Forum sponsored by CML

Battle of Britain film.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Ashby - Moderator28/05/2019 09:47:04
10895 forum posts
1663 photos
605 articles

At one point in the film Robert Shaw leaves the house early in the morning and, as he and a tired Ian McShane pass the front door you can see a plastic door bell pusher on the wall..... were those around in the 40s?

I may have watched it once too often 😬

ken anderson.28/05/2019 09:51:01
8415 forum posts
772 photos

up here in the north east we had a fair few airfields.my uncle and his friends were all camping out in the country side when over head came a spitfire, very low backfiring and smoke coming from it.The plane crash landed a couple of fields away from where they were, they ran over to see it and got nobbled by the local policeman, ending up in court for destroying valuable war crops,and getting fined 2 shilling each( 10 pence)

ken anderson...ne...1...war crops dept.

Cuban828/05/2019 09:52:34
2561 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 28/05/2019 09:47:04:

At one point in the film Robert Shaw leaves the house early in the morning and, as he and a tired Ian McShane pass the front door you can see a plastic door bell pusher on the wall..... were those around in the 40s?

I may have watched it once too often 😬

The bell push is an old chestnut as is the style of door itself...........no, you can never watch the film too often.

Cuban828/05/2019 10:41:06
2561 forum posts
12 photos

Some good stuff here **LINK**

Most of the bloopers I think most of we BoB anoraks are aware of - have to say I haven't noticed the 'mountains' outside of Calais before and the comment about the 'water' spraying out of the exploding hangar I always took to be petrol or fuel oil that didn't ignite properly on the first try.

On the DVD's additional stuff , another thing that I hadn't really noticed before and what Guy Hamilton points out, is just how non-Teutonic the forlorn German troops look when watching the returning burning Heinkel. That's because, as GH says, they're mostly soldiers borrowed from the Spanish Army as extras! Not just in that shot of German troops either .

Just to swerve off topic for a second, I think the worst bit of casting for a british soldier has to be the idiot that appears in 'Band of Brothers' at the airfield IIRC, when waiting to embark for D day. Makes Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent (why are all working class characters in US films given fake cockney accents?) sound authentic laugh

BTW if you want a genuine old style cockney accent, listen to the actor George Sewell (born in Hoxton) when he played a criminal in 'The Sweeney' TV series.

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/05/2019 10:50:42

Stuphedd28/05/2019 11:42:38
643 forum posts
348 photos

I am quite surprised no one has mentioned the "models "

I remember hanging in Geoff Franklins shop in Leicester the remnants of a very burnt RC Spit which he flew with a few other RC pilots for the film . Look at the exploding aircraft and spot the balsa !!

He said they were asked to just fly a pattern over and over again untill the producer got the right shot and suddenly the aircraft you were flying "blew up" no warning ,you just ended up with the TX !!

interesting days !

Tom Sharp 228/05/2019 11:51:31
3424 forum posts
17 photos

One thing I noticed yesterday, the two German airmen recalled to Berlin for wrongly bombing London, arrived in a Junkers Ju 252 three motor transport. This was a late version of the Ju 52 three engine transport which did not appear until 1944.

Percy Verance28/05/2019 16:22:06
8109 forum posts
155 photos

DIGGER

My old man used to tell me the Poles had a pathological hatred of the Germans. Understandable I suppose. He said it wasn't unheard of for Polish fighter pilots to try to ram German bombers after their ammunition ran out, rather than see them get away.....

And despite orders to the contrary, it wasn't unheard of for the odd Polish pilot to machine gun parachuting Germans while they were decending......and if all the ammo had gone they used to fly extremely close to the canopy of the chute, which caused it to collapse....... That said, a Hurricane pilot, Ray Holmes, rammed a Dornier bomber which seemed to be heading for Buckingham Palace. Ray baled from his Hurricane, landing safely, and two crew got out of the Dornier. One was bady beaten by civilians on landing, later dying in hospital. The other became a POW. The remains of the Ray Holmes Hurricane engine is on display at Duxford...... Ray watched parts of his Hurricane being excavated before he died.......

There is a short clip of cine film of the immediate aftermath of the Ray Holmes incident on YouTube.  Try searching for Ray Holmes Rams Dornier......

The Polish pilots were treated a bit like heroes at times, with few having to buy a drink in a bar for example. Their sheer guts and bravery was rarely in question at the time...... I guess they felt they had nothing more to lose, having lost everything already.

Edited By Percy Verance on 28/05/2019 16:37:08

will -028/05/2019 16:25:45
553 forum posts
19 photos

I notice on the CH5 version they have edited the Polish pilot in the field scene

No more "good afternoon my A***, you boche b*****", skips straight to " come on, put your 'ands up"

Personally I love the film for its stunning air-to-air sequences and, of course, the score. It's to its credit that it shows it all, life and death and even the "stars" come to grief.

Edited By will -0 on 28/05/2019 16:26:33

Edited By will -0 on 28/05/2019 16:27:46

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us