Good ideas there.

Nigel R16/08/2019 12:02:23
3046 forum posts
475 photos

Nice one LHF.

Dad_flyer08/09/2019 20:39:52
146 forum posts
163 photos

I am still not finally happy with this one, but the great flying weather today has given some more information after some frustration over August.

In the first post I noted that this is a heavier model, and I find it does need all the thrust and speed it can get (on a 200W, 3s 1350kv motor). Some of the problems that I was having were when I had broken my 9x5 normal prop and was using a 9x4.7 SF. I did not expect that much difference, but today, back on a 9x5 normal prop it was much better. I have also bought a motor with a bit more grunt, but have not fitted that.

The second issue might be that the undercarriage I used was from an old foamie. It is prone to having wheels pointing in the wrong direction and is quite high, giving a high AOA. High AOA might be a reason for getting airborne too early and then being out of control. So today I flew it hand launched without wheels and belly landed. Flew very nicely. Certainly felt less twitchy than the lighter FliteTest Storch which was the point. The only problem came when I was launching and child_flyer took it at less than full throttle.

Still learning how to get the model settled...

Dad_flyer08/09/2019 22:11:53
146 forum posts
163 photos

This build started because the FT Storch had elevator trouble. The foam board joining the two elevators is only 3/4" wide where it goes through the rudder and had gone soft and bendy. I thought about different ways to strengthen it with a bit of ply or something, but nothing seemed to be able to slip in, be light and also go far enough across the elevators.

Going out today child_flyer wanted to take the Storch, not the Legacy. So we took both. As I walked out of the house I saw the wire hanger from an old calendar, and a pile of old clarinet reeds. A plan formed and whilst resting between flights we took pliers, knife, file and glue to make this joiner.

img_20190908_211904124~2.jpg

img_20190908_211825014.jpg

Bent the wire into a conventional elevator joiner shape and used thick cyano to stick it to the elevators. Then made a grove in the thick ends of a couple of reeds to go over the top and cyano on those as well. It seems very effective and child_flyer was able to fly it (flew Legacy as well).

Denis Watkins09/09/2019 06:46:30
3875 forum posts
58 photos

Perfect fix DF,

" Found Materials " are a very valid and significant part of our hobby.

Recently, I needed a short bit of pipe to modify a Saito 62FS header outlet,

Standard Lamp light fittings are the very same thread, available as inner or outer

at around £1, M10 x 1.0mm thread, job done

Dad_flyer15/09/2019 17:05:51
146 forum posts
163 photos

Several flights last week, and 6 more today. Today there was a bit more wind, and it flies vey nicely in calm or not. For the last couple I put the undercarriage back on. Takeoff first time was again difficult. Eager to leave the ground, but seemingly too slow to fly once airborne. Also a rapid roll to the right which was hard to counter with no ailerons. Second takeoff ended nose down/on its back. Gave up and hand launched. Flying was fine, and landing ok (never going to be as easy as belly landing).

Covering is now finished, in homage to the Wot Trainer which gives really clear orientation.

img_20190915_112750868_hdr~2.jpg

img_20190915_112806060_hdr~2.jpg

The Eascoat red is rather orange.

Several things to try next:

1: Is it just me? - get someone else to try it on the wheels.

2: More power. I shall need to make more space for cooling ESC and Battery.

3: Connect up ailerons.

4: Make a lower undercarriage, or a belly skid.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us