Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

DB Sport & Scale Sopwith Pup 60" ws

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath10/05/2019 17:52:28
3253 forum posts
247 photos

I've been eagerly awaiting this new kit to become available and received an email telling me they are now in stock. I've been a bit off modelling for a month or so but I'm hoping a new project will inspire me so I've ordered one.

I'll update this post once it arrives and report on its qualities. I'm a bit of DB S&S fan so I'm not anticipating any serious problem with the kit but probably some from my build

Geoff

Doc Marten10/05/2019 18:07:59
324 forum posts
2 photos

I got the notification too, what are you powering it with? Tempted by any of the extras for it?

Dwain Dibley.10/05/2019 18:12:09
1265 forum posts
1254 photos

I will be tuning in Geoff. Just off to check out the Site.

D.D.

alan barnstable10/05/2019 18:43:18
9 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Geoff,

Look forward to watching your build. I'm nearing completion of my DBSC 58" Tiger Moth. I've found it to be an interesting build, with good quality parts. Currently a little stuck with undercarriage build (haven't done any soldering), but everything else has been quite straight forward. I've done a series of build videos on YouTube, which will be a good record.

cheers, Alan

Geoff Sleath10/05/2019 21:11:11
3253 forum posts
247 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 10/05/2019 18:07:59:

I got the notification too, what are you powering it with? Tempted by any of the extras for it?

Mine will be electrically powered - probably 4S but possibly 6S. I'll have to email Richard to get an idea of the all up final weight. With a shortish nose it may involve some lead up front.

The only extras I've ordered are wheels. Not bothered with decals because I don't know what to model it on and I'll have a think about a dummy engine and pilot. I bought some Solartex a while back with a view to using it either on this or an SE5a.

Geoff

George P.31/05/2019 13:26:19
10 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Geoff, Congratulations on your purchase. Although my DB Pup is the 1/4 scale we can still fly in formation over Ashbourne one day (I will just fly a bit further away to get the size about rightsmiley). Hoping to get mine finished this summer and fly it. In the meantime here is some pictures of the progress. Got it propped up on the Dining room table to make up the rigging at the moment.

img_20180215_094622194 (1).jpg

George P.31/05/2019 14:14:20
10 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Geoff, Congratulations on your purchase. Although my DB Pup is the 1/4 scale we can still fly in formation over Ashbourne one day (I will just fly a bit further away to get the size about rightsmiley). Hoping to get mine finished this summer and fly it. In the meantime here is some pictures of the progress. Got it propped up on the Dining room table to make up the rigging at the moment. Can't build and can't fly but I enjoy trying!

img_20190531_123557629_burst000_cover.jpg

Geoff Sleath14/06/2019 20:50:42
3253 forum posts
247 photos

Your Pup looks good, George, but then I was impressed when you showed me some pics at the field earlier this year. You're a hard act to follow

My Pup kit arrived today after Richard had a few issues in acquiring the accessories and he updated the instructions. It all looks fine but, as yet, just a box full of balsa/ply strip and sheet, some of it beautifully CNC cut, all ready to be fitted together. The instructions and prototype build photos are on the DBS&S web site so you can have an idea of what the kit looks like.

I'm particularly pleased that the top wing and interplane strut fixing is very similar to that used on the similarly sized (58" )  Moths. Field assembly of biplanes often results in their ending up as hangar queens because of the time at the field. That isn't the case with either of my Moths (Tiger and Gypsy/Cirrus) and it doesn't look like it will with the Pup. So once it's built it'll be flown a lot.

Both sides of both wings are fully drawn on one sheet and fuselage on another so there's no need to try using both sides of the sheet by spreading parafin or whatever to make it transparent. It does make for big sheets of paper but that's a price worth paying IMO..

I probably won't start the build for a few weeks (or even months) but it seems to have kicked my enthusiasm a bit and hopefully enough to complete the Ryan I haven't touched since last December. I'm even intending to go to Weston on Sunday and I may even actually go flying if this rain stops.

Anyway from what I've seen this afternoon it all looks very good and, as it's a DB kit, should fly well, too. Richard has used the production of this new kit to celebrate 50 years since Boddo started it all off.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 14/06/2019 21:20:26

Cuban814/06/2019 21:10:25
2502 forum posts
10 photos

This is rediculous, I've broken my rule of never building more than one model at a time - three on the go at the momentcrying

..................and DB bring out this little beautywink

Dwain Dibley.14/06/2019 23:28:37
1265 forum posts
1254 photos

Here we go Geoff..............................laugh

Looking forward to this one, get stuck in Matey, lots of pics as well please.

D.D.

Percy Verance15/06/2019 06:31:42
8096 forum posts
155 photos

A nice expansion of the D B Sport & Scale mid size biplane range they already have. Tempting indeed...........

The market was ready for a Pup kit of this size since the Flair job vanished..... All Richard needs now is a larger sized Tiger Moth in his range, and he'll have most of the bases covered. He doesn't do much WW2 stuff, but that's fine by me......

And if, one day, he could squeeze in a Puss/Leopard Moth of around 80 inch span, then that would be even better......oh, and a 60 inch span Hornet Moth would sit nicely in the range as well..... wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 06:38:30

George P.15/06/2019 09:39:56
10 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Geoff, having seen your builds I know your Pup will be a corker. Any thoughts on a colour scheme?

George P.15/06/2019 09:48:37
10 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 06:31:42:

A nice expansion of the D B Sport & Scale mid size biplane range they already have. Tempting indeed...........

The market was ready for a Pup kit of this size since the Flair job vanished..... All Richard needs now is a larger sized Tiger Moth in his range, and he'll have most of the bases covered. He doesn't do much WW2 stuff, but that's fine by me......

And if, one day, he could squeeze in a Puss/Leopard Moth of around 80 inch span, then that would be even better......oh, and a 60 inch span Hornet Moth would sit nicely in the range as well..... wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 06:38:30

I agree. A larger Tiger Moth would be tempting or a Moth Minor. A 60 inch Hornet Moth would be good too. If I ever get around to finishing my Pup that is!

Edited By George P. on 15/06/2019 09:50:38

Percy Verance15/06/2019 14:42:21
8096 forum posts
155 photos

It would be good George, but of course it may not happen as designing, developing and producing kits takes lots of time, and Richard won't have many people on his payroll if any.

In some ways Richard, the present owner, is fortunate in that Boddo designed the models originally, with the previous owner (Eddie Stocker) redesigning and re-kitting some of the range. It's not always easy to improve on something that's pretty good to begin with, but Eddie made a fair job of it, bringing lazer cutting into the mix while he was at the helm. It improved kit quality and presentation no end.

Richard the present owner, has made his mark too by reintroducing the Tinker biplane kit in both i.c. and electric formats. Quite an iconic model for those whom are into Boddo designs. Great little flyer too.

P.S. I have the Moth Minor covered George. I still have an untouched Skyways one to go at. I also have the Mike Smart Hornet Moth plan plus the Belair parts set for it. Not a small biplane at 77inch span, but it's a nice model. Or will be once I get round to building it.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 14:51:39

George P.15/06/2019 16:21:31
10 forum posts
5 photos

Sounds like you are attracted to Moths like a ...er...er...Mothlaugh. A very nice couple of projects you have there.

Geoff Sleath15/06/2019 16:44:48
3253 forum posts
247 photos

Whilst there are a few Boddo touches from the other bipes (at least the Moths) I think Richard deserves most of the credit for this one. I'm looking forward to the build. I've even applied glue to wood on my Ryan this afternoon although merely to repair it after I fell on it a few weeks back. It's probably (actually certainly) the worst kit I've ever built; how they have the nerve to call the firm Easy Built Models I don't know.

Belair do plans and CNC parts for the Bates Moth Minor at 1/4, 1/5 and 1/8 scale. I was seriously considering the 1/5th scale version before I decided on the DB Pup

btw George, if you fancy a lift to Weston tomorrow, give me a call. Avice and I are going.

Geoff

Percy Verance15/06/2019 17:08:23
8096 forum posts
155 photos

You said it George. The DB Moth in my header pic dates from 1990. I flew it regularly for 20 odd years, including at more than a few OW Scale Weekends prior to finally selling it on. I have since replaced it with the newer lazer cut kit, which was far superior to the old one. Oh, plus I bought the Tiger Moth and Jodel kits while I was at it!

Yes, I like the DH types a lot. In fact I have a liking for most 30's between the wars aircraft. DH, Miles, Percival. You name it. I'm also a bit of a Bryant plan fan. I have the completed Rollason Condor plus the Comper Swift (Gypsy Engined version). I didn't fancy reproducing the exposed radial engine on the alternative one......although the details are shown on the plan.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 17:15:00

Kim Taylor15/06/2019 20:28:49
256 forum posts
53 photos

I bought the Comper Swift plan from Dennis Bryant at his shop in SE London back in the early eighties, I would guess. I also bought at the same time some injection moulded cylinders, heads and pushrod tubes which Dennis had produced to take the faff of cutting multiple discs for the pots. I've still got the plastic bits somewhere, never got around to building the model (family life got in the way) and somehow lost the plan in a house move along with other plans etc. which I'd been storing in a cardboard tube.sad

One day, I'll make a fresh start and get another plan, assuming I can ever afford to retire!!

Kim

Percy Verance15/06/2019 22:36:38
8096 forum posts
155 photos

In which case Kim, I may as well tell you that the Comper Swift plan is not as accurate as Mr Bryant would have liked it to have been. He mentioned it at one of the OW Scale Weekends a few moons ago. There is no leading edge sheeting shown on the plan itself, but on the later 3 view ( also drawn by Dennis Bryant ) it is shown. It might be worth getting hold of the Bryant 3 view prior to your build Kim. I have managed to get a few dozen close ups of the Shuttleworth example - I'm an SVAS member - so the pics clarified things for me.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 22:37:50

Kim Taylor15/06/2019 23:13:39
256 forum posts
53 photos

Thanks for that PV, I'll bear it in mind. yes

Kim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us