By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hammer F3 build (another another) - glider newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor06/09/2019 14:26:14
522 forum posts
61 photos

Hello Mike,

Extension connectors buried in the wing normally have some sort of strain relief such as a piece of thread tied round them end to end or a commercial locking clip. With your method of joining the wires without the housings it’s hard to see how you could do that. It should be okay as long as you can be sure the wires aren’t going to be pulled or snatched during the rigging or de-rigging process.

With regard to the orientation of the flap servos, it is conventional to install them in mirror image fashion. This can make it easier when programming coupled aileron to flap (to improve roll response). However, if you don’t plan to do this and want to save a receiver channel by Y-leading the servos, then by all means flip one of them.

Cheers,

Trevor

Mike Chantler25/12/2019 21:46:56
17 forum posts

Mike

Just spotted this thread,

I love these models. I've had a hammer for about 3 years now and it's always the one I take up the slope as it flies in such a wide range of wind conditions - from 5-10 mph up to 35. Good to fit a ballast tube though as they are such light models.

I use same servos as you in wings with M2 threaded rod with plastic clevis on both ends (I find that I can't seem to fit z-bend arrangement without getting a bit of slop in the linkage).

Happy building.

Mike C

MikeQ02/01/2020 21:34:01
128 forum posts
100 photos

Hello

That's for the info MikeC. Just coming back to the Hammer after I got distracted on another project. I had planned to cover in glass and spray. However, I'm now thinking of just varnishing and spraying the tips etc. What product would you guys recommend by way of varnish. Some kind of 2K floor polish?

Bit non-plused on the ballast tube as well.  I've seen some good threads covering this so will probably just copy same.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 02/01/2020 21:35:02

MikeQ09/02/2020 14:12:03
128 forum posts
100 photos

HellO 

making slow progress on this one but hopefully should pick up now I've got other projects out of the way. Looking at rolling my own ballast tube as I have carbon cloth and skinning resin.

How much ballast makes sens on a model like this? Never used it before apart from a couple of chunks of lead bolted internally in my Obelixs when really windy. I'm guessing 250g-750g but that's a total punt based on reading various threads. My calculations show that a 22mm diameter copper tube at 24 cm long would give around 1kg of ballast. I intend to fill the copper pipe with molten lead and cut into sensible sized chunks.

Next question ... what's the best way to mount the tube along the length of the fuselage. Seems a bit 'lightweight' to just epoxy it to the floor of the fuselage ... but maybe that's OK? I'm guessing the tube will need to be longer at the front to reach the slide on nose section where I can load the 'spacers' and slugs as needed.

Cheers

mike

PS pic shows one I didn't get too far with before working out I'd made an ar@e of calculating the length 

img_1192.jpg

Edited By MikeQ on 09/02/2020 14:15:52

MikeQ24/10/2020 11:24:22
128 forum posts
100 photos

img_1732.jpgHello

picked up on my Hammer build. Started glassing wings with 20g glass, West Systems laminating resin and peel ply. Lack of forward planning though ... how am I going to handle glassing the top of the panels what with the live hinges. Any ideas or anyone done this before?

Cheers

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 24/10/2020 11:26:29

Edited By MikeQ on 24/10/2020 11:26:54

Mike T24/10/2020 15:12:46
582 forum posts
41 photos

Ideas only, I'm afraid, as I varnished my wings.

The hinge is under the veneer, so I think scoring through your laminate on the hinge line down to the veneer surface should free the control surfaces off nicely. However, I would try flexing them before cutting, to see how freely they move before scoring, and then only score as necessary.

Mike T24/10/2020 17:56:16
582 forum posts
41 photos

Re your question about the ballast tube - I assume you've sorted this now?! I epoxied mine to the fus. floor, straddling the nominal CG position. It's held in place with epoxied 1/4" liteply formers. I used 25mm alloy aerial tube from B&Q. The ballast slugs are lead in 22mm copper jackets (a.k.a. hot water plumbing!). Pics:

pict0400 (4).jpg

pict0405 (2).jpg

pict0407.jpg

pict0403 (2).jpg

pict0590.jpg

I finished it back in '17. Still hasn't flown... sad

Mike Chantler24/10/2020 22:25:28
17 forum posts

I just varnished mine as well. I had to free up the hinges a bit to get the travel I wanted. Quite easy but you have to be very patient & careful otherwise you can put a score across the wing :O. I used 3 coats Eze-Kote.

I'd experiment with the West/glass combo on scrap balsa first to see how easy it is to score through - I remember it being quite tough, but I think mine was 10 years old and had thickened up a bit. You should be able to get through 20g glass quite easily as long as you use minimum epoxy i.e. about the same weight as the glass or a little over. I have put 25g glass on with Eze-Kote on a PSS model - works well but not as tough as epoxy. I'm pretty confident (gulp, I think!) that I will get be able to score through the glass/veneer & down to the kevlar hinge - but Easy-Kote goes on really thin.

I left the wings natural, but added sign-writers vinyl for orientation.

Mike Chantler24/10/2020 22:39:09
17 forum posts

I used a very similar ballast tube to MikeT. But mine can't take as much weight. It uses 20mm conduit which will take 520g - this is enough for mine, but I was focussing on a very light model. It will easily outfly most other slopers in light wind and in 10 mph will go up fast. However, as you'd expect it's slower than a mouldie and so will not roll as fast as a 2.5m Blade for instance.

PS make sure you get rid of the release agent from the inside of the fus. otherwise the ballast will free itself on landing as mine did a while back.

Mike Chantler24/10/2020 22:40:14
17 forum posts

@MikeT - I like the slugs - very posh

Mike T25/10/2020 17:54:36
582 forum posts
41 photos

They were a fair bit uglier before I spun them up in the lathe

MikeQ28/10/2020 17:37:33
128 forum posts
100 photos

Hello

thanks for the feedback. I haven't sorted the ballast tube yet but I do have a plan ... which is pretty much what you've done with the bottom loader.

Ive got a plan for the glassing involving strips of sellotape and nerves of steel. Will update once it's all gone wrong.

cheers

mike

MikeQ28/10/2020 17:48:48
128 forum posts
100 photos

Hello

thanks for the feedback. I haven't sorted the ballast tube yet but I do have a plan ... which is pretty much what you've done with the bottom loader.

Ive got a plan for the glassing involving strips of sellotape and nerves of steel. Will update once it's all gone wrong.

cheers

mike

MikeQ28/10/2020 17:48:49
128 forum posts
100 photos

Hello

cheers

mike

Mike T28/10/2020 20:11:51
582 forum posts
41 photos

Hmmm. Those steely nerves seem to have developed a little tremor over the 'post' button cheeky

MikeQ28/10/2020 22:20:52
128 forum posts
100 photos

Think your right there

mike

MikeQ28/10/2020 22:21:21
128 forum posts
100 photos

Think your right there

Mike

Mike Chantler01/11/2020 08:08:03
17 forum posts

smiley

MikeQ29/11/2020 21:55:56
128 forum posts
100 photos

img_1765.jpgimg_1766.jpgHello, still got to get around to glassing top of wings. In the meantime have stolen a few idea s seen on other Hammer builds as above. Covered V-tail in tissue and dope today, will prime and spray that later on e mounted.

Swapped the snakes for carbon ones from Hyperflight. Will use ball links on Vtail end.

Test  fit thee cockpit areas today.

cheers

mike

img_1767.jpg

Edited By MikeQ on 29/11/2020 21:56:24

Edited By MikeQ on 29/11/2020 21:56:55

Edited By MikeQ on 29/11/2020 21:57:18

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!