Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Think I've been spammed!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SIMON CRAGG16/07/2019 17:01:23
375 forum posts
5 photos

A week ago somebody replied to my BMFA wanted ad for an engine. After a bit of negotiation, I decided to part company with £100, as the seller seemed 100% legit (decent photos / average price etc. etc). I should have smelt a rat when the seller had no PayPal, So like a lemon I completed a bank transfer. Seller confirmed receipt and promised to post last Thursday. His address is ok, but his name does not tie in with it, so cannot phone. Think I might have to put this down to experience, but I could kick myself............or worse. Nothing I can do..........or is there?.

cymaz16/07/2019 17:37:21
8531 forum posts
1150 photos

If it’s a bank transfer then I don’t think there’s much hopesad

If the bank isn’t playing ball, they may turn round and say “ you let the money go out of your own free will”.

Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news

Denis Watkins16/07/2019 17:38:01
3746 forum posts
179 photos

Scoundrels, have to be polite, well spoken, well dressed people Simon

And they have to appear genuine to succeed

Your Bank needs to know, and the fraud squad may already know the individual

The whole thing is heart breaking and distasteful

The Last 3 tradesmen I employed, were paid by bank transfer after their task, but this is such a convenient way to budget, and deal

I did COD recently, Cash on Delivery, and I paid the delivery man

SIMON CRAGG16/07/2019 19:21:57
375 forum posts
5 photos

My fault entirely. It might turn up in the next couple of days, but I doubt it. I have tried to tie in a phone number with the address he gave, but no joy. Also three e.mails have been met with stony silence. I don't usually fall for this sort of thing, which is the worst bit. Not sure if I am allowed to name and shame on here, but I would hate others to be caught. Buyer beware I suppose.

Don Fry16/07/2019 19:55:31
3735 forum posts
42 photos

One "proper" clue, he has a valid bank account number. Dont banks have procedures in place to identify their clients. You bank might have some advice, if asked.

Geoff Parkes17/07/2019 08:20:45
100 forum posts

This is sad, I assume that the majority of users on this site are of a certain age, where we took a mans word as his bond, I have sold and purchased many items on various sites, I must have been lucky, selling ,as soon as I receive the cheque i post out the goods, buying ,I come to agree some method of payment and have so far never had a bad experience, I guess I will have to revise my method of trading, another example of wanting to go back to the good old days.

Bill Reed17/07/2019 08:45:45
66 forum posts
2 photos

it is so easy to be taken in by these people, they are experts on sounding and looking like decent people. I you are a honest trustworthy person its easy to be scammed. to have any sort of come back please use paypal and have the item sent by signed for service. at least you have some proof of the deal. even paypal can be unhelpful at times. fingers crossed it might turn up but looks iffy.

Engine Doctor17/07/2019 08:46:39
2254 forum posts
24 photos

Not good . It puts doubt in all of our minds when using the classifieds . I have been lucky like many others but do try to use Pay pal wherever possible but even that has its downside . A mate sold a TX via a wanted add said Tx was in good working order . The buyer paid via Pay pal . Then claimed that the TX didn't work and claimed a refund via Pay pal and returned the Tx . The screen had been swapped !

Was the person a registered BMFA member ? did they reply via the "ask a question" ? if they did then perhaps the BMFA have their contact details

It leaves a bad taste but you have to move on .

ps . hope it turns up in post

Nigel R17/07/2019 09:14:37
2935 forum posts
470 photos

Hope it works out ok.

An expensive lesson otherwise, that the internet provides anonymity for low lifes and thieves, use a service that offers some protection. Paypal is something, and probably the easiest option for classified type sales.

RC Plane Flyer17/07/2019 09:22:17
618 forum posts
22 photos

Hope all turns out well,. just my observation that some one puts a warning up about a scammer on fBMFA front page and it usually disapeared within the hour

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 17/07/2019 09:24:34

Martyn K17/07/2019 09:37:17
4857 forum posts
3538 photos

I got involved in a scam last year and parted with £75. As soon as I realised it was a scam (about 2 weeks after I place the order), I contacted the bank and they refunded the money and reversed the transfer. In my case I bought from a pop-up website (in Canada) advertised on FB which promptly disappeared.

You need to explain the situation (having no PP account is quite valid IMHO). They may ask you to wait a few days in case the goods do turn up but my bank (HSBC) were outstanding in the way they dealt with it.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 17/07/2019 09:37:51

i12fly17/07/2019 22:20:51
541 forum posts
21 photos

Another scam to watch is where the customer pays paypal then collects the item. The customer thenclaims they haven't received the item so paypal refunds them and deducts the money from your account. Can you prove that it was collected by the purchaser? Probably not. If an item is to be collected I always say cash on collection, but this is not always observed........

SIMON CRAGG18/07/2019 08:18:47
375 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Martyn K on 17/07/2019 09:37:17:

I got involved in a scam last year and parted with £75. As soon as I realised it was a scam (about 2 weeks after I place the order), I contacted the bank and they refunded the money and reversed the transfer. In my case I bought from a pop-up website (in Canada) advertised on FB which promptly disappeared.

You need to explain the situation (having no PP account is quite valid IMHO). They may ask you to wait a few days in case the goods do turn up but my bank (HSBC) were outstanding in the way they dealt with it.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 17/07/2019 09:37:51

Still no parcel, but good news from Barclays bank.

They were VERY helpful, and pretty much guaranteed my money back within 14 days.

They take a very dim view of this sort of thing, and after some "back office fraud investigation" will refund me the £100 and freeze the sellers bank account. Perfect!.

Major lesson learnt here, but the guy was so convincing, said all the right things a modeller would say etc!

Peter Miller18/07/2019 08:43:54
10016 forum posts
1185 photos
10 articles

That is good news!

Also hhelpful for anyone caught in a similar way.

Nigel R18/07/2019 10:03:44
2935 forum posts
470 photos

"If an item is to be collected I always say cash on collection, but this is not always observed."

Must admit, my take if that happens -

Refund via paypal.

Reassert "apologies, but, my policy here is cash on collection."

If they object, something is amiss, walk away.

Cuban818/07/2019 10:43:38
2581 forum posts
12 photos

We're all at risk from clever scammers, they used to be called 'confidence tricksters' and this sort of nonsense is as old as the hills.

Please..................never, ever, do business on the phone from a cold caller, no matter what the subject of their call is. Never allow your interest to be piqued. Never, ever do business on the doorstep from a cold caller, one doesn't have to be rude when declining an offer or whatever, some sellers are genuine so a simple "no thank you", "please excuse me" and then close the door. Get into the habit and don't be swayed by some sob story, genuine traders usually haven't got the time to mess about.

And as for " This is Microsoft, your computer has a virus, let us help you" ...........need I say more.

Never, ever, believe a call out of the blue from your bank or credit card company is genuine - phone them back on a different line. If something is wrong, you'll find out PDQ. I had this recently, no way was I going to discuss it on the phone without checking, so a quick call to my bank on my land line did in fact confirm what they thought was suspicious activity on my card, but was actually quite OK.

I'd used pay at pump to buy a gallon of petrol for the mower, and then straight afterwards I tried to use the card at the same pump to pay for diesel. Card was declined, so paid in the shop with another card. Phonecall on my mobile from the bank soon after, that I returned and sorted as soon as I got home as above.

My elderly mother-in-law (despite repeated warnings) signed up for a 'free roof check' from a door to door caller. When I asked her why, as we'd said time and time again to beware of such things, her answer was "the chap seemed so nice"!!!!. I manged to intercept the 'nice chap' in the next street and politely but firmly got him to remove my MIL from his hit list.

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/07/2019 10:45:34

SIMON CRAGG18/07/2019 12:36:50
375 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 18/07/2019 10:43:38:

We're all at risk from clever scammers, they used to be called 'confidence tricksters' and this sort of nonsense is as old as the hills.

Please..................never, ever, do business on the phone from a cold caller, no matter what the subject of their call is. Never allow your interest to be piqued. Never, ever do business on the doorstep from a cold caller, one doesn't have to be rude when declining an offer or whatever, some sellers are genuine so a simple "no thank you", "please excuse me" and then close the door. Get into the habit and don't be swayed by some sob story, genuine traders usually haven't got the time to mess about.

And as for " This is Microsoft, your computer has a virus, let us help you" ...........need I say more.

Never, ever, believe a call out of the blue from your bank or credit card company is genuine - phone them back on a different line. If something is wrong, you'll find out PDQ. I had this recently, no way was I going to discuss it on the phone without checking, so a quick call to my bank on my land line did in fact confirm what they thought was suspicious activity on my card, but was actually quite OK.

I'd used pay at pump to buy a gallon of petrol for the mower, and then straight afterwards I tried to use the card at the same pump to pay for diesel. Card was declined, so paid in the shop with another card. Phonecall on my mobile from the bank soon after, that I returned and sorted as soon as I got home as above.

My elderly mother-in-law (despite repeated warnings) signed up for a 'free roof check' from a door to door caller. When I asked her why, as we'd said time and time again to beware of such things, her answer was "the chap seemed so nice"!!!!. I manged to intercept the 'nice chap' in the next street and politely but firmly got him to remove my MIL from his hit list.

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/07/2019 10:45:34

All good info, but is easy to be wise after the event. This guy was so convincing, sounded, and had the right modelling phrases. Hopefully, Barclays will nail him. Don't suppose I will ever know. I thought I was fairly street wise to these sort of things, but obviously not. Never again!.

Bill Reed18/07/2019 15:16:38
66 forum posts
2 photos

Simon ,great news. I was going to say at the time BUT did not want to get hopes up. Its really hard to open a bank account up now, so if he was a con man, they might feel responsible?

SIMON CRAGG18/07/2019 16:59:57
375 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Bill Reed on 18/07/2019 15:16:38:

Simon ,great news. I was going to say at the time BUT did not want to get hopes up. Its really hard to open a bank account up now, so if he was a con man, they might feel responsible?

Bill, possibly.

They were VERY keen to help, and told me not to worry!.

I think they are as fed up with these people as much as we are.

Apart from his phone number, I kept everything including e.mails address (probably false) etc.

I have learnt a huge lesson from this, and my reason for circulating on here is to hopefully prevent others from being as daft!

cymaz18/07/2019 17:30:47
8531 forum posts
1150 photos

I nearly got scammed a year or so back. I sold an item on BMFA Classifieds. A cheque arrived but it was approx £100 too much.

Everything about this cheque looked 100%. I even checked the sort code and made sure the bank address matched. The only thing was there were no perforations down the left of the cheque.

If you don’t know this one...the “ purchaser” sends you a cheque over the amount on a duff cheque. You send him the goods and the balance with a good cheque. The cheque you have bounces. He now has extra cash and the goods.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us