Unknown Glider

Unknown Glider

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Davies 603/05/2019 16:05:22
5 forum posts
2 photos

Hi all

Picked up this glider in a sale the other day. Anyone got any idea of the make and model. Not got a clue.

Many thanks

Steve

Pete B - Moderator03/05/2019 18:14:17
7596 forum posts
732 photos

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum! Yiou should get some help here but a photo and description would be usefulsmile

Have a look here and here to find out how to put a photo up on your poststhumbs up

Pete

Stephen Davies 603/05/2019 19:37:29
5 forum posts
2 photos

Doh. Did it from my phone and must not have saved. Will try again. Might have to wait till I get to the computer. Sorry for that.

Steve

Piers Bowlan04/05/2019 09:02:58
1907 forum posts
50 photos

Welcome to the forum Stephen, good luck uploading your photos. I am sure you won't have to wait long to get it identified.

Stephen Davies 604/05/2019 16:08:24
5 forum posts
2 photos

Hi all

Trying again. Does anyone know the make and model of this glider? 2.3m span.

Cheers

Steve

unknown.jpeg

PatMc04/05/2019 18:52:28
4231 forum posts
521 photos

Hi Stephen, I don't know what model it is but it looks like it has a generic plastic (plura ?) fuselage & tail unit that's held from below with a pair of 2mm nuts.
There were a number of models based on the same fuselage, tail & plastic interior fittings etc dating from just before brushless motors & lipos became popular. There was also some with a slightly different moulded fuselage, AFAIK the difference was in the canopy/hatch area only.
The models varied in wing span from about 1.4m upwards, until now the greatest span I've come across has been 2m. Most were rudder/elevator/motor but a few also had ailerons.
J.Perkins were distributors for some of them, most common being the 2m REM Easy Pigeon.
A Belgian company Protech also produced a number of different thermal & warm liner gliders using the same base parts.

I still have Protech Unlimited & a thermal model using a spare Unlimited fuselage & tail with an old 2m wing nailed on. Both have been converted to outrunner & lipo.

refurbed unlimited.jpg

The Unlimited after a recover job.

igor in red.jpg

Igor, made up from spare Unlimited fus, tail unit & old pair of glider wings. (Terry Pratchett fans will understand the name)

PS looking again at your model I'm guessing that the tailplane has been stretched a bit in order to maintain a reasonable tail/wing area ratio.

Edited By PatMc on 04/05/2019 19:05:54

Jim Carss05/05/2019 09:53:26
2073 forum posts
82 photos

Nice one Pat yes

Stephen Davies 605/05/2019 13:06:29
5 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Pat

Yes definitely a generic type fuz and does have the tail and fin held on by those little nuts. I have had a few JP gliders in the past and it all very similar. The fuz on this one isn't so thick as the JP ones. It has more flex to it, similar to the Thunder Tiger EHawk 1400. Looking forward to getting it flying flat field mostly and hunt for those thermals.

Your gliders look great

Steve

Edited By Stephen Davies 6 on 05/05/2019 13:07:04

Peter Christy05/05/2019 17:50:56
1618 forum posts

Looks very much like my Alpha 180....

--

Pete

PatMc05/05/2019 18:19:36
4231 forum posts
521 photos

Pete, the Alpha 180 was one of many using that fuselage but it's fuselage had the same canopy cut away style as mine & it was only 1.8m span.
The actual canopies/hatches on mine are home made fibre glass replacements & have a slightly different shape to originals.

flying pastor05/05/2019 21:41:36
17 forum posts

I have been trawling my memory banks on this glider. As others have said there were several different models using the same, or similar fuselage, Alpha 180, easy pigeon and early bird. Some of these had a stretched wing version. Protech did the thermal 220 but that just had central dihedral but ripmax had one called the nebula which was 2.2 metres, the colour scheme is different though although this could have been recovered. This is the best I can do and my memory banks have now shut down!

All the best...Chris.

Stephen Davies 607/05/2019 07:57:41
5 forum posts
2 photos

Found it! Its a Robbe Volare. Also managed to find the manual on line. Drive chain arrived as well so will but thermal hunting in no time.

Thanks to everyone for all their help

Cheers

Steve

volare 1.jpg

Eagle 89907/05/2019 17:52:43
182 forum posts
18 photos

I thought that fuselage shape was familiar.

I've just dug out my Robbe Verso which I last flew in the mid eighties and now thinking that I might motorise it indecision

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us