By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Cordless - Dremel or Aldi special?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy C17/05/2019 17:40:48
158 forum posts

Been thinking about dding to my dremel a cordless version,but just seen in Aldi they have their own one. Aldi is £17,Dremel is anything up to £100.

Do you get what you pay for?

Thanks

Doc Marten17/05/2019 17:58:37
373 forum posts
4 photos

I've had a genuine Dremel for over 20 years, it broke once but was worth repairing however, looking at recent reviews is appears that they are not what they once were and the parts are either stupid prices or unavailable ........sooooo......... if it were me I'd take a chance on the Aldi option, I looked at one a few days ago and I must say it looked pretty good plus you get a 3 year waranty as long as you keep the receipt.

Attilio Rausse17/05/2019 18:05:40
103 forum posts

i bought one from lidl so impressed i bought another, would agree with doc Marten buy it, not a lot to lose.

Julian Murch17/05/2019 18:05:42
31 forum posts
1 photos

I have no experience of this particular thing but I have several Aldi tools - Routers, cordless drills, Jigsaw, Aligator saw and SDS Megadrill !

I have always found them to be very good and indeed I had 3 Black & Decker Aligator saws that all broke but the Aldi is now 4 years old and going strong (it will probably fail next time I use it but I have had my money's worth). I also have an angle grinder.

I had a 24 volt cordless drill and the chuck jammed and I could not change speed. Brief phone call to the company and a postage label was emailed to me. Off to Germany and came back within 7 days with a completely new drill. Same with a floor steam mop a new one came very quickly.

Don Fry17/05/2019 19:21:10
3950 forum posts
42 photos

I had a Dremel cordless for a long time. Eventually the (NiCad) battery wore out. A fine tool, just balance the work rate against what a battery can support.

i bought a Lidl replacement, Lipo battery. It's Ok for light load jobs, but if cutting or sanding, loading the drill is a nightmare. Slightly overload, and it stops. The old drill slowed, and you backed off pressure.

So the 240 volt job does the real work nowadays.

In fairness to Lidl/Aldi tools. If I were thinking of laying out the thick end of £100 on a cordless drill, I would like a grind with it first..

will -017/05/2019 20:40:48
557 forum posts
19 photos

I've had a woolworths corded one for ages. Not sure that's much help thoughcrook

Edited By will -0 on 17/05/2019 20:41:21

John Robertson 319/05/2019 23:35:07
172 forum posts
5 photos

I have both a Dremel corded and one of the Aldi cordless machines. I'm happy to use the cordless for most work, simply because it is convenient. It wheezes a bit if overloaded (that is, it stops!), but I haven't found that to be a problem. I simply unload the motor or go over to the Dremel corded machine.

Cuban820/05/2019 07:26:36
2722 forum posts
13 photos

I've had several cheap copy 'Dremels' over the years, and with the exception of the Aldi example that lasted all of 15 seconds from new before failing (money refunded no problem) they've been ok but nowhere near as good as the genuine article that I got from B&Q three or four years ago. It's a corded, mains power type and cost around £45 - personally I'd pay a bit more and go for the genuine article.

malcolm woodcock 120/05/2019 15:04:00
396 forum posts

I bought a Lidl 'Dremel' style rotary tool and it worked fine it just didn't have the same torque as the real thing but was still very useful.

timg20/05/2019 17:46:05
6 forum posts

Hi

I have just bought the aldi cordless (dremel) £17 , more than happy with it , i don't have any experience using /owning a genuine dremel so i can't compare.

I don't always think you get pay for

hopefully you will be happy wih whatever you choose

tim

Martin McIntosh20/05/2019 18:34:02
2933 forum posts
1073 photos

I bought a cordless Dremel when I was working in the US in 1998 (had to get a 240 to 110V transformer). The 7.2V NiCad still holds full capacity, the drill permanently has a 1/16th" bit in it and is so small and handy it is untrue. Would not be without it. Current ones are not US built (Russian I think). I bought an Aldi (or was it Lidl) one as a spare. Works fine and can recommend it. Also have mains B&Q one (Skill) which is great for the heavier work and you can still get spares for them.

Phil Olson - Model Technics21/05/2019 10:27:11
31 forum posts

I've had the Lidl one for at least 3 years and its still working fine - I would highly recommend it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us