Forum sponsored by CML

Dambusters Raid

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris15/06/2019 21:06:25
8552 forum posts
214 photos
Posted by thomas oliver 1 on 13/06/2019 20:35:57:

Not much seems to be recorded about the history of 617 Sq. after the Dams raid.

Although it probably wouldn't be considered a heavyweight historical record, my copy of Paul Brickhill's The Dam Busters (Pan Books paperback) devotes about 150 of its 250 odd pages to 617's post Chastise operations

Martin McIntosh17/06/2019 21:04:26
2829 forum posts
1050 photos

Martin H, you beat me to it. This is a fascinating book and, as you say, devotes most of the text to what they did after the dams raid. Obviously a lot of it is guessed at since this did not become declassified until 1993 (50 years after). Lots about a new type of bomb sight which could not be named at the time but I would think that it was the Sperry bomb sight computer to enable accurate dropping of the Tallboys and Grand Slams.

I visited the Mohne and Eder dams in 1975 when I went to Switzerland to spectate at the F3A world champs, spending the next week in Germany. You could just about make out where the repairs were made. They are a major tourist attraction. I do not speak German but the captions to the photos of Guy Gibson there were obviously none too complimentary.

Jon, I have lent my copy of Paul Brickhill`s `The Dambusters` to Sid in our club but if you ask I am sure that he would let you have it.

J D 817/06/2019 22:04:46
1168 forum posts
75 photos

The bombsite use by 617 squadron was similar but more sophisticated than the Sperry. It was called the SABS, Stabilizing Automatic Bomb Site. It took in information supplied from most of the crew to the bomb aimer.

Only 617 operated it as it took a lot of practice and skill to get results. Another problem was the aircraft had to have a ten mile straight and level run to the target, not nice when someone is shooting at you.

With allied local air superiority, to get all aircraft over the target in as short a time as possible 617 would circle the target like Indians around a waggon train and at a given signal all head for the target. Aircraft would fly at different levels and a slight time delay so as not to collide and hopefully not drop bombs on one another.

Martin McIntosh17/06/2019 22:46:38
2829 forum posts
1050 photos

I mistakenly thought that SABS meant Sperry Automatic Bomb Sight. When I was a kid (still am at heart) you could buy all sorts of things like these as war surplus. Full of motors and gears.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us