Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Mercury Aeronca Sedan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Freeman 308/07/2019 06:20:04
225 forum posts
292 photos

Most fabric aurcraft have a ver distinctive fuselage to fin fillit that is all done with covering which I hope to do in Solartex.I have used balsa to build up the around the stab to supprt the covering.

as22.jpg

Chris Freeman 315/07/2019 06:14:05
225 forum posts
292 photos

Started covering, using some very old blue Solertex with newer Antique on the fuselage as I wanted to ensure better Adheasion and shrink. I diid use some Oracover Stick adheasive to help keep the covering in position. I will use 2 coats of Nitrate dope and then paint with 2k paint. The spats are made but only one sanded so far. I am very pleased with the way it looks so far.as26.jpgas28.jpgas30.jpg

Chris Freeman 315/07/2019 06:16:54
225 forum posts
292 photos

The wing center section was fully sheeted and the real one has stringers so I used the balsa craft trick and added masking tape under the covering to simulate the stringers.as27.jpg

brokenenglish15/07/2019 07:01:43
447 forum posts
32 photos

That's everso slightly superb. Lovely model.

Chris Freeman 322/07/2019 06:01:37
225 forum posts
292 photos

The Oldtimer meet is on Sunday so I have had to push to try and get the aircraft finished. Struts were made from 6mm x 20mm obeche sanded to shape with ali plates for attachment points and then covered with Solertex. The spats were also covered and then the whole airframe given 2 coates of Nitrate dope. The spraying was done outside and as luck would have it it was one of the coldest and windiest weekends of the year! The fuselage was given a coat of Sits Polly spray wich was used to give a even color for the blue. The blue was left over from the Mustang and is a 2k paint to covers very well. I spayned this on Saturday. Sunday morning was spent masking for the white and I noticed that the paint was lifting with the tape, not a good sign. I was going to spray the wing registration but decided against it due to this.

The White was sprayed and then the long anxous task of removing all the tape. I had a few areas that the paint was lifted and had to gently paint them with a brush. Lucky this is an Old timer and not a serious scale project. A mate gave me some matt plastic which looks good and hides the empty interior.as30.jpg as32.jpg

Chris Freeman 322/07/2019 06:04:03
225 forum posts
292 photos

The windscreen has screws to attach and looks good, I normally manage to get the glue allover so the screws are a neater option.as33.jpg as34.jpg

Colin Leighfield22/07/2019 22:31:07
5889 forum posts
2459 photos

That’s a great aeroplane Chris, should be a good day on Sunday.

Chris Freeman 323/07/2019 15:15:02
225 forum posts
292 photos

Thanks Colin, It is a nice build. Plans were very good for there age. Still a bit to do but should be ready to test fly before the event.

A casual day that we call our memorial day to remmember passed members and it is becoming a long list!

Brian Hammond23/07/2019 18:42:23
291 forum posts

Oh happy days, I built one in 1958 and sold it for7/6 to put towards an engagement ring fund, how stupid can you get? Still been married for 59 years , can,t be too bad.

Chris Freeman 326/07/2019 06:21:30
225 forum posts
292 photos

My son made me the stickers and delivered them last night so I had to put them on to see how it looks, very happy with the result.as40.jpgas41.jpgas43.jpg

Engine Doctor26/07/2019 08:56:05
2254 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 23/07/2019 15:15:02:

Thanks Colin, It is a nice build. Plans were very good for there age. Still a bit to do but should be ready to test fly before the event.

A casual day that we call our memorial day to remmember passed members and it is becoming a long list!

An excellent build yes

We also have a "Members Day" to remember our old mates and the list like yours is getting longer . We give a couple trophy's for Best build and Helpful Member on the day . Nice to hear that other clubs remember their old mates

Chris Freeman 329/07/2019 08:39:59
225 forum posts
292 photos

Well after some extra early mornings the Aeronca was finished and flown at the Memorial day. I am very happy with the wat it looks and flies, it was a rushed build as it was done in 5 weeks. The weather was great with very light winds and 22 dgress so not bad for a winters day! The Aeronca has an 83" wingspan and weighs 2.85kg so it is light. Plenty of power from the IMEX 2826 motor on 4 3700 cells and a 14x4 wood glow prop. No additional weight was needed for the balance and little trimming was needed which was a releif as I must admit to having reduced the negative incidence on the stab. The aircraft looks very good in the air and the color scheme is ver vissable.

Nice trophy's had been made for the day and I was lucky enogh to receive one. The only negative of the day is to hear all the names on the roll of honour when it was read and to see how old most of the membership is with no young blood in the clubas50.jpg

as44.jpgas49.jpg

colin wray 229/07/2019 12:32:09
3 forum posts

to chris freeman3 love your Aeronca Iwould be grateful if you can tell me how youjoined the wings to the fuselage

Chris Freeman 330/07/2019 06:05:28
225 forum posts
292 photos

Thanks Colin, the best part of the build is how well it flies! I have an Aluminum tube in the fuselage and on top of that fitting flush with the top of the fuselage between the 2 formers is a piece of ply. I drilled through this ply and the ali tube a little off center with a 3.5 mm drill and then inserted the wing with its ali tube which could have been a good wooden dowel or even a carbon tube and then drilled with a smaller drill. I removed the wing and tapped this hole to take a 3mm bolt. The bolt then holds the wing in position on the fuselage and I have found that only the front bolts are needed to support the wing. The struts are load carring struts and make a nice secure mounting of the wing.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris Freeman 330/07/2019 06:08:09
225 forum posts
292 photos

The Trick when drilling the holes tis to get them straighter than what I did!

as53.jpgas54.jpg

Chris Freeman 312/08/2019 10:56:38
225 forum posts
292 photos

My son flew the aeronca for the first time this weekend and was very impressed by how well it flies. Plenty of power and the rudder is very responsive so you can fly around like it is a foamie. Got a little video:

https://youtu.be/Ovt78Rnq1I4
Alan Gorham_12/08/2019 11:04:47
868 forum posts
95 photos

Lovely scale, gentle flying. You must be chuffed with that lovely model Chris!

Chris Freeman 312/08/2019 14:18:21
225 forum posts
292 photos

Thanks Alan. I am very Chuffed with this model. It is strange how rewarding some models are as the look good and fly well with far less effort than others that take a huge amount of time, effort and money to build yet continue to give more frustration than reward. I sometimes have to question my sanity with some models that I own when I can have so much fun with models like this.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us