Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Glitches and crashes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jonathan M22/05/2019 12:16:31
646 forum posts
272 photos

Some of you will recall my own long thread earlier this year where two power models went in within a week or so of one another. After the first crash (a brand-new balsa Wot4 EP), I thoroughly investigated the installation, power-supply, proximity of a mobile-phone mast, etc, but after the second crash (a 2 year old Acrowot IC which had never failed me before) the only common denominator was the transmitter. (Both models experienced holds in a B-Cert spin manoeuvres - the Wot4 never came out of it, the Acrowot did at the last moment but without sufficient height left to recover.)

So I sent my DX7 G2 (black) to Al's for a service, which revealed a fault with the RF board which was then replaced.

I'd already bought a Taranis with FrySky receivers for my gliders but was thinking of keeping the DX7 for power stuff as I have several Spektrum receivers, until...

...I subsequently went out light-wind sloping a 1m DLG using the repaired DX7 (I hadn't yet swapped the model over to FrySky when a mate texted me to meet him up the hill)... then, after twenty minutes or so, I noticed a momentary lack of response! The glider wasn't that far out, but I brought it in closer and wiggled the sticks: all seemed okay, so I thought it was perhaps my imagination... then it definitely happened again!! I landed the glider immediately.

I've had enough. I will now never use the DX7 again (and will bin it rather that sell it to an unsuspecting user)!

David Davis22/05/2019 14:10:48
3285 forum posts
559 photos

My own story also concerns Spektrum. In brief I bought a Spektrum DX6i when they first came out, which was no trouble other than a jammed rudder rate switch, a common fault. This was repaired free of charge and by return by Horizon Hobbies.

In 2015 having sold my house in England, having retired to rural France and being well-wedged, I bought a new DX9, keeping the DX6i as a slave for beginners. The DX9 continued to perform well until a couple of years ago when I switched on at the flield to find that although the screen lit up, the transmitter failed to function. As Horizon Hobbies had closed all of their Eurpoean workshops except the German one in Barsbuttel, I sent it there for repair. They were overwhelmed with work not having recruited sufficient technicians to deal with the increased work-load. After several weeks, when they did not answer my emails or phone calls, I speak German quite well incidentally, they sent it to HQ in the USA where it was repaired within two days and sent back.

Then one fine winter's day earlier in the year I was flying my SLEC Fun-Fly. I'll admit I was chucking it about a fair bit when the engine hesitated then cut in a knife-edge climb. I prepared to level the wings and stick the nose down but I had no response and the model crashed to destruction.

So, feeling that the crash may have been due to pilot error, I dragged out my Junior 60. I was searching for lift over a wood when the model went into an uncontrollable spiral dive. Seeing that I had crashed two models in consecutive flights I deduced that I had a problem with the transmitter. I sent it off to Logic RC where a new RF board was fitted. Since getting it back from Logic it has performed faultlessly and because I still had the DX6i, I could continue flying with minimal disturbance while the DX9 was away.

I am left to conclude that some Spektrum transmitters are not reliable. I never had such problems with Sanwa or Futaba FM gear in the pre 2.4 GHz days, and if my DX9 fails again, I will not be replacing it with another Spektrum transmitter.

Please don't tell anybody that I've crashed a Junior 60! blush

Percy Verance22/05/2019 15:57:56
7909 forum posts
152 photos

You might arge you didn't crash it David.......

However, it seems ok now........

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2019 15:59:28

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us