Forum sponsored by CML

M6? Not If I Can Help It......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Marsh24/05/2019 20:33:18
3647 forum posts
1018 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 21:11:21:

I think it's called a traffic jam Paul....... Very popular in Summer, especially Bank Holidays.

No, not really, its all the time. was driving back at 2am in the morning and got stuck for an hour. Also, it;s worse, as night works have you leaving at Jct 5 to drive though the city to rejoin at jct 6

Martin Harris24/05/2019 20:57:03
8671 forum posts
214 photos

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/05/2019 18:10:02:

After crashing through the gable end of a thankfully empty cottage, it appears one of the crew attempted an ejection rather late, and both he and his seat were found in a field several hundred meters away from the area of the impact.

A late ejection with a happier ending occurred near Bury St. Edmunds around 1980. I was talking to a farmer whose field I'd arrived on in a glider, having found the ground too close to my backside and not found any lift and he mentioned that his field seemed popular as 2 RAF aircrew had both landed in the same field a few weeks earlier after ejecting from their burning Hunter trainer...so low that the canopy had also landed in the same field!

buster prop26/05/2019 10:40:49
461 forum posts
9 photos

I realise that we are getting off the topic but I'm reminded of something. In Germany they used to say that if you want a Starfighter just buy a field and wait.

Percy Verance26/05/2019 12:20:23
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Oddly Buster, I've sometimes thought of buying a field in which to fly........

About 10 years ago a group of us were set to do just that, but the field owner backed out as negotiations progressed......

Any decent farm land up here in the Lakes sells for anything up to 10k per acre. And a plot of land with planning for a house can easily be 100k to 200k+   I have a bundle of paperwork relating to my bungalow here, and the original purchaser of the land, a Mr Drinkwater, paid £200 for the plot of village land in 1963. He didn't have the bungalow built until 1965 though..... Perhaps he was saving up the £1800 it cost back then to build it? Mind you, Mr Drinkwater might not be too chuffed to see what's happened to his dream now. It's now about 75% larger, and is now "L" shaped after the 45k extension I added two years ago. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/05/2019 12:35:52

Geoff Sleath26/05/2019 16:20:37
3271 forum posts
251 photos

My favourite bit of road near Shap is the concrete road that climbs up to Shap through Keld from Haweswater. It's not strictly a right of way and was built for the traffic building the reservoir but I've never had a problem cycling up it and it's a lovely quiet ride.

Geoff

Andrew Price 226/05/2019 17:05:54
815 forum posts

Traffic jam, guys!!

Not on your life.

When paid by the hour to drive a truck I used to call it overtime!!

Andrew Price 226/05/2019 17:05:55
815 forum posts

Traffic jam, guys!!

Not on your life.

When paid by the hour to drive a truck I used to call it overtime!!

Percy Verance26/05/2019 17:24:11
8109 forum posts
155 photos

I know it well Geoff. I used to use that old concrete road as a shortcut to get to Haweswater, where, as you'll know, there is some great walking country... and you might just remember the Crown & Mitre in Bampton Geoff? Excellent grub for a tiny village pub. That said, it is on the Coast to Coast route.......

Over the last 10 years or so the old road seems to have broken up and cracked badly in some places, and if you got it wrong in your car you'd run the risk of damage I think. The local authority are not in the least bit interested in any repairs as it's not a public right of way, but it is used by some local traffic as there are farms and various isolated properties along it and access is needed by those whom live in them. At one point someone placed some steel posts across one gateway to prevent access, but the next time I looked, the posts had been chopped off at ground level........

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/05/2019 17:33:05

Tom Sharp 226/05/2019 21:05:27
3427 forum posts
17 photos

I live near to J17 M6 in Cheshire.

Here it is solid traffic most of the day. They recently upgraded the road from three solid lanes of traffic to Smart Motorway, incorporating the hard shoulder as a traffic lane.

Now we have four solid lanes of traffic.

Percy Verance27/05/2019 09:51:45
8109 forum posts
155 photos

It's like the old Two Ronnies joke Tom. The new Minister of Transport is to implement his new roads policy. Every major town and city will have a new by-pass built. You'll be able to drive all day without actually getting anywhere.......

John Duncker28/05/2019 22:52:10
79 forum posts
7 photos

I am a biker.these are hard to beat

The Antrim coast road in Northern Island

The A 537 to the Cat and Fiddle in the Peak District. NB This can be aggresively policed especially on Sundays.

My favorite is the A470, Cardiff to Llandudno, Wales

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us