By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

CAA registration consulation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Christy27/04/2019 16:31:19
1583 forum posts

John: Whilst I agree that this is probably inevitable, I don't agree with just rolling over and giving up. We need to make our displeasure clear to those in authority.

My local MP will almost certainly lose her seat at the next election. She knows that she will need every vote she can scrape if she wishes to continue. If everyone in our club (and neighbouring ones) who is within her constituency writes to her, it will give her some incentive to do something.

In view of the parlous state of British politics at the moment, I suspect quite a lot of MPs are feeling the heat. Enough letters from irate modellers *might* just provoke some of them to action. You never know......

--

Pete

Steve J27/04/2019 16:46:27
1576 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 27/04/2019 16:20:27:

Now for the serious stuff...Who's gonna monitor this within clubs ? Those dreadful over officious committee men, in their yellow vests with anti fun police written large on the back ? and how long before it's all the fault of the BMFA.

The CAA have chosen not to involve the BMFA in the registration scheme (IMHO this is a good thing, I don't think that the BMFA should be a tax collector). BMFA clubs should return the favour. Other than making sure that their members are aware of ANO articles 94C,D,E&F they should do nothing.

Steve

Percy Verance27/04/2019 16:49:02
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I'm seriously considering changing my surname to Google. I shan't pay as much tax then.......

john stones 127/04/2019 16:54:09
10710 forum posts
1480 photos
Posted by Steve J on 27/04/2019 16:46:27:
Posted by john stones 1 on 27/04/2019 16:20:27:

Now for the serious stuff...Who's gonna monitor this within clubs ? Those dreadful over officious committee men, in their yellow vests with anti fun police written large on the back ? and how long before it's all the fault of the BMFA.

The CAA have chosen not to involve the BMFA in the registration scheme (IMHO this is a good thing, I don't think that the BMFA should be a tax collector). BMFA clubs should return the favour. Other than making sure that their members are aware of ANO articles 94C,D,E&F they should do nothing.

Steve

I was referring to the undoubted comments to come, over who will ensure people comply within the clubs Steve. And who will ensure people know about ANO this that n the tother, as you know no one reads the BMFA news. wink

john stones 127/04/2019 16:57:15
10710 forum posts
1480 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 27/04/2019 16:31:19:

John: Whilst I agree that this is probably inevitable, I don't agree with just rolling over and giving up. We need to make our displeasure clear to those in authority.

My local MP will almost certainly lose her seat at the next election. She knows that she will need every vote she can scrape if she wishes to continue. If everyone in our club (and neighbouring ones) who is within her constituency writes to her, it will give her some incentive to do something.

In view of the parlous state of British politics at the moment, I suspect quite a lot of MPs are feeling the heat. Enough letters from irate modellers *might* just provoke some of them to action. You never know......

--

Pete

I won't roll over Pete, I'll make my voice heard and hope it helps.

Capt Kremen27/04/2019 17:57:33
300 forum posts
83 photos

Having completed the CAA consultation document feedback, I observe they are focused solely on how the scheme will operate, charges and covering their costs. They have no regard (or interest) to matters of flight safety and our opinions on how to improve it.

I have no problem with having, for example my BMFA membership number being applied to any of my models should it/my actions result in the model aircraft infringing Gatwick R/W26 and the authorities need to trace me.

Quite a few of our community do not have familiarity or use of IT so how do they conducts their tests?

Echoing many previous comments, the proposals do absolutely nothing to further flight safety of persons, property or aircraft on the ground or in the air. The CAA has very limited resources to enforce existing aviation legislation as is. However, putting this piece of an ever expanding legal jigsaw in place, assists ensuring conviction if anyone is caught and likely invalidate our model insurance if they are not registered.

Oh and I expect to see a grinning, self satisfied Minister/MP (All Parties), stood in front of a TV reporter crowing how stringent measures have now been introduced to curb the menace of rogue 'drone' operations stopping your holiday flight.

Enjoy your flying folks!

paul coleman 127/04/2019 18:22:26
117 forum posts

Totally agree capt Kremen,i used to work in the construction industry,masses of H+S Legislation,but yet,theres one death a week in the industry,or used to be,maybe more or less now.needless to say,the way things are going,and reading earlier comments,peolple will eventually leave the hobby,adding to the fact these idiots flying drones,dont give a dam,and ruining it for all of us who pay our way honestly,and fly safely.

paul coleman 127/04/2019 18:23:57
117 forum posts

They should of banned them like they were going to,we all saw this coming!

john stones 127/04/2019 18:35:19
10710 forum posts
1480 photos
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 27/04/2019 18:23:57:

They should of banned them like they were going to,we all saw this coming!

Banned who and what ? and how Paul ?

Jonathan W27/04/2019 18:57:16
103 forum posts
11 photos

Sooooo...... What about cyclists? How many accidents involve bicylces and how much crime is committed by untraceable people on bicycles? Quite a lot more mayhem in total caused by errant cyclists I should think than caused by "drones". But how many cyclists are registered and insured?

Not that I have anything particular against cyclists, as I do ride one myself. The point is surely valid though.

Edited By Jonathan W on 27/04/2019 18:57:57

Peter Miller27/04/2019 19:02:11
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

Alittle while ago a microlight (Probably a Eurofox) was seen toand on our strip turn round and take off. The observer did not get the registration.

I phoned the CAA the next day and once I had exlained that it was obviously not an forced landing they basically lost interest.

I have since heard of a similar event when one landed and took off from a field headland.

I wonder would any action have been taken if I could have provided a registration. Somehow I get the feeling that they would not have bothered.

paul coleman 127/04/2019 19:21:41
117 forum posts

Drones were going to be banned,according to the news headlines,when these incidents occured at airports etc.

paul coleman 127/04/2019 19:27:59
117 forum posts

Good point regarding cyclists jonathan,totally agree there,they are another pain at times lol!!

john stones 127/04/2019 19:29:50
10710 forum posts
1480 photos

Maybe I missed that, only seen talk of bans on forums, registering and tightening up on law and regulations is all I recall.

paul coleman 127/04/2019 19:30:18
117 forum posts

My local model shop in leeds,well,you wont see a drone hung up in there thats what they think of them,and the shops been established 60 odd years.

john stones 127/04/2019 19:53:49
10710 forum posts
1480 photos

Spent a few quid in leeds shop, I'm from Donny, we'll survive.

Steve J27/04/2019 20:01:10
1576 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 27/04/2019 19:21:41:

Drones were going to be banned,according to the news headlines,when these incidents occured at airports etc.

No they weren't. The only thing that has happened because of Gatwick is that the airports have brought forward plans to install UAV detection and tracking systems, e.g. Blighter AUDS at Gatwick.

Steve

paul coleman 127/04/2019 20:08:18
117 forum posts

Well steve,lets hope the tracking systems work then,and nothing keeps coming back on us.

Martin Harris27/04/2019 20:23:56
8881 forum posts
221 photos

I've just completed the consultation and although queries have been raised over the question about whether you own a drone have been raised, to me it's clear that for the majority of us, the answer is "No" as a previous section clearly differentiates between drones and model aircraft.

Please select one option to cover your main interest.

(Required)

For what it's worth, I've made the following comments which might be of use for discussion within the forum and possible consideration by others completing a response:

Registration is unlikely to be reflected in any safety improvement as the users causing problems will fail to comply. Charges for this service are an additional and unnecessary burden on those who are likely to be responsible operators, mostly operating under a controlled club structure.

If airline operators feel that there would be a benefit to their customers (profits) then they should pay a levy for the administration costs of any registration system. Existing and new members of model flying organisations e.g. BMFA, LMA, SAA and FPVUK are already registered with full contact details and have membership numbers which could be imported to any system at minimal cost.

Registration is unlikely to be reflected in any safety improvement as the users causing problems will fail to comply. There should be a minimal or zero charge for members of recognised organisations as they are effectively already registered. Charges for this service are an additional and unnecessary burden on those who are likely to be responsible operators, mostly operating under a controlled club structure. The cost and complication of registration is likely to deter some existing members from continuing in the hobby which will further reduce the potential pool of registrants.

john stones 127/04/2019 20:50:23
10710 forum posts
1480 photos

Good post Martin. yes

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us