Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

In The Newsagents ...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance22/05/2019 14:49:04
7909 forum posts
152 photos

Can't you go for a digital subscription Stephen?

stephen craggs22/05/2019 15:01:26
21 forum posts

Hi Percy, that may be an idea, do you get the plans?

stephen craggs22/05/2019 15:05:24
21 forum posts

Just had a look, NO PLANS. Can i get the mags on windows?

Percy Verance22/05/2019 15:07:32
7909 forum posts
152 photos

That's the downside Stephen. There are no plans with the digital subscription. How many of the free plans might you build? If it's just one or two per year, I'd be tempted to just buy the plans......

Peter Miller22/05/2019 18:20:32
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

I can understand the liking for a hard copy of the magazine. I love reading but I hate kindles. The feeling of the pages in the hand and the weight of the book makes all the difference.

The trouble today is that people seem to think that a screen is the ultimate way to live.

The other day I was leaving the house.I live on the village dog walk, a lovely lane with views across miles of open countryside.

This woman was walking down the road towards me. she had her dog on the lead.

She glanced up once and then carried on straight towards me never looking up again. I have seen the same with parents with children.

It seems that if it isn't on a screen it isn't worth looking at.

Percy Verance22/05/2019 19:27:23
7909 forum posts
152 photos

We had a young chap working with us a little while back Peter, and I couldn't help but notice that at no time did he allow his phone to be further away from him than he could reach. He was utterly aghast when I told him my mobile was locked in the glovebox of my car, and I often went weeks without switching it on.....

He couldn't grasp at all that I had zero interaction with either Facebook or Twitter. That seemed totally alien to him, as did the fact I have only ever sent about 6 text messages in the last 20 years......he said he sends between 50 and 100 per day.

I watched one youngster walk full into a lampost, such was his fascination with his screen.....and on another occasion a young girl walked directly off the pavement on a corner, right into the road in front of me, staring blindly at her screen. I braked sharply, having anticipated what was about to happen. She looked up and immediately recoiled in horror. She seemed oblivious to the fact she was in the middle of the road......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2019 19:34:36

Braddock, VC22/05/2019 20:27:27
1592 forum posts
58 photos

Percy, you and I are in the minority. I have to say that I prefer my kids engrossed in their phones than smoking which was the pastime of the young many years ago.

I also note they don't pick their noses as much as kids in my day wink.

Peter Miller22/05/2019 21:10:59
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

Somehow I think I would prefer kids that picked their noses to those who have square eyes and only see the world on a screen.

A few less of the latter and we might even have a few young model builders.

stephen craggs22/05/2019 21:11:14
21 forum posts

They dont pick their noses because they may smudge the screenthinking

Percy Verance22/05/2019 21:22:35
7909 forum posts
152 photos

Well if it's choice between getting cleaned up on a street coner, head butting a lampost or picking my nose, I'll stick with the last option, screen or no screen.......

And don't mention the rubbish they eat and drink. I have a 29 year old nephew whom has no front teeth because they've all rotted away. For many years now he has consumed several tins of energy drinks per day. Having no front teeth, he can't eat apples or anything semi-hard, and both he and his girlfriend virtually exist on take-aways........His girlfriend drinks only cola, never tea, coffee or water etc......They both smoke regularly, and can't understand why they never seem to have any spare cash.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2019 21:34:06

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2019 21:35:50

Braddock, VC23/05/2019 00:31:42
1592 forum posts
58 photos

Percy, a little story. Wife and I went to the pilot at dungeness coinciding with the school run, I watched a boy breakdancing (?) along the pavement in a world of his own. I told my wife I remembered doing something like that one time when my school broke up for summer hols and I walked straight into a gas lamp post that floored me.

Happy days.

Tom Sharp 223/05/2019 01:02:08
3348 forum posts
17 photos

Braddock, this forum is famous for wandering off topic.

Peter Miller23/05/2019 08:07:47
9836 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/05/2019 01:02:08:

That sounds like the average conversaton anywhere

Don Fry23/05/2019 10:27:33
3440 forum posts
40 photos

Back on topic, you need a robot magazine, then build a robot picker upper of magazines, then you have a RCM@E in hand, and a possibility of an earner from sales of the picker upper. Need a better name for it.

Edited By Don Fry on 23/05/2019 10:28:08

Braddock, VC23/05/2019 10:38:07
1592 forum posts
58 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/05/2019 01:02:08:

God allmighty, I never noticed that wink

Bruce Collinson23/05/2019 14:39:41
335 forum posts

Can't resist, although this seems like interrupting a long conversation between old friends.

Re anti-social media, the problem seems to me that it is becoming the domain of two groups of idiots; firstly the ones who put "stuff" out there, then secondly the bigger idiots who believe it.

As for staring at i-Screens, walking into lamp-posts, under buses etc, we might encourage it in accordance with Charles Darwin's principles.

BTC

Nigel R23/05/2019 15:32:34
2724 forum posts
445 photos

Nothing new there Bruce, self publicising fools and followers have been around since stick paintings and open fires were the last word in interior decor.

Percy, you are on this very forum, which is social media, doing a remarkable amount of social media for someone who claims not to do any social media. As are many of us.

Facebook is just a slightly different take on the social media thing, with more flashy videos and no particular subject matter (hence, anyone and everyone is on it, not always a good thing).

Percy Verance23/05/2019 16:05:37
7909 forum posts
152 photos

I'd have to beg to differ slightly Nigel. This is the RCM&E forum, and I'm an RCM&E subscriber.

I imagine this forum is read by few whom are outside the modelling spectrum. Indeed, many forum members will be readers of RCM&E like myself. And unlike the social media sites you mentioned, there are no ex wives, bleating girlfriends or indeed many others doing their dirty washing in public. This forum also has a fair degree of moderation, with anything not conforming to the COC being removed fairly promptly.

So quite a bit different from the way I'm told Facebook and Twitter operate I think?

I've yet to read anything on here which would make me consider taking my own life, mainly for the reasons I've cited above. Sadly, the other sites unfortunately cannot claim the same....  They shall remain a no go area as far as I'm concerned.

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 16:14:22

Nigel R23/05/2019 16:26:48
2724 forum posts
445 photos

Or in other words, Facebook is a different sort of social media, anyone and everyone can be on it, it has no particular subject matter. Twitter much the same but again a different style. And then forums. Usually a forum has subject matter.

Like it or not Percy, you're doing social media. Regularly. Here. And now. You just did some right there. On this forum. Above this very post!

Percy Verance23/05/2019 17:34:33
7909 forum posts
152 photos

Well regarding this particular forum, I do like it. If I didn't I obviously wouldn't use it.

I'm happy enough knowing there are no huge data breaches or selling of personal details etc.

I'm afraid I can't grasp the point you seem to be striving to make. I like it here, so I'll stay. I shan't ever use Facebook or the other one because I personally know someone whom had a most unpleasant experience because of his use of it.

My own experience of this particular forum leads me to feel that's unlikely to happen on here.....

So with respect Nigel, don't waste anymore of your time or effort trying to shove me into a corner, because in all likelyhood one of two things will happen. 

1. I shan't take any notice, or 2. I'll place you on ignore.

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 17:41:50

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us