Forum sponsored by CML

Taranis 9 channel

Which one?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 111/05/2019 10:21:08
378 forum posts
14 photos

I know nothing about opentx for starters.

I previously owned a JR DSX9 and the Taranis looks the same case so it will be familiar .

I have a few spectrum RX`s still BUT will want to try other brands so have no real idea of the module I need for UK.

The Taranis when looking at vids now comes in several versions,if I was to buy second hand is there anything I should watch out for regards software ,are any outdated by now and not upgradeable?

many thanks

Andy Hat12/05/2019 11:32:03
64 forum posts
42 photos

The software is easy to up (or down) grade.

All parts are easy to replace - gimbals, switches etc.

After coming from JR, you'll find it initially confusing but once you've worked out the basics, it's very powerful. I'm not sure I remember a lot but I know how to duplicate, and then edit, models and that about all I need to know most of thr time. There are lots of youtube vids on setting it up.

I wouldn't change from FrSky now.

Andrew Ray13/05/2019 07:38:55
715 forum posts
19 photos

Gary, the X9D is a good place to start. Doesn’t really matter if it is EU LBT or not as it can be flashed with the correct firmware and yes it is fully updatable, although from what you have said I would recommend getting one that is already flashed with the EU LBT firmware.

For Spektrum you will need a module, either a Spektrum, Multiprotocol iRange X or Orange. I use the iRange X for my indoor Spektrum equipped models.

Like Andy and many others on here I wouldn’t change from FrSky, I had a Taranis for 3 years and upgraded to the X12S Horus 2 years ago, it took time to learn how to do things and I am still learning but what you can do is to a point only limited by your imagination.

Andy Blackburn13/05/2019 10:11:16
509 forum posts
487 photos
1 articles

+1 for the X9D - I think it's an ex-JR case, sits very nicely in the hands, sticks are good and you can get some hall-sensor gimbals if you really feel the need to spend the money. One thing that really helped me with the programming was the Open Tx User Manual - I can't stand trying to learn stuff from videos... smiley

Gary Murphy 113/05/2019 12:29:48
378 forum posts
14 photos

I had a DSX9 and liked that case style.not into the newer style or smaller sized cases.

The only thing I was unsure about is the software on the radio .

I really fancy getting away from the "major" brands this time. I do have a couple of spectrum rx`s BUT might even try something else. I am wrong in thinking that there is a module that will do several brands of RX`s?

Steve Balaam13/05/2019 13:21:21
99 forum posts

I have a new IRange IRX4 Plus 2.4Ghz Multiprotocol Tx Unit for sale if your interested.

Steve B

Andrew Ray13/05/2019 16:10:58
715 forum posts
19 photos

The iRange modules will support many but not all protocols.

The iRange IXR4 Plus gives you the option of serial mode where the chosen protocol is set in the OpenTX menu. You have to select multiprotocol when you flash OpenTX, in the transmitter menu this then gives you the protocol choices. The knob also gives the option of setting protocols if you have a tx that does not have the Multiprotocol option but as this doesn't apply to the Taranis you don't have to worry about it. I use one of these in my JR PCM9XII but in my Horus I use the iRange IRX4 for no other reason than I think it looks neater.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 13/05/2019 16:12:09

Martin McIntosh13/05/2019 16:16:57
2954 forum posts
1086 photos

I also normally use JRDSX9 and now have so many JR/Spektrum/Orange Rx`s to go with it that a total change would be very expensive. I also have a 9X2 modular Tx. (plus a few others such as TGY 6 and 10 ch. sets).

Quite a few years ago I bought an X9D plus 2x X8 and 2x D8 Rx`s. Also have a FrSky Tx module which came with two more D8`s. In order to get the X9D to work with all of my Rx`s the local Taranis guru put it on global s/w (at least I think that was the reason). Trouble is that it gets used so rarely that I need to go and see him every time that I want to do something different. I am totally useless with this type of programming. First attempt saw the trims working in the wrong direction. Interesting maiden.

May decide to keep the module and Rx`s and sell the rest. The only thing is that many of my scale models require at least 9 channels.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us