/2019 13:59:45
83 forum posts
60 photos

Thanks all,

Sorry for the late reply - the day job inconveniently got in the way!!

The Rapid Models stuff looks interesting but it is a fraction of the Profilm prices surprise is it really as good? I find Profilm very easy to use and if the Rapid Models stuff is as good (both in quality and application) it is certainly worth considering.

West London Models do, indeed, sell it by the metre and have a good selection.

Unfortunately, BalsaMart don't have the colours I'm after.

That's brilliant thanks!! WLM are favourite at the moment while I contemplate The Rapid Models stuff!

Many thanks,

Mike

Paul C.26/04/2019 16:01:16
609 forum posts
150 photos

Hi Mike, I believe that the film Rapid models sell is the same stuff that comes from Hobby King I find that it lies the covering iron just a little warmer than solarfilm and on some colours the adhesive 'bleeds' a little but a quick wipe with meths on a cloth and it's gone. I have covered about 4 ic models using this and all have remained in good condition, for the price it might be worth getting a meter and giving it a try to see how you get on with it.

The CAP 20 in my post was covered in this film all was well until a close encounter with a tree 😨

Paul.

Bruce Collinson26/04/2019 16:10:39
451 forum posts

I very occasionally swing by Modelshop Leeds and when I last wanted a metre of Oralcover I was advised that it’s now by the 2m roll. 2 or 3;weeks ago.

It gave me an excuse to rant and abuse the Andys before they did it to me.

Andrew Hardman still has lots of different films, some seconds and accessories from Solarfilm, top of Google.

BTC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us