By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
iqon18/06/2019 22:33:27
1462 forum posts
239 photos

Is this the chap on the bike with no brakes fitted

PatMc18/06/2019 23:06:01
4220 forum posts
521 photos
Posted by Dave Cunnington on 18/06/2019 18:56:52:

This is about as crazy as the carpenter using a broom and told not to do so by H & S because of the health hazard of inhaling sawdust - he was told he needed to buy an electric vacuum cleaner at £2K

...and also today Harriet Harman on the BBC was quoted as saying that arresting mothers (presumably justifiably) shouldn't happen because it infringed the mother's childrens Human Rights !

What do I know ...glad to be old in this current climate

If you're referring to this Telegraph article it's presented as suggesting that the HSE are making unrealistic demands on businesses, which the HSE spokesman makes clear, is not true.

It's a pity the HSE wasn't in existence when the use of asbestos was widespread.

...and also I don't think Harriet Harman said anything of the kind - BBC News article.

Still, never mind the facts when there's a couple of good stories to bandy around.

Peter Miller19/06/2019 08:37:35
10246 forum posts
1225 photos
10 articles

I live in a country lane which is the local dog walk which is only wide enough for one car. It is common to see the dog walkers staring at their screens BUT

the other morning one woman was walking down the road with her dog while she was staring at her screen. She glanced up as I came down the road and then back at her screen and never looked up again. Her dog could have swung out in front of the car or she could have wandered off line.

I have had a dash cam for years ever since more than once people came round a bend coming out of the village on my side of the road.

Jon - Laser Engines19/06/2019 09:18:51
4825 forum posts
180 photos

I think it all boils down to the fact that we now live in the world where noone is prepared to accept any responsibility for anything and stupidity is rewarded. If something bad happens to you, its always someone else's fault.

I was once told that you are never a victim without your own permission and a great deal of the time i believe that to be true. If you spill coffee on yourself and burn your hand, that is your fault. You cant blame the coffee shop for not telling you it was hot as coffee usually is...although, apparently you can as stupidity is rewarded these days and it can make you a boat load of money. A bunch of people got squished as they ran blindly into roads playing pokemon go. For those not in the know pokemon go was an augmented reality (animated stuff overlaid on the real world viewed through the phone camera) game on your phone where you had to chase and catch these various creatures. It was intended to get kids out of the house. Worked well, until they ran straight in the road or down seedy back alley's and got mugged. It wasnt just kids either, i think plenty of adults were mown down and protested that they were the victim for being struck down without mercy while playing a game.

I would dearly love to have a common sense official who simply throws out all nonsense claims from the justice system to prevent this sort of stupidity from being entertained.

If we consider the case in the OP to be a 50/50 fault then surely noone gets compensated? you were both to blame so chalk it up to life experience a move on.

wingcoax19/06/2019 09:48:35
49 forum posts

Also recently, A woman walked into the road whilst staring at her phone and was knocked down by a cyclist. The judge said she was only!! 50 percent to blame as the cyclist should have seen her coming. He was knocked out for a few minutes. She got several thousand in compensation.

Doc Marten19/06/2019 11:57:18
377 forum posts
4 photos

How can this be 50/50 blame?

The cyclist was well within the speed limit, his bike is road legal, he is not known as an aggressive rider, he warned the pedestrian of his presence and there were 3 witnesses stating that the pedestrian was not looking as she crossed the road, she was knocked unconscious as was the rider.........

Peter Miller19/06/2019 11:57:24
10246 forum posts
1225 photos
10 articles

I just got back from shopping this morning. Coming down my quiet country lane. My car is not particulalry quiet as it iw powerfed by a twin cylinder 600 cc dumper truck engine.

A youngish bloke (about 25) walking down the road with his dog off the lead and his I player plugged into his ears.

I ended up a few feet behind him before he realised I was creeping along him and he made a grab for his dog.

Other people are not so considerate to dog walkers and the vans etc don't slow down at all.

I think I need to fit windtones on my car!!

Jon - Laser Engines19/06/2019 12:04:39
4825 forum posts
180 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/06/2019 11:57:24:

I think I need to fit windtones on my car!!

or, you could try this. It seems quite effective

Don Fry19/06/2019 13:00:23
4041 forum posts
45 photos

Back to the original case. Bunch of pedestrians cross the road, including one pre lemming looking at phone. Once crossing they have right of way by the way. Cyclist then goes into a narrow gap behind them, at speed, shouting and sounding an air horn. Assuming the gap would be open by the time he got there. Bear in mind he has not got right of way. The prelemming on phone saw him at the last moment. Panicked, and tried to dodge, but moved the wrong way.

Two idiots on road, with injuries. One idiot gets a 50/50judgement. Bike idiot did not counter sue it seems.

No news here, just the Daily Wail and others trying to wind their followers up.

And yes, an idiot filter to discourage such trash going to courts and wasting our money has some appeal.

Percy did, in a post above, gives a correct and sensible reaction in a similar situation, applied brakes, no collision.

Peter Miller19/06/2019 13:40:14
10246 forum posts
1225 photos
10 articles

I did actually fit windtones to my last Reliant. They worked really well, sounded like a big truck.

Two classic examples, a lady pulling out of a side road after delivering her brats to school. A gentleman in a big Volve Estate who thought the could back out of a parking space 'cos he wasn't waiting for a Reliant.

They both beat a hurried retreat!!

Jon - Laser Engines19/06/2019 13:48:55
4825 forum posts
180 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 19/06/2019 13:00:23:

Once crossing they have right of way by the way. Cyclist then goes into a narrow gap behind them, at speed, shouting and sounding an air horn. Assuming the gap would be open by the time he got there. Bear in mind he has not got right of way.

Do they have right of way? i cant see that just stepping into traffic gives you a right of way?

I remember when learning to drive that i was told pedestrians walking on a road i have not joined yet (ie, turning right/left into a road and they are already on it) have right of way but i dont think they are allowed to just throw themselves into the road. Cars/bikes joining the road have to give way to cars already on it and that if i was to pull out and force them to slow down or take avoiding action i had infringed on their right of way. It seemed totally logical to me i have to say.

Pedestrians certainly have right of way at crossings which is why we should stop at them.

Martin Harris19/06/2019 15:08:59
8868 forum posts
221 photos

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing to me. From the description above, the pedestrian took insufficient care and the cyclist acted recklessly. The pedestrian was hit by a reckless cyclist and was therefore entitled to claim and the award was reduced because the pedestrian could have taken better avoiding action if she had been properly aware of her surroundings.

Sadly, both careless pedestrians and reckless cyclists are all too common.

Doc Marten19/06/2019 15:28:36
377 forum posts
4 photos

Has someone got a factual link to this?

Doc Marten19/06/2019 15:38:10
377 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/06/2019 13:48:55:

Pedestrians certainly have right of way at crossings which is why we should stop at them.

Correct Jon, if pedestrians always and automatically have right of way on the highway there would be no need for 'pedestrian' crossings.

Don Fry19/06/2019 16:18:23
4041 forum posts
45 photos

Pedestrians already "established" i.e. Crossing the road have right of way. Common law. And bye the bye, the lemming in question was in a group who had already nearly crossed, not darters into the road.

Anyway, I'm out. As Martin so wisely put it, a fuss about nothing, and I am wasting no more time.

G-JIMG19/06/2019 16:39:06
79 forum posts
9 photos

Unfortunately, because of incidents such as this, the cost of making the world idiot proof will, once again, be borne by the tax payer. Germany has already started introducing 'Repeater Lights' at crossings and traffic lights that shine the relevant coloured light on the kerb, in an attempt to attract the attention of the phone zombies. The measure is expected to be rolled out across the entire EU.

For the case under discussion, the report I read stated the Cyclist had passed through a Green light (a rare event on its own) before the collision, so presumably the pedestrian was that intent on her phone she was dawdling along when she should have been concentrating on the task in hand.

Doc Marten19/06/2019 17:22:29
377 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 19/06/2019 16:18:23:

Pedestrians already "established" i.e. Crossing the road have right of way. Common law. And bye the bye, the lemming in question was in a group who had already nearly crossed, not darters into the road.

Anyway, I'm out. As Martin so wisely put it, a fuss about nothing, and I am wasting no more time.

You appear to have detailed information on the circumstances, care to share the source?

Nigel R19/06/2019 17:25:55
3099 forum posts
479 photos

"Sadly, both careless pedestrians and reckless cyclists are all too common."

I must drive on different roads to you.

Darwin would make short work of reckless cyclists; vs any other item of traffic the net result isn't in favour of said cyclist's continued enjoyment of earthly delights.

Jury's out on careless pedestrians. My favourite (?) type is mums (and dads, to avoid accusations of sexism) who push a traffic detector into the road (baby in pushchair) before looking to see if said road is clear.

Don Fry19/06/2019 17:53:32
4041 forum posts
45 photos

I did say, I'm out, but source for "facts"is the Daily Wail. The writer did its best to shift the truth, but in fairness, did put some facts in, but to quote a famous comedian, but nit necessarily in the right order. Read carefully. Knowledge of the law, used to be my job.

for nit, read not

Edited By Don Fry on 19/06/2019 17:54:26

Doc Marten19/06/2019 18:02:08
377 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 19/06/2019 17:22:29:
Posted by Don Fry on 19/06/2019 16:18:23:

You appear to have detailed information on the circumstances, care to share the source?

Ah.......I guess i should've known your source really, The Guardian.

So it seems that the precedent in the UK from now on is that if you ride or drive past a signal in your favour, under the speed limit, give warning and actively try to avoid a pedestrian that crosses the road against a signal and not checking the way is clear whilst being impaired by using a mobile or personal HiFi, then you are equally at fault for the accident?

How's that, "a fuss about nothing"?

Edited By Doc Marten on 19/06/2019 18:17:02

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us