Forum sponsored by CML

Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J11/06/2019 11:09:49
1441 forum posts
44 photos

BMFA article.

There is some interesting stuff in the written evidence.

Steve

Edited By Steve J on 11/06/2019 11:10:22

Nigel R11/06/2019 11:59:22
3048 forum posts
475 photos

Worth noting DJI recommend that the US cost of $5 per three year period is about right, and the UK projected £10-£15 per year is too much and will likely result in a high degree of non-registration.

Cuban811/06/2019 12:33:12
2709 forum posts
13 photos

IMO a flawed submission from a Mr Clarke a PPL currently requiring re-validation...........just what we need.

"in general drones (quadcopters) are at least as safe, if not safer, in the airspace and to the public on the ground than ‘model aircraft’ (Vis fixed wing and helicopters). They are in the main lighter, smaller and slower than many model aircraft and easier to control. In addition all recreational and commercial drones are battery powered thus eliminating the risk of carrying volatile fuels"

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/06/2019 12:34:18

Martin Harris11/06/2019 13:44:17
8795 forum posts
215 photos

I'm going to try to find time to watch more of the debate but a few minutes cherry picking shows that the RAeS CEO made some excellent observations, supported by the DJI representative at around 11.00

Let's hope some of this gets through to the legislators - all debate seems to be centring on the safety aspects rather than looking at any pressure to clear lower airspace for commercial reasons...quite how those interests will exert their influence in the face of what seems fairly reasoned argument against high cost registration and the effectiveness of registration and electronic identification against malicious intent remains to be seen.

Martin Harris11/06/2019 13:48:23
8795 forum posts
215 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 11/06/2019 12:33:12:

IMO a flawed submission from a Mr Clarke a PPL currently requiring re-validation...........just what we need.

"in general drones (quadcopters) are at least as safe, if not safer, in the airspace and to the public on the ground than ‘model aircraft’ (Vis fixed wing and helicopters). They are in the main lighter, smaller and slower than many model aircraft and easier to control. In addition all recreational and commercial drones are battery powered thus eliminating the risk of carrying volatile fuels"

By his reasoning, light aircraft must be even less safe as they are heavier, larger, faster and carry vastly more (and often more volatile) fuel than any model.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/06/2019 14:03:36

Steve J11/06/2019 14:13:06
1441 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 11/06/2019 11:59:22:

Worth noting DJI recommend that the US cost of $5 per three year period is about right, and the UK projected £10-£15 per year is too much and will likely result in a high degree of non-registration.

Yes, not a bad submission by DJI:

"if there was to be an annual charge of £10-£15, there is a real risk that many would not sign up to this. For context, the US charges $5 per person every three years for the same service. DJI would therefore urge Government to contemplate statutory co-funding of such a scheme (e.g. as part of the forthcoming Drones Bill)."

Of the submissions that I read, I found the Blighter one to be the most interesting.

Steve

Steve J11/06/2019 17:26:40
1441 forum posts
44 photos

There is a transcript of this morning's session.

I love this exchange.

CAA chap: The Government consulted last year on the proposal to create a registration scheme and to include model aircraft. In its 7 January response, it was clear that it expected model aircraft to be part of the scheme.

Gavin Robinson MP: Yes, but the Government also stood on a manifesto that said there was no need for unnecessary regulation, so I am wondering about the necessity to include model aircraft in this registration scheme.

Steve

Nigel R11/06/2019 18:07:15
3048 forum posts
475 photos

Richard Parker: Just that a UTM is a critical component in levelling the playing field for everybody. It provides the same access to the sky, whether you are Amazon or anyone else.

Q86 Martin Docherty-Hughes: Yes, but Amazon is going to make a fortune out of this. What are companies like Amazon going to put into the system?

Richard Parker: There are many different use cases for drones. Amazon and its drone deliveries is but one.

Q87 Martin Docherty-Hughes: So they won’t be putting anything into it. My worry is that Amazon is going to get a lot of work done for it and yet is paying nothing into the system.

Nigel R11/06/2019 18:12:50
3048 forum posts
475 photos

They also got quite a heated exchange with DJI over the Chinese security agency being able to get any and all data that a DJI device transmits.

Apparently it could be a national security problem if a DJI drone videos something interesting and it ends up being sent over the internet to the intelligence services in PRC.

Interesting.

john stones 111/06/2019 18:13:34
10578 forum posts
1480 photos

**LINK**

Nigel R11/06/2019 20:45:01
3048 forum posts
475 photos

Ah, excellent. Good to see the least useful point during the exchange being picked up on.

Cuban812/06/2019 07:31:06
2709 forum posts
13 photos

On iPlayer if you missed it. Not watched it fully myself yet. **LINK**

Peter Miller12/06/2019 08:17:48
10164 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

I am reminded of an old saying that applies to many politicians and civil servants (And a lot of other people as well) which always worries me.

"I have made up my mind. Do not try and confuse me wth the facts!"

Chris Berry12/06/2019 08:51:07
133 forum posts
1 photos

The view I would take now is to say we've lost the battle but we don't want to lose the war.

So, I;d say lets aim for a one off fee and one off test, the same as you have for cars, PPLs, etc.

michael matthews 212/06/2019 14:08:17
3 forum posts

FWIW . The Dft. could not organise the change to railway timetables without messing it up. The Caa has decimated the Air Display scene, So now Model Flyers are next in line.

The figures plucked from the ether, how did they arrive at the amount of flyers concerned to come up with a cost of £16.50 when the very people that are likely to be the problem will not register anyway. So what will next years cost be, given that less fees will be collected.

Members of the BMFA are already well regulated and do not fly in built up areas as we need a take off and landing place. We have a good safety record, we are insured, we have a proficiency scheme in place, so what are we getting for the £16.50 ?

I only hope that the Caa have only paid a deposit on the software to run the scheme, as it will be very expensive to run given the likely reduction in people registering in the future.

I hope that common sense will prevail

MIke

Old Geezer12/06/2019 16:16:13
611 forum posts

Balanced report of the Committee in The Times, sadly the kicker is in the last paragraph - the Beastly Baroness has obviously either not listened to the facts relating to our models, or had already made up her tiny mind that drones and r.c. model aircraft are one and the same thing.

quote: Baronesse Vere of Norbiton, the aviation minister, has said that the registration scheme will increase accountability for operators of unmanned aircraft, all of which pose safety threats.

There are none so deaf as those those that will not hear.

Nigel R12/06/2019 16:28:50
3048 forum posts
475 photos
Posted by michael matthews 2 on 12/06/2019 14:08:17:

so what are we getting for the £16.50 ?

A nice, virtual, internet based, rubber stamp.

A small amount of our life wasted obtaining said stamp.

Of course, not to forget, like every other resident of Britain, we will all be an awful lot safer.

Doc Marten12/06/2019 16:29:04
370 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by michael matthews 2 on 12/06/2019 14:08:17:

FWIW . The Dft. could not organise the change to railway timetables without messing it up. The Caa has decimated the Air Display scene, So now Model Flyers are next in line.

The figures plucked from the ether, how did they arrive at the amount of flyers concerned to come up with a cost of £16.50 when the very people that are likely to be the problem will not register anyway. So what will next years cost be, given that less fees will be collected.

Members of the BMFA are already well regulated and do not fly in built up areas as we need a take off and landing place. We have a good safety record, we are insured, we have a proficiency scheme in place, so what are we getting for the £16.50 ?

I only hope that the Caa have only paid a deposit on the software to run the scheme, as it will be very expensive to run given the likely reduction in people registering in the future.

I hope that common sense will prevail

MIke

You've not read these threads through have you Michael?

Edited By Doc Marten on 12/06/2019 16:29:56

Nigel R12/06/2019 16:32:07
3048 forum posts
475 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/06/2019 08:17:48:

"I have made up my mind. Do not try and confuse me wth the facts!"

The very antithesis of science.

Steve J12/06/2019 17:27:08
1441 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Old Geezer on 12/06/2019 16:16:13:

the Beastly Baroness has obviously either not listened to the facts relating to our models, or had already made up her tiny mind that drones and r.c. model aircraft are one and the same thing.

I don't see how comments like this help our case. The big decisions were made long before Baroness Vere joined the DfT. At this point the only things in the DfT/CAA's gift are the funding model and the mechanics of the system, e.g. whether or not there is an interface to the BMFA membership system.

Anyway, it's a shame that the BMFA were not invited to give oral evidence to the committee. If ARPAS were there, then I think that the BMFA should have been as well.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us