Deafness needs light, not buzzer!

transmitter mod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Den Moran26/04/2019 13:09:34
136 forum posts
18 photos

Hi,everyone.

As my hearing gets worse, I find I cannot hear the buzzer on my transmitter, unless conditions are absolutely perfect, so I would like to fit an Led light (connected to the buzzer) on the outside of my transmitter.

I'm ok with the soldering etc, and the polarity, but would like someone to tell me the correct wiring/diagram.

I suspect its a straightforward 'loop'with the bulb in the middle, but not all sure! Cheers, Den, Swansea.

Kevin Wilson26/04/2019 13:37:10
383 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Den. I wonder if the circuit in your tx would power a little pager motor to give haptic feedback (tx shaker).

SR 7126/04/2019 14:15:37
265 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Den, im totally deaf and only hear a little when I have my bionics in, I use the vibration function on my tx, dose youuurs have that function

Tony

Geoff Sleath26/04/2019 14:21:26
3239 forum posts
247 photos

I'm also fairly deaf but I can hear the voice messages (mostly time counts) on my Frsky Horus if the sound is turned up. However, if the messages are loud enough to irritate other pilots (I'm lucky enough to be able to have the sky to myself when there are only a few at the field) I carry a set of earphones. That might be a better solution than a light of some sort (which may be difficult to see in bright light). I'm also not keen on looking away from my model to see my transmitter display - I've occasionally had a minor panic when looking back and not immediately being able to see it.

Geoff

RC Plane Flyer26/04/2019 14:22:37
588 forum posts
22 photos

Would it be worth a call to Mike Ridley workshop for advise or even a mod ?? Seen picturesure on web pages on what he has done for others

Denis Watkins26/04/2019 14:39:24
3600 forum posts
166 photos

Neat fitting LEDs are available Den, in their own housing, or use an LED clip in your Tx, you drill the hole

They are the usual red and black wiring, to the same polarity as the buzzer to the board

They draw very little current, in the order of 20ma

If the polarity is not marked on the LED by the flat spot on the base

Then look through the Led, and the Pendant shaped inside is the minus

A protective resistor is required sorted using VI / R

Tom Sharp 226/04/2019 23:15:52
3352 forum posts
17 photos

I am very deaf and I have found the vibrating alarm on two of my transmitters to be invaluable. If you do not have this feature seeking a modification would be well worth it.

On the lighter side of being deaf, I somehow rarely miss people asking if they can buy me a drink at club meetings.

PatMc26/04/2019 23:25:29
4126 forum posts
518 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/04/2019 23:15:52:

On the lighter side of being deaf, I somehow rarely miss people asking if they can buy me a drink at club meetings.

How do you know ? wink 2

Den Moran27/04/2019 09:27:11
136 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks , everyone. I thought someone would know how to do it, is all.

Den, I have/know those points/fittings, and thank you for that. The only bit I didn't know was ' A protective resistor is required sorted VI/R' ? Cheers , Den.

Deafness - Good point is I cannot hear people calling me names!

Brian Hammond28/04/2019 16:33:45
275 forum posts

Hi Den, being a bit mutton myself I use a Spectrum DX6 which has an earphone socket and this nice young lady speaks to me but nobody else can hear her,invaluable.

Frank Skilbeck28/04/2019 19:02:38
4360 forum posts
101 photos

Not sure where you plan to position the warning LED, my Multiplex Profi transmitter has a series of warning LED lights (triggered by various telemetry sensors etc) just above the sticks. I have never noticed them in flight, easy to see when I look down at the Tx, but they don't attract my attention when flying. A vibration alarm would be better in my opinion if you want something that grabs your immediate attention. (or maybe a mild electric shock through the sticks.......................)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us