By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hurricane/ do they need rudder/aileron mix?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul coleman 123/05/2019 17:17:29
117 forum posts

or any other mixing for that matter?

Frank Skilbeck23/05/2019 17:49:57
4383 forum posts
101 photos

Most low wing planes don't require any aileron/rudder mix and it shouldn't be necessary on a warbird, just make sure you use the rudder on low speed turns e.g. just after take off on new low wing planes I usually make sure I have some aileron differential programmed in (about twice as much up aileron as down) to compensate for any adverse yaw, then adjust after a few flights after getting the feel of the model.

If the model has flaps it may benefit from a bit of down elevator mixed into the flaps.

PS we just restoring an old Mike Reeves Hurricane and have no plans to add any mix, but there's no flaps on this one.

paul coleman 123/05/2019 17:53:34
117 forum posts

Thankyou frank,i have been flying low wings a while now,but never flown a warbird yet,i have been told they can be different to the regular low wing models.

Ray Wood 423/05/2019 18:04:23
55 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Frank,

The Mick Reeves Hurricane will fly rudder and elevator, as I found out after forgetting to connect the ailerons , managed a complete circuit and putting her down down safe, 35 years ago, On West Mallings main runway, always checked after that 😀

Regards Ray

Trevor Crook23/05/2019 23:23:13
808 forum posts
63 photos

I've had a couple of Hurries, the Balsacraft one years ago and the Dynam one more recently. Both exhibited significant pitch down on application of a moderate amount of rudder. They would have benefitted from a rudder/elevator mix to reduce this, but I never got around to trying it.

Jon - Laser Engines24/05/2019 08:25:36
4660 forum posts
173 photos

My 63 inch Hurricane has the same behaviour Trevor mentions but i just ignore it. You should never mix rudder and aileron on the tx as you often need to use the controls in opposite directions and you cant do this if they are tied together and as warbirds are almost never in trim anyway i just trim for half throttle level flight and fly the rest.

You have two sticks and two hands, that is how you do your mixing

The only mix i use on warbirds is elevator flap as lowering the flaps/undercarriage normally causes a large nose down pitch. As a result i use an elevator flap mix in place of changing the trim as you would on a full size.

Warbirds are different but are not difficult. You just have to let them do the work. If you try yanking them round the sky its all going to end in tears. Less is more, especially when it comes to elevator rates. If you set it up like a sport model with large amounts of elevator deflection its not going to end well. Once in the air i doubt i use more than 3mm? certainly no more than 5mm through an entire flight of my little Hurricane.

bert baker24/05/2019 08:49:30
1300 forum posts
278 photos

I use the Transmitter to mix elevator  with the flaps,to prevent ballooning up when flap applied,

I have found that coupling a mix for rudder and aileron can cause a Rudder servo to travel to far if both stick inputs are put in the same direction and cancel rudder movement out of both applied the opposite direction,,

Far simpler to use both thumbs independently

Edited By bert baker on 24/05/2019 08:50:46

Peter Christy24/05/2019 08:56:25
1433 forum posts
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/05/2019 08:25:36:
You have two sticks and two hands, that is how you do your mixing

Exactly! laugh

--

Pete

Chris Walby24/05/2019 10:07:27
927 forum posts
222 photos

....I must be missing out on something. I don't have any mixes between rudder, ailerons, gear, flaps or elevators...on any of my models

My warbirds tend to pitch down with gear and up with flaps so sort of neutrals its self out and the only one that yaws in with roll has a fixed rudder so can't do much with that....

Perhaps when I have more time I could finely tune with a mix here and a mix there to get the absolute best out of the air frame, but at this time I just like getting on the sticks and flying.

PS Time to get the Laser Mossie out I think smiley

Romeo Whisky24/05/2019 15:13:22
700 forum posts
188 photos

You may be interested to know that the Wright brothers mixed rudder in with ailerons (actually wing-warp) back in 1903. Fact!

Jon - Laser Engines24/05/2019 16:29:33
4660 forum posts
173 photos
Posted by Romeo Whisky on 24/05/2019 15:13:22:

You may be interested to know that the Wright brothers mixed rudder in with ailerons (actually wing-warp) back in 1903. Fact!

Yes..but Hurricanes didnt as they knew better by then so im not sure where you were going with that.

will -024/05/2019 16:39:49
553 forum posts
19 photos

I used to fly one of these, the mechanical mixer for the flaperons was something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umA_yWVtnAA

Edited By will -0 on 24/05/2019 16:40:09

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us