Forum sponsored by CML

Junior 60 (Flair)

Wing centre section question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 114/06/2019 18:58:01
377 forum posts
14 photos

I am building the above ,I am no builder and easily confused! I find this plan really hard to read and the 2 page manual I am sure is for a flat bottomed wing!!!!!

Any way, thought I would start with the centre section, this has 3 6.5mm ribs,with flat bottoms,the wing ribs are concave. Ribs have 2 lower spars and a upper. I have build the centre section with the spars at the bottom of the ribs BUT having just looked at builds on here for tips on the wing build, I have seen that the lower spars are NOT flush to ribs BUT inset.

Why is that? if they are all flush is the fit at fuse not better?

need help already.

brokenenglish14/06/2019 20:02:41
427 forum posts
28 photos

You don't need help. I think you've understood the plan, you just need to build it and stop "wondering", it's been flying great like that since 1955.

As you can see, in the two wings, the rear spar is raised above the building board, because of the undercamber (that you are calling "concave".

Joining the two wings through the centre section needs that rear spar to be continuous, to obtain strong joints and also to enable the ply joining braces to be properly located on the spars.

As you've noticed, the centre section ribs are flat-bottomed, for optimum seating on the fuselage but, for the reasons mentioned above (spar continuity), the rear spar remains at the same height as in the undercambered wings, i.e. it's raised a little above the building board.

Just build it the way the man said, it's a great piece of design work.

Mike Etheridge 114/06/2019 21:14:42
1502 forum posts
408 photos

Perhaps these pictures of the 1955 New Junior 60 which is the same as the Flair model might help ?

kk junior 60 (1).jpg 001 jr60.jpg

PatMc14/06/2019 23:45:27
4145 forum posts
518 photos

Hi Gary, the attached pics show the CS underside which is pretty much illustrates the previous replies from BE & Mike. Only real differences are the mods I made in order to use screws & pegs for wing retention instead of rubber bands.

Centre section (a)

Centre section (b)

I saw your query re the "Ultimate Hinges" but I'm a bit pushed for time, will try to answer it tomorrow.

Gary Murphy 115/06/2019 00:13:47
377 forum posts
14 photos

Brokenenglish, after reading your clear explaination I now see why the lower spar OR rear spar only is inset more into the CS.

I have glued the CSrear spar in already! when I build the wings I will have to see what I will need to re do/alter.

ken anderson.15/06/2019 09:33:21
8409 forum posts
772 photos

hello gary, build it as the plan says and then before you cover it decide how you are going to fit it to the fuz...bands or a bolt or two.....whichever way you decide you'll need to incorporate your changes to the fuz also....

ken anderson....ne...1....1946 albert hatfull ….JNR 60 design dept.

brokenenglish15/06/2019 11:14:12
427 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by ken anderson. on 15/06/2019 09:33:21:

ken anderson....ne...1....1946 albert hatfull ….JNR 60 design dept.

Ken, I would never dare argue with a Geordie, but I'm in a nit-picking mood... We're not discussing the 1946 AEH J60, but the 1955 update. The problem raised by the OP doesn't occur on the first version because it doesn't have a rear spar.
Sorryembarrassed

ken anderson.15/06/2019 14:11:17
8409 forum posts
772 photos

Apologies broken english.my fault...……..

ken anderson...ne..1...1946/1955 dept.

Gary Murphy 119/06/2019 22:42:48
377 forum posts
14 photos

PatMc, waskind enough to post pictures of the wing centre section because I was having probs with the construction. Now I am bringing the panels together I am not sure if its right? I have made a mistake with the lower spars ,i put them flush not recessed,i will relocate them.

So the centre section ribs are flat,the wings are concave, if the covering attaches to the lower spars ,hoe do you get a neat transition at the step. The covering can not touch the flat rib at meet the first bit of the wing spars.

i do not know what happens in the area/style of wing

dscn0881.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us