Forum sponsored by CML

What is this maneuver called?

I want to do it! ( oooer missus)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuart Quinn-Harvie 106/05/2019 22:08:05
108 forum posts
81 photos

Evening all, I have seen a wonderful aerobatic thing performed by a funfly model. It was this:

Aeroplane slows down into wind until pretty much stationary relative to ground, then ( I think ) all horizontal control surfaces go up and the aeroplane descends vertically whilst parallel to ground until surfaces re centr, engine opens up and it flies off.

Anyone know what this is called and how it's done?

Cheers All.

Alan Gorham_06/05/2019 22:13:39
865 forum posts
95 photos

The manoeuvre is known as a harrier for self-explanatory reasons.

Nigel R06/05/2019 22:41:36
2923 forum posts
470 photos

Descending vertically, "elevator"

Harrier is slow flight forward, very slow, at around 30 to 45 deg pitch. Partially hanging on the prop.

You will require a cheap foamie 3d model to practice either with

Learning the 3d maneuver set is like learning to fly all over again.

Alan Gorham_06/05/2019 22:44:58
865 forum posts
95 photos

Haha well you can tell I can't fly 3D then!

Everyday a school day.

Nigel R06/05/2019 22:54:33
2923 forum posts
470 photos

Wasn't sure which Stuart meant.

They're essentially the same thing underneath... with throttle it goes forwards, with none it comes down.

Edited By Nigel R on 06/05/2019 22:54:57

John Duncker07/05/2019 00:02:04
79 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 06/05/2019 22:08:05:

Evening all, I have seen a wonderful aerobatic thing performed by a funfly model. It was this:

Aeroplane slows down into wind until pretty much stationary relative to ground, then ( I think ) all horizontal control surfaces go up and the aeroplane descends vertically whilst parallel to ground until surfaces re centr, engine opens up and it flies off.

Anyone know what this is called and how it's done?

Cheers All.

Coupling barndoor ailerons with elevator to give large amounts of up can give very odd behavior. Put it on as a switchable mix engage the mix at least 3 mistakes high and have a helper on hand to switch out the mix if you are engaged.

Stuart Quinn-Harvie 107/05/2019 00:04:14
108 forum posts
81 photos

ELEVATOR!! Thank you . I definitely didn't mean the Harrier - I know what one of those is Thanks Nigel. Cheap battered but flyable foamy 3d model in hand, waiting for Wednesday ( we can only fly Wed, Fri and Sun at our site. )

Yes it does look a lot of fun to learn. I wonder if it's a bit like learning to snowboard after learning to ski? ( They look the same but in many cases you have to do exactly the opposite to get the same result. This means you eat a lot of snow, and thus in this case, bend a lot of foam. Or need lots of new trousers)

Stuart Quinn-Harvie 107/05/2019 00:05:33
108 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks John, I just looked it up and it seems it can be done with just elevators and throttle (my memory is probably playing tricks on me )

Tom Sharp 207/05/2019 01:44:57
3425 forum posts
17 photos

I thought it was a parachute.

Nigel R07/05/2019 06:59:29
2923 forum posts
470 photos

Might well be. Lots of these maneuvers have more than one name (and often fairly silly names at that)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us