Forum sponsored by CML

E-flite Cherokee 1.3 BNF

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Hickey11/05/2019 12:39:08
55 forum posts
1 photos

Hi,

Does anyone out there have an E-flite Cherokee?

In the manual it gives set up info for initial dual rates etc. along with surface deflections for each rate. All seem ok apart from the elevator which states 10mm at HR & 7mm at LR.

It is an all moving tailplane. Do I measure the deflection at the LE or TE of the tailplane? The manual does not say.

Given the rates specified the deflections look ok when measured at the LE but are much more at the TE. The elevator is known to be highly effective on this model so really don't want to over cook it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim

Percy Verance11/05/2019 17:10:54
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Tim

An all moving tail almost always has it's deflection measured at the trailing edge. If it's a tapered elevator ( wider at the root than the tip) measure at the wider part.....

AMT's are sometimes quite powerful, so go easy Tim. After setting the specified throws, I'd be tempted to add 15 to 20% Expo to soften things further......

Percy Verance11/05/2019 17:10:55
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Tim

An all moving tail almost always has it's deflection measured at the trailing edge. If it's a tapered elevator ( wider at the root than the tip) measure at the wider part.....

AMT's are sometimes quite powerful, so go easy Tim. After setting the specified throws, I'd be tempted to add 15 to 20% Expo to soften things further......

Tim Hickey13/05/2019 08:38:03
55 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Percy,

Thanks for the info.

I have set the elev deflections to 10mm HR & 7mm LR measured at the trailing edge.

First time for me using AMT so wasn't sure where to measure & no mention in the destructions.

They recommend to use LR for initial flights and increase if needed.

Weather permitting hope to get maiden in the next couple of weekends.

Thanks again.

Tim

sharpy107113/05/2019 08:55:28
109 forum posts
36 photos

Tim set the deflections at the the trailing edge as given in book. I set mine at book settings and it is a pussy cat to fly no problems at all a good low wing trainer but loops, rolls, spins etc and on low flap takes off quickly on full flap you could almost pick it out off the sky in a 5mph wind when landing. The hatch aerial is rubbish I changed mine to a piece of wire acting as the aerial. I've also improved the the front leg, there are suggestions on RCGroups site. I fly from a rough field and have had about 50-60 flights so far with no problems. Hope this helps, Brian

Tim Hickey13/05/2019 09:31:24
55 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Brian,

Thanks, that's good to know. Looking forward to getting in some flying time with this one.

Also set mine as per book.

A couple of other things I have read on RCgroups...

reports of the plastic gear servos stripping on the rudder/wheel servo. Have you had any problems with the servos? Thinking about changing to some Hitec MG servos I have going spare.

with the BNF AS3x receiver, there is limited movement on the rudder channel, not getting recommended thows. the thoughts are that this is how the receiver has been programmed so not sure how to change this as I don't have a programming lead. Have you had this problem?

Cheers

Tim

sharpy107113/05/2019 09:37:34
109 forum posts
36 photos

Tim I have still got the original servos with no problems, I would wait until anything happens then decide what to do. I fly Futaba so cannot help with your set up, sorry.

Tim Hickey13/05/2019 10:35:02
55 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Brian.

Will heed your advice.

Cheers.

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us