Forum sponsored by CML

Ripmax ARTF stocks

Low stocks at on-line retailers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Pearce 410/06/2019 15:44:26
312 forum posts
37 photos

I was just looking around at my favourite retailers and noticed that there are very few Ripmax ARTFs in stock, particularly WOT4s.

Is this a worry or just temporary?

paul coleman 110/06/2019 16:38:45
117 forum posts

I was thinking the same myself david,i am wanting a sig model,in which pegasus models have hardly any in stock,i wonder if the market is on a downhill spiral!!

John Lee10/06/2019 16:42:49
655 forum posts
48 photos

It's happened before over the last few years, often around this time, I remember Clubmates hoping to buy them at Weston Park and being unsuccessful. I'm sure the shops will be flooded with them again when the next container arrives from the production in China. Feast or famine.

Nigel R10/06/2019 16:55:09
3099 forum posts
479 photos

I seem to remember reading that Ripmax have been doing some internal financial reorganisation, which might have affected their ability to keep things moving smoothly.

Percy Verance10/06/2019 18:19:55
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I can see some of the big model suppliers/distributors holding back until at least next year, to see what transpires after the upcoming registration farce takes effect....... the hobby is bound to take a hit.

Just buy a kit direct from Chris Foss. A Wot 4 airframe can easily be built inside a couple of weeks. And probably much sooner if you stick at it........they're one of the easiest/straightforward models to build. A kit one will be stronger than the artf too......

www.chrisfoss.co.uk

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/06/2019 18:44:00

Lima Hotel Foxtrot12/06/2019 10:53:14
351 forum posts

My LMS Addlestone Models has ARTF Wots of various flavours, and even a foamy Acro Wot!

Given the current paucity of Ripmax stock, it’s probably best to do a more thorough search than just your usual shopping places to find what you want.

SIMON CRAGG12/06/2019 11:48:19
473 forum posts
15 photos

Its not just Ripmax. Have a look at HK, virtually everything on back order!.

Nightflyer12/06/2019 13:14:58
186 forum posts

Many companies not just in modelling but other industries are in a similar vein. Part of this is the impact of Brexit or rather as a consequence of the delay in Brexit. Some organisations built up buffer stocks to cover a period of a few months while others delayed making decisions on placing orders to await what impact on costs Brexit had. I suspect things might settle down by September ahead of the next planned Brexit - oh and there goes summer for another year.

When all else fails DIY - build from a British kit or plan.

alex nicol12/06/2019 13:20:55
295 forum posts
13 photos

In the challenging times in which we live, suppliers can't afford to have vast sums tied up in stock and are gradually moving towards a supply to order or a just in time stock replenishment particularly on larger/expensive items.

Suppliers, Shops etc just don't carry the stock they used to and it's not just the modelling fraternity.

Percy Verance12/06/2019 13:36:20
8108 forum posts
155 photos

No, it certainly isn't Alex. I like a particular type/style of short sleeved casual shirt offered by M & S, but at the moment stocks seem non existent. Even online, their stocks of the most popular sizes seem low. Again, probably for the same reasons you cited.

At the risk of repeating myself, I forsee difficulties obtaining certain items we've all been so accustomed to obtaining readily............particularly some modelling items on the back of the changes our hobby is about to go through..

And yes, as far as some models/artf's go. As suggested above, if you can't get what you're after, then consider building the kit or plan version instead if that option is there.

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/06/2019 13:41:46

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/06/2019 13:45:31

Tim Flyer12/06/2019 14:36:46
1072 forum posts
193 photos

I have also noticed this . There are very few ARTFs around now. I think it might be related to earlier this year when there was a major RC company in financial difficulty. That has probably caused major supply cuts . As Percy says it might be time to get the glue out . Trouble is for many, they don’t have the time. Anyway I have always fancied a clipped wing Chipmunk and the SLEC kit is looking more attractive to me by the day😉

alex nicol12/06/2019 15:09:38
295 forum posts
13 photos

Percy,

What I posted is my opinion based on many years experience within supply chain and service industries. The model industry is no different to any other. If demand drops financial constraints tighten and this action will cause the supplier to review their costs.

Such review could result in a supply to order and/or actually reduce the amount of lines offered. This in turn could mean slow moving items are sacrificed to make way for faster churning more profitable lines.

I could go on at length about the various factors which could affect things but, I think we'd all loose the will to live if I did.

One area wher I absolutely agree with you is if you can't buy it artf then build it.

Happy Flying

Percy Verance12/06/2019 15:55:37
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Tim

Not as large as the SLEC offering, I quite like the look of the Phoenix Model Products Chipmunk. Electric of course, it's 50 odd inch span and so makes a good *car boot* model. I can personally vouch for the quality of these reasonably priced kits, as I bought three of Stan's kits last year. It seems the Chipmunk has been a popular choice, as Stan says they've been selling as fast as he can produce them. And that's another bonus. If you have a problem with the kit (unlikely), you can pick up the phone and speak to the man who designed it. Stan Himself.

Tim Flyer12/06/2019 20:03:24
1072 forum posts
193 photos

Cheers Percy thanks for the information I will certainly take a look 😊

Percy Verance12/06/2019 20:43:36
8108 forum posts
155 photos

It's nowhere near the size of the SLEC job Tim, but that has (cost!) benefits. And if it flies as well as Stan's designs usually do, it'll be a winner. You can examine a download of the plan plus the build instructions on the Phoenix site too Tim, if you fancy a look. Simple but effective eh?

i12fly12/06/2019 21:13:10
561 forum posts
21 photos

After seeing this thread on Monday, I did a count up of HK aircraft models (i.e. not including spare parts etc) stock against what they advertise - it seems a bit concerning to me although I haven't got a benchmark from say a year ago:

UK models listed 96

UK actual in stock 66 (68.8%)

All Global, EU and UK listed 235

All Global, EU and UK in stock 119 (50.6%)

Stocks of micro & Sub-micro aircraft servos is also very poor: -and pricey too.

Nigel Dell12/06/2019 22:12:14
377 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 10/06/2019 16:38:45:

I was thinking the same myself david,i am wanting a sig model,in which pegasus models have hardly any in stock,i wonder if the market is on a downhill spiral!!

In the case of Sig kits, they did have a fire in the saw mill on site which maybe the cause of slow manufacture although I thought it was settling down now.

brokenenglish13/06/2019 06:58:04
463 forum posts
29 photos

I think maybe the trade, at all levels, is anticipating (fearing) a significant drop in model building/flying activity, as a result of ridiculous restrictive (drone) legislation that is being discussed/implemented in a number of countries.

Nightflyer13/06/2019 12:52:00
186 forum posts

Some good comments for sure and yes aside from Brexit, the ridiculous restrictive registration legislation and of course exchange rates on world trade to the artf (and for that matter any other parts modelling related) it is disconcerting the current state of affairs.

I was at my club's monthly club night last night and we were talking about future meeting chats/fun/knowlede sharing. One of the subjects that came up was 'what about building models from plans?' It was freely acknowledged that a sizeable number of the membership had moved to the ARTF camp, although a number of us were v much still build from plan, kit, own design, and 3D print models. It was interesting as looking at the membership I am possibly one of the youngest members (now approaching mid 50's) and most of the ARTF camp were those of close to, or pensionable age, which is also a sad reflection how we struggle to get younger modellers these days.

Perhaps we should be less worried about getting ARTF's and more concerned about losing the art of building from kit or plan. I am not anti ARTF in fact it is fair to say there some excellent quality models to choose from, but it shows that people are losing some of their modelling skills.

Nigel R13/06/2019 13:49:24
3099 forum posts
479 photos

Its the commercial dream, isn't it? Express yourself by choosing which thing to buy.

Not by what you do or what you craft.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us