Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ASP etc gone

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel R24/06/2019 23:02:17
3066 forum posts
475 photos

Mecca are an old stock operation not an active manufacturer.

Caution, second hand info, gleaned from horror stories on us forums.

kevin b24/06/2019 23:10:56
1666 forum posts
134 photos

Yes they appear to buy up old stock from defunct shops and old collections. whatever they can find.

I have dealt with them and had good results, but that was a while ago.

Talk about quick off the mark. I have just seen a new in box ASP 32 for sale on ebay at £59.99. £3.00 more than the current list price !

Percy Verance25/06/2019 05:32:04
8108 forum posts
155 photos

And it might be worth even more now as spares Kevin........

Mecoa -  Model Engine Corporation OAmerica, have been around for a while, although just how much of the stuff they claim to hold in stock is actually there, god knows. As far as I'm aware there are still some model engine producers in the US. Jett are perhaps the most well known......very high quality, high performance engines. Not cheap, but the aeromodelling equivalent of an F1 engine I'd have thought. Interesting that one has the choice of a cast or machined crankcase..........

www.dubjett.com

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/06/2019 05:40:54

David Davis25/06/2019 05:36:24
3399 forum posts
598 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 25/06/2019 05:32:04:

Yes and prices on eBay for small four-strokes have gone up too.

The day after I wreck my 52 Surpass! angry

Denis Watkins25/06/2019 07:07:13
3884 forum posts
60 photos

I recently got an ASP52 2 stroke, new in a box £45 delivered

There were very few bidders

Nigel R25/06/2019 07:10:24
3066 forum posts
475 photos

There are very few of us out there buying new small two stroke glows Denis. Fill your boots.

Mvvs no longer do glow.

Novarossi still there and available from planethobby.

kevin b25/06/2019 10:41:28
1666 forum posts
134 photos
Posted by David Davis on 25/06/2019 05:36:24:
Posted by Percy Verance on 25/06/2019 05:32:04:

Yes and prices on eBay for small four-strokes have gone up too.

The day after I wreck my 52 Surpass! angry

Here you go David.

**LINK**

will -025/06/2019 11:01:14
558 forum posts
19 photos

**LINK**

if you can't be rsd with the bidding thing

IIRC I bought my first 52 surpass for £50 on fleabay although that was probably 15 years ago now.

The same engine was pulling my SE5a around last weekend.

Edited By will -0 on 25/06/2019 11:06:34

will -025/06/2019 11:11:35
558 forum posts
19 photos

In fact, looking back at fleabay engines I've acquired over the years, I think prices have gone up not down which would rather contradict their apparent decline in popularity.

Edited By will -0 on 25/06/2019 11:24:15

Jon - Laser Engines25/06/2019 11:27:00
4801 forum posts
179 photos

In some cases i agree will.

I was looking at some multi cylinder glow engines that were for sale on ebay and they were reaching the same sorts of prices they were when they were new. It did surprise me a bit. I assume its down to people collecting them?

On the subject of collecting, i know a great many people have new in box Enya VT240's in their collections. Trying to buy one of these engines is almost impossible as prices are stupid. Could it be that in a few years these engines will become cheap? a 40cc glow engine with air bleed carbs in 2025 might look all kinds of stupid. And given the demographic of most of these collectors, is it possible there will be a flood of glow engines on to the 2nd hand market as these collections are sold off? Time will tell i suppose.

In the event that it happens i will be on the look out for all kinds of multi cylinder motors :D

Cuban825/06/2019 12:31:51
2727 forum posts
13 photos

I suppose that we've witnessed a kind of 'natural selection' take place and as in the animal kingdom, species do die out when circumstances change. Two stroke glows took a hiding when practical electrics were introduced into trainer and sports aircraft. Moreover, the proliferation of foam designs that are not really suitable for IC work also took their toll on the sales of smallish two stroke glows that hitherto were the go-to solution for the beginner's old style F/W trainer. The risng price of glowfuel and noise issues were also problematic for larger 2st glows. A friend could easily do a gallon of fuel in a day's flying with his thirsty ASP108 IIRC.

Four stroke glows have fared better and have hung on because of their popularity with more experienced modellers and this is where the OS clones have scored up to recently. A reasonable chinese engine on the lines of a far more costly Japanese example was seen to offer good value for money when they were less half the price of the originals and buyers accepted the compomises on quality and power, but as the price gradually crept up, they became less attractive. I think I originally paid about £175 for my now ten years old ASP 120 FS (the equivallent OS being nearer £350 or so) but I wouldn't be prepared to pay the recent price that is nearer £250 - in my view they are simply not worth it.. It's a reasonable engine but not an OS by any stretch of the imagination. Fourstrokes have also suffered a decline to electric of course, but because of the ageing demgraphic and some newer flyers finding electric more to their taste or for other reasons (noise, cost, cleanliness, ease etc).

As luck would have it, I picked up a NIB OS120FS-e for £220, but I think I'd rather have paid extra and gone for a new OS given the extra power and quality if I hadn't got lucky on BMFA classifieds.

So we're in a position where new & reasonably inexpensive engines are not going to be available and that will leave the market to the likes of quality manufacturers i.e OS, Saito and (hopefully) Laser. Personally, I think the days of the glow engine are numbered, but not because electric is an alternative that has all the answers - a reliable petrol 4st (not just in the 20 - 30cc or bigger sizes BTW) has the potential for good sales to a section of the world-wide modelling community and I've been very impressed by a friend's Saito petrol 4st that runs well and importantly, sounds good. Less so a certain line of budget petrol 4st engines that have given the breed a bad name.

Interesting times, I wonder what the market will look like in 10 years?

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/06/2019 12:42:44

will -025/06/2019 12:56:25
558 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Jon, it's always possible. I haven't seen an enya twin for sale for years. The problem is, of course that sometimes the manufacturers stop making v twins ......devil

The other thing don't see any more is the Saito 30 open rocker. There used to be quite a regular supply but no more.

Jon - Laser Engines25/06/2019 14:16:25
4801 forum posts
179 photos

Cuban, im not sure small petrol engines will ever be really popular. If you take an acrowot as an example and wanted to fit a 70 there just isnt the room to fit the cdi unit and all the other gubbins. The model will be heavier as well with multiple batteries and the reduction in running costs will not offset the purchase price difference unless you fly it for about 10 years. That assumes you buy one in the first place as the glow version would be at least 100 quid cheaper. Would you pay over £300 for a 70? i doubt it.

If i ever get around to really testing it i would like to offer a 5% oil glow engine as it would be as clean as a petrol but with far less complexity and weight.

Will, yea well what can i say. Without resources im stuck.

Doc Marten25/06/2019 16:52:03
373 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2019 14:16:25

If i ever get around to really testing it i would like to offer a 5% oil glow engine as it would be as clean as a petrol but with far less complexity and weight.

I'll wait patiently for that treat Jon, we all know the supply issue is out of your hands, just keep turning out the quality you do whenever you can.

Jon - Laser Engines25/06/2019 17:00:27
4801 forum posts
179 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 25/06/2019 16:52:03:

I'll wait patiently for that treat Jon, we all know the supply issue is out of your hands, just keep turning out the quality you do whenever you can.

If you like Doc you can test it for me. The worst it will do is break the conrod. I dont intend any mechanical changes, only testing it sufficiently for me to be satisfied it wont break. I flew 2 of my own engines on 5% oil for a year without issues but i used up my supply of fuel.

David Davis25/06/2019 17:23:14
3399 forum posts
598 photos
If you like Doc you can test it for me. The worst it will do is break the conrod. I dont intend any mechanical changes, only testing it sufficiently for me to be satisfied it wont break. I flew 2 of my own engines on 5% oil for a year without issues but i used up my supply of fuel.

That says a lot for Laser Engines.

Our club mixes its own fuel. The first mix contained 11% oil. We have a lot of beginners in the club and they all use OS46 AXs in four channel ARTF trainers. After three of them had major engine problems we increased the oil content to 15% and we've had no further problems. Meanwhile my Irvine 40 powered trainer plodded on well on my own fuel containing 15% oil.

Of course the OS 46AX is a two-stroke...

Jon - Laser Engines25/06/2019 18:19:47
4801 forum posts
179 photos

10% oil should be fine for more or less everything. As i have said before, my nitro car runs are stupid rpm on 12% oil. I would like to do more 5% oil running but most of my warbirds will glide like bricks if the engine should fail. I will also loose my spinner and 5 inch ali spinners are rare as rocking horse poop at the moment. For these reasons i havent continued testing on my own models. Its daft really, the 180 petrol runs on 1% and i couldnt care less. I think its all in my head as it was fine on the other two.

I dont want to get off topic with oil chat though so we can start another thread if we fancy chewing the fat on that one

Cuban825/06/2019 18:21:20
2727 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2019 14:16:25:

Cuban, im not sure small petrol engines will ever be really popular. If you take an acrowot as an example and wanted to fit a 70 there just isnt the room to fit the cdi unit and all the other gubbins. The model will be heavier as well with multiple batteries and the reduction in running costs will not offset the purchase price difference unless you fly it for about 10 years. That assumes you buy one in the first place as the glow version would be at least 100 quid cheaper. Would you pay over £300 for a 70? i doubt it.

Will, yea well what can i say. Without resources im stuck.

I hear what you say Jon and agree that the extra gubbins needed with petrol engines can be a problem in smaller airframes. I reckon that a 10cc petrol 4st would be popular and Saito are hitting the mark with their slightly bigger FG 11. Quite well priced at a tad over £300 if you shop around. Seen a few of these flying WW1 scale and smaller scale types. A 120 petrol is a good useful size for your average club flier dabbling in practical everyday scale models. Just talking to club mates about the future and what people will be buying in a few years, glow doesn't figure very high. Myself, unless it's a bargain used example as I picked up recently ,I doubt if I'd sink a lot of money in to a new glow 4st.

Not sure you'd ever  convince modellers to run such small oil percentages,  far too conservative in that respect.  I know a few that still consider synthetic risky. I continue to get worried looks from club  mates when I tell  them I only use 15% oil Laser mix .With no trouble at all for the Iast couple of years, I might add. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/06/2019 18:33:35

Paul Marsh25/06/2019 19:42:35
3710 forum posts
1053 photos

At least I have around 500 engines spare!!! A 52 is for sale for £1000 if you want it!

I don't think OS are going to make glow engines for much longer, either. Also the price, over £400 for a .72 motor. No.

With ASP gone, SC and Magnum who used the same factory are kaput.

At least the Swap Meets will yield engines for a while yet...

SIMON CRAGG25/06/2019 19:43:55
442 forum posts
14 photos

Fuel will be the next problem!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us