Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New EDF Mini Jets- Hawk & Lightning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Nijhuis31/05/2019 20:06:51
609 forum posts
233 photos

Well these two brings the tally up to eight EDF mini jets so far, so I think its time to leave them and find another project.....

Many of you had asked for both the Lightning and Hawk to be mini-sized EDF and as of yesterday, only the hawk was playing ball.

The Lightning unfortunately was being an absolute pig both in perfomance and ability to get a clean launch. Last weekend and Hastings MFC it took 4 attempts to get the Lighting into the air; the previous 3 ended up resulted in matchwood- rebuild-matchwood-rebuild-matchwood.....finally got it away but performance was disappointing. I made some mods to the cofg on Tuesday evening...still no good and yet more damage....i was planning on bining the design but decided today to go back to first principals......by making a 40% chucky glider. Strangely the chucky glider was rubbish also!!!!......turned out the wing incidence was not enough and the tailplane needed adjustment. The cofg was also re-established....needed to be further forward.

Doing this and the chucky flew great.

So replicating this to the Lightning and installing a 4S Fan unit (not the 3S as used in all the others design) the model was tested this afternoon.

Needles to say what a transformation....the launch was uncompromised and the 4S power was just right....no nasty tendencies, just went where you pointed her.....so the Pheonix has risen from the 'bin' so to speak

img_7222.jpg

img_7218.jpg

Reno Racer01/06/2019 17:19:45
1138 forum posts
168 photos

Tony, I think you’ll cause a complete UK shortage of FMS 50mm fans with these little crackers. smileyI keep checking your site for the kit packs. Gnat will definitely get built, since I have a work connection, as will the JP and now the frightning. Great work and good to see some proper wood edf jets.

Former Member02/06/2019 19:53:43

[This posting has been removed]

andrew exton03/06/2019 05:42:56
18 forum posts
8 photos

great never really fancied edf but a lightning well hell yea ,

but (not a critique just a personal thing ) why does nobody do the T-bird or is it just far simpler to keep to the single seat fighters

andy

Tony Nijhuis04/06/2019 17:17:23
609 forum posts
233 photos

Reno....you may be right about the FMS unit...lol.....they'll just have to step in production in China wont they

The Lightning I have now tried on a 3S fan with 3S lipo and made some internal modifications to allow better air distribution and happy to report the model works well....I still will only be recommending the 4S version though as she needs that extra punch

andrew exton12/08/2019 15:44:21
18 forum posts
8 photos

hi

any updates on the lightning

andy

Tony Nijhuis15/08/2019 13:34:48
609 forum posts
233 photos

No Andy.....its planned for next year anyway........I unfortunately crashed it a couple of weeks ago....my fault... doing a farmborough pass flat out at zero feet and caught a wing tip.....considering the speed, i was surprised how little damage there was

Lima Hotel Foxtrot15/08/2019 14:10:34
390 forum posts

it probably goes against the whole ethos of EDF, but how easy would your jets be to adapt for prop jet?

Tony Nijhuis06/01/2020 09:47:49
609 forum posts
233 photos

Well it took 6 months to rebuild (not because i'm slowcheeky) but retested the EE Lightning yesterday having removed the complicated Aileron control and reverting to tailerons......a much easier servo installation and simple to set up......the results were it still had great althourity but the full roll was much slower.....mind you that's no bad thing as the aileron version was a little too rapid on the roll.....

light.jpg

lightning.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!