Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Glitches and crashes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Kearsley21/05/2019 18:35:09
679 forum posts
3 photos

Guys, I'm looking for your expert opinions!

Today, my beloved Great Planes SR22 met its maker. It was flying beautifully and had been for a few minutes, when it inexplicably dived to the ground. I didn't react quickly enough to kill the throttle so it went in under power and is, well, written off.

Last week I had another model, a Durafly Excalibur, intermittently rolling suddenly to the left. That too suffered some damage, as I was unable to land it cleanly.

In both cases, there was no clear reason for what happened. In the Excalibur I had used a Lemon Rx, in the SR22, a Spektrum AR8000. The Tx is a DX8 G2.

In both cases the models had range-checked OK and were not flying at great distance. I also always make a basic check of control surfaces after every session and had found no issues with either model.

I have reached the point where I daren't fly another model in case the Tx has some intermittent problem What do you think?

What's the procedure now for Spekky repairs - return to HH in Germany?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Tim.

Denis Watkins21/05/2019 18:37:02
4459 forum posts
113 photos

HH is in the UK Tim

Al's Hobbies

The Great Al as service agent, has good feedback

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/05/2019 18:48:32

Stephen Smith 1421/05/2019 18:59:59
211 forum posts

Another 2 planes lost to spectrum.

Paul C.21/05/2019 19:31:49
647 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Tim , logic rc are the dealers for spektrum and I think that they also offer service. I like many have been using spektrum for years without any issues, check out servos for drawing excess current or stalling , battery packs etc. As your first crash went in under full power it does not sound as though the failsafe activated due to loss of signal, don't forget to give the on off switch a good check (I have a particular hatred for switches) Halfords electrical cleaner is great for cleaning switches and servo extension lead connectors.

Best of luck Paul.

Jason-I21/05/2019 19:40:34
319 forum posts
44 photos

I recently sent my DX9 to Als hobbies for repair due to poor range issues. They repaired it and shipped it back the very same day they took delivery of it. Excellent service.

In my experience though, the range you get from a lemon rx is less than that from a genuine spektrum rx.

SIMON CRAGG21/05/2019 19:41:42
575 forum posts
5 photos

I know this is going to stir up a hornets nest!

Out of our 45 members, roughly 40 use Futaba.

The majority of RC problems I have seen at the field have been with Speccy gear.

It could be coincidence..........but personally with 40+ years of experience, I would not bother.

Sorry, but its Futaba all day long for me.

Heading for the shelter..................................!

Tim Kearsley21/05/2019 19:43:53
679 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Paul,

The model that went in today had an electronic switch, so no moving parts (I don't trust mechanical switches). I used a separate Rx NimH pack in this model which I had charged the night before. I too have used Spektrum for at least 10 years, with no issues. It's the loss of two models with unexplained glitches which has made me doubt the Tx. It could of course be nothing to do with the Tx, but how can you tell?

Tim.

Jon - Laser Engines21/05/2019 19:45:40
5513 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 21/05/2019 19:41:42:

I know this is going to stir up a hornets nest!

Out of our 45 members, roughly 40 use Futaba.

The majority of RC problems I have seen at the field have been with Speccy gear.

It could be coincidence..........but personally with 40+ years of experience, I would not bother.

Sorry, but its Futaba all day long for me.

Heading for the shelter..................................!

Save me a space as I kinda agree

Don Fry21/05/2019 19:48:59
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Steven, Simon, there was a very cerebral discussion a few days ago about lockout interference issues with a series of FrSky receivers. It was informative and informed.

When you have either something valid to say, or a statistically valid argument, speak. Until then lob your bricks somewhere else. Thank you.

Peter Christy21/05/2019 19:54:50
1823 forum posts

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 21/05/2019 19:43:53:

It could of course be nothing to do with the Tx, but how can you tell?

Tim.

Not easy with 2.4 GHz gear! In days of yore (35MHz and 27MHz) dodgy transmitters were quite easy to spot with a simple monitor. Because 2.4 GHz gear does not transmit continuously, spotting a dodgy Tx is not easy.

I suspect the service agents will simply change the RF board as a precaution, as well as checking for obvious things like dodgy stick pots or frayed wires. A service engineer capable of fault finding a 2.4 GHz RF board at component level - and fixing it - will be expensive. Much cheaper just to change the board!

One thing you could try is moving the sticks *very slowly* from one extreme to the other. Most people just bang the sticks from end to end while checking, and assume everything in between will be OK. T'ain't necessarily so! A noisy stick pot (or servo for that matter) will only be revealed if you move slowly from one end to the other. If it jitters at any point, you've found a problem!

--

Pete

Jason-I21/05/2019 20:04:06
319 forum posts
44 photos

Hi Paul,

The model that went in today had an electronic switch, so no moving parts (I don't trust mechanical switches). I used a separate Rx NimH pack in this model which I had charged the night before. I too have used Spektrum for at least 10 years, with no issues. It's the loss of two models with unexplained glitches which has made me doubt the Tx. It could of course be nothing to do with the Tx, but how can you tell?

Tim.

If there is any doubt, send it in. They will test it properly with a frequency analyser. It is not wasted money even if the tx turns out to be ok, as at least you will have piece of mind and then you can look for other causes. I didn't want to send my DX9 away (didn't want to be parted from it). In the end I was glad I did. I had it back within a week of sending it off, complete with a new RF deck all for a very reasonable price.

Stephen Smith 1421/05/2019 20:27:30
211 forum posts
Posted by Don Fry on 21/05/2019 19:48:59:

Steven, Simon, there was a very cerebral discussion a few days ago about lockout interference issues with a series of FrSky receivers. It was informative and informed.

When you have either something valid to say, or a statistically valid argument, speak. Until then lob your bricks somewhere else. Thank you.

You keep the blinkers on but page after page of spectrum problems on the Internet, personal problems with it when spektrum split from Jr, every club member at our club that uses spectrum has had at least one failure. Always the battery or the switch or a connection but very rearly happens with other makes.

That's enough proff for me and many others to doubt the ability to perform the flight safely using spectrum gear, we all have choices and I'm sure you can make your own, but personally I'm not prepared to risk safety or a valuable airframe because I'm to pig headed to accept reality.

SIMON CRAGG21/05/2019 20:53:30
575 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 21/05/2019 19:48:59:

Thats us told then Steve!.

Time to scroll past in future.

Head in sand and all that!

Paul C.21/05/2019 21:13:20
647 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Paul,

Tim.

Hi Tim, I agree once you have checked out the the usual suspects it's time to get the tx checked out. There are some good spektrum service about at reasonable prices, even if they find nothing wrong it's piece of mind and you can start to look for other causes. As a by the by I have only had one rx tx failure since messing about with radio control back in 1969 and that would you believe was with a multiplex reciever 😱 . Over the years the majority of my problems have been with servos not centering, drawing too much power or on off switches. Tracking down the cause of the problem can be a bit of a black art and needs a step by stem approach to find the culprit, a bit like NCIS on the TV 😂 ain't this hobby fun 😂😂😂😂

Paul.

Peter Miller21/05/2019 21:17:47
11117 forum posts
1309 photos
10 articles

In our club one person had problems with his early DX8. Another had problems with his DX 7 untill he binned one receiver.

Quite a few other Spektrums in the club and NO other problems.

I use one of the first Spektrum DX7s in the country. Never had a problem.

Make of that what you will.

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/05/2019 21:18:37

cymaz21/05/2019 21:17:56
9258 forum posts
1196 photos

Do you have any telecommunications masts nearby??

At Davidstow we must not fly about 3pm in winter and 4pm BST. 

Edited By cymaz on 21/05/2019 21:19:38

Richard Wills 221/05/2019 22:55:34
205 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by cymaz on 21/05/2019 21:17:56:

At Davidstow we must not fly about 3pm in winter and 4pm BST.

Edited By cymaz on 21/05/2019 21:19:38

We have a mast about 1/2 mile from our field, dishes pointed directly at us. It has been blamed for many losses over the past few years when turning across that end of the field. Every one of these has happened to one and only one brand of radio which will remain nameless, all others have had zero problems.

Martin Harris21/05/2019 23:29:16
9351 forum posts
252 photos
Posted by cymaz on 21/05/2019 21:17:56:

At Davidstow we must not fly about 3pm in winter and 4pm BST.

Any idea what happens at that time that's so different to the rest of the day?

I see there are a couple of aerial towers close by with microwave dishes on one.  Funnily enough, we have a similar tower near our field and a few members swear blind that their models are regularly affected in certain areas.  Oddly, many others have flown in those areas extensively without incident...

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/05/2019 23:38:02

cymaz22/05/2019 00:08:49
9258 forum posts
1196 photos

Apparently there is a data package that goes out. Not sure where to. If you are interested I can ask another club member who is into radio masts etc.

Piers Bowlan22/05/2019 08:11:03
2154 forum posts
53 photos

Hi Tim, sorry to hear about your problems and the demise of your model - my commiserations. I am certainly no expert but from previous threads on this subject, problems with intermittent aerial connections seems to be a reoccurring theme (I am not referring to Spektrum specifically in this respect). As already mentioned NiMH batteries are a frequent source of failure. They can be charged the previous night, show good voltage in the morning but the voltage collapse under load, even sometimes when they are only two or three years old. I know some NiMH batteries give good service for years and years, wherein lies the problem. I have removed new-looking shrink wrap from suspect batteries in the past to find worrying evidence of corrosion on the ends of the wires. I binned them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!