Forum sponsored by CML

Aliphatic glues

sanding

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 115/06/2019 08:43:03
378 forum posts
14 photos

Following tips and builds etc, it seems Aliphatic glue is a good choice. I have seen the very thing stuff used to wick into tight joins.

My LHS had Deluxe models Aliphatic (but white?) and Super phatic. Got both.

i have found the Super phatic not good to sand, it seems very rubbery , have i used to much or not allowed enough time? i used straight from the fine nozzle like CA.

Ernie15/06/2019 09:36:14
2513 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Gary, I reckon the sanding problem is an aliphatic thing. I do use it from time to time, but only when I need to move things about a bit, as it dries slowly

Why not try cyano, The thin stuff dries instantly, with absolutely no sanding problems. The thicker ones are a bit slower, but no sanding problems

ernie

flight115/06/2019 10:07:27
630 forum posts
33 photos

I use super phatic for fine joints , it penatrates a bit and tend to leave it over night ( if the joint is too tight then it won't wick in the joint), also I don't use that much so it fillets/beeds the joint as thats not doing anythig . also i find it slightly rubbery so don't use it for jobs that need sanding afterwards, I perfer it to syno as no fumes.

I use aliphatic glue for skinning/ scarf joints, sheeting etc as its stronger and sands ok

all these glue have thier best aplications they are suited to.

George P.15/06/2019 10:13:19
33 forum posts
12 photos

I use these glues a lot and find them very good. With the Superphatic, I use enough to soak in, allow it to dry then add some more if needed later. After each use I dry the area ( not the joint) with kitchen towel to avoid any problems later with sanding. Most of the time I use aliphatic but the Superphatic definitely has its uses and is good on some hinges/plastics/foam.

Peter Miller15/06/2019 11:34:39
10271 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

I use DeLuxe Aliphatic for all normal building, IT sands OK and much better than ordinary PVA.

The Superphatic is intended for wicking in to joints

Jon Robb15/06/2019 19:56:35
35 forum posts
2 photos

I use a lot of Titebond glue for models and other wood working pursuits. I find it sands very well, this too is an aliphatic glue so it could be down to the brand.

Doc Marten15/06/2019 20:13:21
378 forum posts
4 photos

Gorilla white wood glue is also sandable and reasonably priced.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us